Sony MDR-V6 Opinions
Jan 1, 2011 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Trollzama-V6

New Head-Fier
I'm somewhat of a noob (Just joined today) and I would like to hear some of your guys's opinions on the Sony MDR-V6 cans. You see, I've just bought them and I've seen some mixed opinions. Some people say they're the best sub-100$ headphones you can get, while others absolutely hate them. So If you have opinions, post them here.

Also, if you want to post suggestions for headphones, feel free.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 90
 If you just bought them, why do you care what other people think?

smile_phones.gif

In the end, it's only about what you think.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 90
I voted awful they are very sterile and empty sounding like the mids were completely sucked out of them.
The bass is pretty sucked out of them too. Drums sound so off and empty guitars can sound really bad.
They can sound okay for some stuff but more music you throw at them you eventually hear that something is very wrong.
And if you compare them to a correct sounding pair if you can't detect the problems they become more than apparent.
Really don't understand the popularity besides the name brand.

But if you like them then whatever.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 90

Quote:
I voted awful they are very sterile and empty sounding like the mids were completely sucked out of them.
The bass is pretty sucked out of them too. Drums sound so off and empty guitars can sound really bad.
They can sound okay for some stuff but more music you throw at them you eventually hear that something is very wrong.
And if you compare them to a correct sounding pair if you can't detect the problems they become more than apparent.
Really don't understand the popularity besides the name brand.

But if you like them then whatever.

Out of my amp I'd be inclined to agree, but from just about every MP3 player, and directly off my computer, they were very fun. Particularly in the bass department. Very, very thumpy. And the mids are there, but you just have to EQ the highs down a bit. After that I'd say they are every bit as good as my K271's, just a different flavor.

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 90
The V6 has a weird pad that sits like an oversized supraaural which affects sound quality. I have an old beat up pair where the inner pad stiching has come undone, and now the pad sits circumaurally and it's actually much more comfortable and sounds better because the seal has improved.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 90
I really enjoy my pair, and with beyer pads they are super confy
beyersmile.png
. I can listen to trance and metal for hours. I have heard and own better cans, but they are a very solid choice.

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 90
I've been wondering about doing that mod to my V6s once they get here... Some questions though...

1.) Does the velour mod decrease it's sound quality any more?

2.) Is it hard to do the mod?

Thanks for your opinions, I would still like a bit more though
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 90

Quote:
I've been wondering about doing that mod to my V6s once they get here... Some questions though...

biggrin.gif

FWIR, it doesn't affect SQ. It's also quite easy to do. Can't speak for myself though, I've never done it, this is just what I've read on here.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #13 of 90

Definitely Interested in reading impressions of how different pads change the sound of the v6.
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #14 of 90
I got my 10 year old V6's out of storage a few weeks ago where they had been sitting unused for 4-5 years, and the stock ear cushions on one side were pulling apart pretty badly, the other side was in better shape, but had still seen better days. I ended up buying the Pearstone velour pads from B&H for $20 and received them a few days later. Very easy to install and they are much more comfortable now than with the stock cushions. I think they are a decent headphone for the money, are pretty durable and don't sound bad to my ears.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 90
I have a V6 and I've A/B'd them with the Beyer pads and stock. Bass seems a bit more 'boomy' with the beyer pads, possibly because of the larger size of the pads. Comfort wasn't really improved, the Beyer pads aren't as soft as the stock. The size of the stock pads wasn't really an issue to me, I was just curious and had $20 to burn. Maybe I'm weird, I find my SR80i's to be pretty comfortable too.. 

They're a great compliment to my SR80i's, where the Sony are lacking, the Grado excel, and vice versa. 

Here's a quick mod to make the stock pads more like the Beyers in terms of depth:

Take 3-4 squares of toilet paper and twist them up tight. I originally did this with a cheapo brand, so I used 2-ply. This time it was with some cushy stuff, so I pulled apart the layers and used 3.5 squares for both pads.

Start somewhere and tuck the paper under the pad, it should go around twice.

Pad puffiness increased! Modded pad is on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back