Sony MDR-V6 vs. MDR-7506 (and Beyer pads)
Jul 30, 2003 at 4:15 PM Post #31 of 47
I have the Beyer pads on the way too. So other than maybe more base, is there any other changes to the sound? I love the way my MDR 7506s sound, but they could be more comfortable, hence the new pads.

Jul 31, 2003 at 11:52 AM Post #32 of 47
What I'm saying here is that to me the Sony stock pads sound better than the V6 with Beyer pads. With the Beyer pads I find the mids to be a bit recessed. Comfort factor of course goes to the Beyer pads.

Jul 31, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 47
I'll help you in approximately 3 years
redface.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:00 PM Post #35 of 47
I thought it would be appropriate and funny to bring this thread back to life. I did the right thing and searched for the answer I was looking for, instead of creating a new thread, however.... I didn't exactly find the answers I was looking for, hence my re-hashing this thread.

My question is this: Aside from the gold tip plug on the 7506, are there ANY differences between it and the V6's? I'm most likely going to purchase one of the 2 shortly, and from what I'm to understand, they're both the same ? I've price checked both and the 7506's are always at least $20-$30 more expensive. Is there a justification for this, or is it a form of trickery ? (or an import sort of thing ?)

thanks.
S.S.

Oct 16, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
I did the right thing and searched for the answer I was looking for, instead of creating a new thread, however.... I didn't exactly find the answers I was looking for, hence my re-hashing this thread.

confused.gif

There are *many* threads discussing your very question.

Quote:

My question is this: Aside from the gold tip plug on the 7506, are there ANY differences between it and the V6's?

Apart from the color of the plug, and the stickers on each side, they are identical. Sony charges more for the 7506 because it's in their "pro" line.

Oct 16, 2003 at 8:16 PM Post #37 of 47
Well, some believe the 7506 is the exact same product as the V6 but produced from parts of ensured quality. When you mass produce anything, you are sure to have huge discrepancies in quality, and perhaps they assemble the 7506 using the parts that pass the check for a certain quality level as their target consumer are professionals. Thus, the price is higher. Some owners of multiple V6's have in fact noted a slight (barely noticeable) difference but I guess that's not really a fact at all.

But there is no evidence of this and of course, Sony would not reveal anything.

Oct 16, 2003 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

There are *many* threads discussing your very question.

alright. perhaps I didn't look TOO hard.
wink.gif
I just couldn't resist bringing the thread up though, since one of the posts made reference to the thread never dying or something.

In anycase, thank you both very much.

Oct 16, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Csidinim
Well, some believe the 7506 is the exact same product as the V6 but produced from parts of ensured quality. When you mass produce anything, you are sure to have huge discrepancies in quality, and perhaps they assemble the 7506 using the parts that pass the check for a certain quality level as their target consumer are professionals. Thus, the price is higher. Some owners of multiple V6's have in fact noted a slight (barely noticeable) difference but I guess that's not really a fact at all.

These theories have also be discussed ad nauseum. And the evidence strongly disproves them, IMO. But some people will forever be skeptics
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #40 of 47
aren't the 7506 blessed by a rabbi and v6 are not? kosher headphones is the way to go, imho.
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 2:23 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

aren't the 7506 blessed by a rabbi and v6 are not? kosher headphones is the way to go, imho.

Haha. Very funny. I suppose that the Kosher models can be purchased at B&H except on Saturdays then eh ?
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
Jude, can you somehow fix these links (unless the site wasn't
yours)? I'd like to see these pictures.

Thanks

I would also like to see the pics, would it be too much of a hassle to put them back up?

Mar 18, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #43 of 47
I bought the V6 a few weeks ago and they sound great. The only downside, they do tend to hurt my ears a little after I've worn them for awhile.

The pads press down on my ears in a way that makes them feel uncomfortable. I was thinking about the Beyer Pads.

Is there a definite improvement of comfort in terms of how the pads set on your ears? These just lay on the outsides of my ears so they press down toward the head -- do you think the beyers would improve this issue? They look really "pillowy" so I would assume they don't have as much 'hard pressure' against your ears. Is this true?

Thanks!!

-Ax1
280smile.gif

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #44 of 47
I recently bought the v6's and just ordered the beyer pads. I dont have either yet but ill be glad to tell how it sounds and how easy/difficult it is to put the pads on. My main use will be for my computer with an Audigy sound card but maybe I'll use it for other things once my sense of "audiophileism" kicks in
wink.gif
Looks like the price has jumped a little to 19.99 and shiping for me was $6. Somewhat of a random bump for an ancient thread but, maybe this will help someone who might be in a similar postion.

Jun 28, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #45 of 47
Well I have been using the v6's for awhile now and I am very pleased with them. I get no static or hissing even at max volume. I havent really been playing any games that have great audio; been playing Dungeon Siege and Gunbound. Still both sound great and there is definatley a difference between my old phones (Koss UR20) and the v6's. AFAIK the audigy series only pumps out 32 Ohms for the headphone jack no matter what version. These headphone technically require 64 but, they sounds fine to me. It seems everone here says that you benefit from an amp, but being on a budget and mostly using the headphones for gaming and some music it really isnt a big deal to me. They sound great the way they are!
I have also knocked them on the floor at least a dozen times and they are fine. These things are built to last!
As for the "spring cord" it really isnt a big as a deal as I thought it would be. I thought it would keep getting stuck on my desk or the back of my computer case but it happens very rarely and when it does, just a little tug and its fine once again.
I also took some pics of my little escipade:

The old original pads. They were flaking off and it got black stuff everywhere. You can see that there is a little sheet of fabric on the inside. I chose to leave that in so it wouldnt be blasting directly into my ear and for the added comfort. I used plain old elmers glue to attach them around the earpiece.
Old%20pads8b650.jpg

The driver of the v6's. Here you can see another piece of fabric around the driver. This is a discomforting for a little bit of time until you and the phones adjust to one another. Now I can easily wear them close to two hours.
Driver8b650.jpg

The new pads! So soft! So smooth! OOh Aaaah. Getting these on are kinda tough. I could have used an additional set of arms to hold it and poke it in with my fingernail at the same time.
New%20Pads8b650.jpg

The finished product. Ta Dah! Comfy and Plush!
Finished%20Product8b650.jpg

This is all I can think of for right now. If anyone even reads this thread again or finds it on a search, Ill anwser any more questions you may have. Ill see you on the radio!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back