Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #226 of 517
Oh sorry yeah was under the impression they were past warranty... Warranty doesn't cover damage though, only defective parts and such. If it's at all evident that they were dropped and the cord pulled out, they likely will charge you for the repairs, so whether they're under warranty or not probably will make no difference.  Really sad to hear!  My pair must be now almost 7 years old...  Sad thing, being 100$ or so headphones, probably even less now, repairs are almost ridiculously expensive, especially from big brand names like Sony.  :frowning2:

Sep 25, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #228 of 517
To those who compared the graphs of V6 and 7506 before buying...

Most say they both share the sound "signature"

But let's have closer look when you narrow it down to 10db window

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2361&graphID[]=1513&scale=10

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #229 of 517
They use the same drivers, in the same housing, with the same pads. If you ask for a V6 driver, Sony will give you a 7506 driver as they have stopped making the original V6 drivers. Possibly the original V6's sound different, but the modern V6 is the 7506 with a different sticker and cable. 

The only audible difference would be less crosstalk in the 7506 due to different wiring. 

The differences can be explained by:
-Testing variation. 
-Manufacturing variation.

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #230 of 517
Here's what I noticed from late last year to early this year... When MDR V6 was de-listed from Sony website B&H Photo's Senal brand releases the SMH 1000.

With V6's dwindling fast on amazon... is it now safe to say SMH 1000 is the spiritual successor to the V6? 

Oct 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #231 of 517
So 9-19-13 is the day that marks the end of my Sony MDR-V6.

It was fun, but typically any Headphone's weak point is its wiring.

So in the morning of that yesterday i nearly dropped my headphones on the street ground on the walk toschool. i grabbed it by the cord as it was the last thing i could grasp.
Perhaps thats why my Wiring went bellyup.

next morning i notice a silver strand sticking out the connecting area of the earcup and decided it was not supposed to be there, so i pulled it out....

Couldnt listen with my headphones throughout the day since i was in class, but finally able to listen i was highly saddened that i hear no noise coming from the left speaker unless i try some unorthodox cord bending..

It was fun, I loved these headphones. But its either i send to Sony (being still under warranty) and wait it out a few days to do so.
Or move on to perhaps a better model....

I will guarantee THese are Durable headphones, though dont go jerking the cord to any headphone or any electronic with electrical cords for that matter..

So enough of my sadstory.
As of now they are resting in the original box as a tombstone.

Dont be a wuss. Open them up and resolder the cable. Easy-Peasy!
I did it to add a custom cable because I hated the original coiled POS, changing or resoldering the original cable is not hard to do at all.

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #232 of 517

Dont be a wuss. Open them up and resolder the cable. Easy-Peasy!
I did it to add a custom cable because I hated the original coiled POS, changing or resoldering the original cable is not hard to do at all.

Haha. Just as his die, I have had mine for almost 1 year now. These are my first and only "real" pair of headphones. Long live the V6!

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #233 of 517
Anyone know the difference between the v6 and the cd900st? I just had chance to listen to both of them. The sound is so much better with the cd900st, isnt? So curious that I couldnt stop myself from opening them up to see the differences. To my surprise, the drivers arent making any discrimination. I did an exchange and they both sounded same after all. The biggest surprise come later when I figured out that actually the cups of cd900st has 2 layers with 4 four holes on the top layer. Check this pic out: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/cuong_hoangchi/photo2.jpg . In the v6 there's nothing there. So anyone know what the structure is? this reminded me of the bass reflex in loudspeakers...

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #235 of 517
  Thanks for sharing that pic Martin. Is there some kind of padding inside the cup behind that panel with the holes?

No nothing behind, just gap and the outer layer. I did, so-called, an air blowing test to see if there's any other holes. But that's it: 4 holes, two layers, wonderful sound!! I think because there are two layers with holes so the bass is enhanced and the depth is shallower so the mid and high might be more forwarding and clearer also...Awesome Japanese engineers!

Oct 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #236 of 517
  No nothing behind, just gap and the outer layer. I did, so-called, an air blowing test to see if there's any other holes. But that's it: 4 holes, two layers, wonderful sound!! I think because there are two layers with holes so the bass is enhanced and the depth is shallower so the mid and high might be more forwarding and clearer also...Awesome Japanese engineers!

Cool! If the cups are otherwise the same (depth wise), I bet one could fabricate a similar panel with holes (and spacers) that fits in there... should be easy enough to experiment with.

Oct 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #237 of 517
Hi guys,

Just got the Sony MDR 7506 from Guitar Center for $77, and I am really enjoying them!  This is my first headphone purchase and I listened to the Shure 440, Sennheiser 280 Pro, and a couple others.  I found the Sonys had the most complete sound, clear highs, defined mids, and better bass than all the ones I listened to.  They are quite comfortable, though I may grab a set of the velour Beyerdynamic pads that fit these.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #238 of 517

This is certainly an interesting discovery! Please post more pics of the cd900st internals if you can!

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #239 of 517
This is pretty interesting. The drivers on V6 are capable of sounding better. I don't know if this relates to the two holes, but try drilling tiny(less than 1mm) holes to the cups. You will notice the much fuller and rounder sound with super punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back