sony mdr-v700.
Mar 20, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 14
IMHO the most uncomfortable headphones Ive ever tried. Hard letherette pads that crush my ear cartilage. Big fart cannons strapped to your ears.... Little sub bass extension, or midrange projection. Treble is also recessed a bit IMHO.

IMHO for the same $$$ an amped portapro stomps em'.

IMHO for the under $150 range the SR60/80, MDRV6, Used DT770-80, modded Maxell HP2000, K240s, DT250-80, K501, CD780, HD580, e2c, e3c, KTXpro1, UR40, KSC50, CD580 are better for the $$$

An arguement could be made that theyre designed for DJ purposes, and acoustically are designed to simulate the acoustics of a DJ PA system.

IMHO for music listening those things should be avoided, unless you can get them for cheap, but then I cant imagine wearing those for longer than ~40 minutes.

Mar 20, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 14
They really should be avoided at all costs. They get very uncomfortable and very hot. The sound is muddied and muffled. They definitely have a bass hump, but no deep bass extension at all. They lack detail.. I could go on and on about how bad they are.

I had them before I got my A500s. The A500s walk all over them in every way they could. Bass extends all the way down, they're detailed. Theres no muddied or muffled sound. They're EXTREMELY comfortable. I have worn them for 8 hours with no problems at all. My ears did get a little *warm*, but nothing a little 5 minute break didn't help. With the V700s, once your ears get hot, you're done for the night.

Avoid the V700s at all costs. There are much better headphones in the price range. The A500s being one of your best, and most comfortable options.

Mar 21, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 14
One word:

OUCH!
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Heres another vote for "STAY AWAY!" They clamp down on your head like a vise. I usually listen all night. I dont take them off till I get up in the morn. And I couldnt do that with them. I took them back after the first night.

Mar 21, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #9 of 14
Funny that this just showed up, as I just posted something about these..

After about 30mins. to an hour of listening, my ears literally hurt because of the weight and clamp-like fit. Despite this, I found them very prone to slipping if you like to nod your head a bit when listening.

Soundwise? In short, extremely uncomfortable, and imo, muddy sounding in the midrange. The bass range is nicely extended, but it's overpowering for my tastes. Bass fiends would probably love it, though.

Ultimately, they just aren't worth the money.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Yes, this thread is 6 years old, but I think the search function is there for a reason so I decided to use it, instead of creating a whole new thread. Since these cans are so frowned upon here among the audiophiles there are pretty much zero (0) objective reviews on them. This has driven me crazy, so I'll type up what I have to say about them in a semi-objective review. I'm not an audiophile, but it's not only audiophiles who use headphones (or this site, for that matter).

I'm listening to these cans right now. They don't hurt my (small) ears and I'm not at all affected by how tightly they clamp (average head size). However, I can see how they would be very uncomfortable to a person with larger ears or head, as the grip is very firm. The cups are very shallow.

After nearly a month to burn these in, here's what I've pulled from them so far. The bass in these is HUGE and I wouldn't call it perfectly accurate but it is punchy and better than any sub 70$ cans I've heard. Very good for beat matching in a loud club. The mids and highs are recessed to the point of my girlfriend (totally inaudiophilic) instantly noticing how muffled they are in a before/after eq test, so I always try to eq them for best performance. There is a muddiness in the .5khz-2khz levels, and some sibilance. The sound quality is not exactly quality but they may satisfy bass heads. Honestly, tho, if you're coming from something like skullcandy or just some cheap on-ear phones you'll likely not be disappointed with spending the money on them (I was coming from Behringer HPX2000 and these blow them out of the water). Do NOT spend more than ~85$ on these. There are better cans on the market for that price. It may not sound like it, because I'm trying to be honest here, but I really actually do like these headphones. For 76$ they sound good and they do what they were designed to do. They look slick, too!

Isolation is good. I can hear the people around me when there's nothing coming through them, but once I start listening I'm in my own little world. Nothing gets out or in.

I hear these have an issue with breaking at the swivel joint (which I certainly can imagine just by feeling the mechanism) but I also heard that they reinforced the hinges in their newer models (which this is). The reinforcement being unconfirmed, I may or may not be able to comment on the durability in the coming months! I've read that some have had the same pair of these cans for a decade or more, and then some who break them after a month... so I think it's more telling of the individual than the equipment.

