Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Jul 7, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #422 of 517
happy_face1.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #423 of 517
I just bought a pair of the V6's with a removable cable mod for 15$. I slapped HM5 pads on them and I can say it's one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. Sound wise I find them on par with the K240 studio from memory, with these having the edge in much much better bass, but with more harshness in the upper mids and treble, and not as smooth and warm, and soundstage isn't near as good... I think they're an excellent sounding headphone, and from memory, I do also prefer these to the ATH-M50 and M50X.

EDIT: Build wise... They feel more solid than either headphone. By a large margin.

How would you compare the sound signature and soundstage, of the V6 with the HM5 velour pads, as compared to the V6 with stock pleather pads ?

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #424 of 517

How would you compare the sound signature and soundstage, of the V6 with the HM5 velour pads, as compared to the V6 with stock pleather pads ?

Bigger, more precise sound stage with clearer bass and treble, all the clarity and control it sorely lacked before.  The headphone becomes more analytical as a result.  The bass is very balanced.  Beware that the upper midrange peaks will become a little stronger.  The current thicker pads are too much for me, the headphone becomes very shrill and nasal.  I'm using the thinner HM5s that came out first that lack memory foam, these don't exacerbate the upper mids very much.  If you get a set of HM5s, squish them under a pile of books for a couple of days.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #425 of 517

Bigger, more precise sound stage with clearer bass and treble, all the clarity and control it sorely lacked before.  The headphone becomes more analytical as a result.  The bass is very balanced.  Beware that the upper midrange peaks will become a little stronger.  The current thicker pads are too much for me, the headphone becomes very shrill and nasal.  I'm using the thinner HM5s that came out first that lack memory foam, these don't exacerbate the upper mids very much.  If you get a set of HM5s, squish them under a pile of books for a couple of days.

Good Description.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #426 of 517
I use pleathers.  Actually, I should add that its the subbass sounds balanced, upper and mid bass are still boosted.  Upper mids isn't full of peaks now that I double check, it's just that the upper midrange slopes "upward" towards the treble before dropping off after 7kHz.

It sounds closer to flat to me with this:

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #428 of 517
so how is the fit of the pads on the headphone itself ?

Beyerdynamic DT250 pads fit perfectly into the mounting bezel, but the pad itself is slightly bigger and former. And of course the velour is nicer than pleather to me. But I saw this image of the pads I think you're referring to, compared with stock pads, here:

That doesn't look like it fits the outer bezel the pad edge normally fits in.

Jul 15, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #429 of 517
so how is the fit of the pads on the headphone itself ?

Beyerdynamic DT250 pads fit perfectly into the mounting bezel, but the pad itself is slightly bigger and former. And of course the velour is nicer than pleather to me. But I saw this image of the pads I think you're referring to, compared with stock pads, here:

That doesn't look like it fits the outer bezel the pad edge normally fits in.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/589885/sony-mdr-v6-and-family-impressions-thread/360#post_11030247

It can but for best isolation, I don't use it.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #430 of 517
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but how do the HM5 earpads compare to the Beyer velour earpads? I have the velour currently.

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #431 of 517
We have three sets of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. The oldest set we bought back in 1991, the most recent were purchased in October 2014. Reading these appreciations confirms the exceptional quality we've experienced as well. Now the quandary. I'm looking at the Sony MDR 7520 or the Oppo PM-3 as possible upgrades. Having nothing else to compare to the V6, would the acquisition of the one or the other represent an improvement in sonics over the V6? What does the experience of others tell them?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #432 of 517
If they weren't upgrades, then people would be getting ripped off.  7520 has a good reputation.  I keep forgetting to try it out.  SA3000 murders my ears, maybe the 7520 will be more to my liking, and going by others' impressions, there's a good chance that it will.  7509HD was a worthwhile improvement in sound, even more so after modifications, though not quite as balanced as the V6.

Jul 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #433 of 517
^How would you compare the sound signature of the 7509HD to the V6 (besides being less balanced) ?

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #434 of 517
7509HD has stronger midrange than treble and bass, but then there's a sharp 10kHz peak in 7509's treble.  Bass is a bit clearer.  7509 is less of an all-rounder but has a very fun and more resolving sound.

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #435 of 517
I've been using my V6's for two and a half years, after browsing this site for awhile and considering a lot of different options. I'm thoroughly glad I made my choice, because I love these things. I don't have a perspective on what's "quality" headphones, but I notice their flatness easily and I love it. I have no idea how people enjoy cheap Beats and whatnot, they sound so muffled with an over-pronounced and muddy bass. I don't know what specific model they were, but I hated em. Oddly I had a friend of mine listen to my V6's, and his face literally lit up when he heard them, despite thinking that those same Beats sounded good. He seemed like he was strongly considering getting a pair himself. He graduated before me, so I've got no idea if he bought them or not.

The pads are completely shot to hell, but I still enjoy wearing them. Maybe I'm more tolerant than I should be, since I have totally exposed foam yet I can wear them for 8+ hours a day. I'm looking into the Auray Sheepskin pads that someone mentioned earlier, there's so many damn pads you guys have mentioned it's rough to find a good set. These look very durable though, whereas as soon as I looked at the stock pads I thought "Yeah these are going to break". Oddly they only started tearing after ~1.5 years of heavy use, so that says something. Dunno how much that's going to change the sound.

Overall, amazing headphones. They're perfect for me because I use them for everything. Gaming, music, and all manner of videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back