I'm currently looking into replacements such as AT ATH-m50 or Xone XD-53... maybe HDJ-2000 if I'm feeling loose lolz. None of these are the most accurate or offer the best sound stage or anything like that... but these are actually portable and affordable! I'm into the EDM scene mostly, so I think my choices would work well for listening applications in that genre as well as functioning in the club =)

Edit: Just found a nice and easy modification which (to my ears) significantly improved the mids and highs of the v700s. Under the ear pads are foam disks and canvas disks. I removed the foam disks and left the canvas disks. The "muffled" quality I was talking about was an actual muffle rather than an issue with the speakers. They're even more comfortable too! This modification trades off a little isolation and sibilance for a greater perceived range, slightly more comfort (to my small ears), and increased sound stage.

Haters don't hate! Oh, first post btw =D

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 14
I had these for over 3 years. They were not comfortable, but I have a high pain tolerance and was able to manage.

The reason I bought them was because of the low frequency response. My old Technics (which are still my gold standard for audio quality) had an almost identical frequency response. The Sony pair did sound very good to my ears, using all unamped equipment (cd/mp3/minidisk players). They sounded good enough that I never considered replacing them, only making them more comfortable.

The hinges never gave me a problem, no matter how many times they were dropped or stepped on (which was often!). The only reason I replaced them is because the ear pads completely disintegrated.

After replacing these with a pair of Denon DN-HP1000, I could tell the Denon wasnt nearly as good subjectively. The Denons did improve with burn-in, but never quite gave me the same feeling as the Sonys. Which brings me to why I started browsing head-fi, which is to replace the Denons with something more comfortable (they are just as bad as the Sonys, hard and hot) that sound better, especially with higher quality amplification.

Needless to say, audio is subjective, I loved the Sonys, I got many years of audio quality that was good enough for me to ignore the comfort issues, which says a lot! If anyone has ever considered owning a pair, I would find someone who has it and try it out, you might like it. I listen to much less portable music now so low impedance headphones look like less of a long term purchase, unless I go on vacation. FYI, the Sonys were a godsend for air travel, they blocked out 80% of the cabin noise, almost as good as noise canceling headphones which cause me headaches.

That being said, I am also going to be buying the M50 as well as some DT880 600 ohm cans in the very near future, unless I change my mind again about what kind of sound I am looking for.

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 14
I have had a pair of the original MDR-V700's (not the ones labeled DJ) for more years than I can remember, and I enjoy them very much.  Let's get something out of the way:  the gripe about them pressing against your head too hard is absolutely true!  I have a big head so this was a problem; after an hour or so I needed those beasts off my ears.  But there is a trick to this, by bending the head strap in the opposite direction (opening them) with your hands on the strap (not on the cans) because there is a metal band inside.  Obviously, you want to be careful, here but you get the idea.  It worked for me, and now they are just snug.

As for the complaint that they like to slide off your ears if you bob your head here and there, I've only had them move off my ears if I moved in an extreme fashion (looking down or up, abruptly) or if there was tension on the cord when I tried to look whatever direction.  It's true that these don't cup OVER your ears or at least not my big ears.

Actually, I just ordered a new pair of ear foams off Amazon for $6.  They come out of China, but they look and feel good and they went on easily so I'm back to listening with them without having to see and feel the gross, dirty, cracked, original pads, and this way I don't feel embarrassed trying to give someone a listen on them.  Thankfully, these cans sound great on my Evo 4G, which I was worried about because they are less than 32-Ohms.  I'm really looking forward to getting my retro listening rig back up with a Sound Blaster 16 so I can use the powered output to run these cans, again.  They are still be far from their maximum power handling, but it's worlds more than pretty much any other amplified device I will come in contact with.  I think the last time I calculated the estimated power-output it was about 300mW with a 9V Vs @ 24-Ohms.

Anyway, I like my set even if there are many cans which sound better.

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 14
Are you sure about non-DJ version? I couldn't find anything on the net about different MDR-V700 versions

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 14
No, it's probably the same thing, but older.  I thought the lack of DJ on the side was a give-away, but now I notice none of them have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back