Sony MDR-V6 (and family) Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #392 of 517
Haven't been on head-fi in a long while because my interests have shifted largely towards, cycling, But I will give an update about my mdr-v6 headphones. They must have THOUSANDS of hours on them by now (I use them on average about 7 hours per day). They are about 2 and a half years old now, and still work like a charm. Everything works like new except the pads I replaced about a year ago. I am planning to keep these headphones for a long time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #393 of 517
I was wondering if any of you guys have ever seen the original retail box of the MDR-V4?
After a bunch of searches, I've noticed that the V2, V4 and V6 were remade by Sony a bit later under the names of 7502, 7504 and 7506 as you already know but the V3, V5 and V7 were forgotten in some way. There also was the MDR-V1 which was a low range cheap starter pair of headphones.
Anyway, I've noticed that the V3, V5 and V7 came in a different type of packaging. I think it's because they're not foldable like the V4 and V6. Plus these two were the only ones that came with a black Sony pouch. This is why I would like to know if they also share the same type of packaging.
If anybody is interested I have some pictures of the V3, V6, V7 and CD900 original boxes.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #394 of 517

I just joined the forum and read your Sony MDR V6 accolade. We have three sets of the V6, two of them now have Beyer velour ear pads, the newest pair were purchased along with a set of Beyer ear pads for future needs. We bought the very first V6 back in 1991. To be sure we are delighted with the sound. We imported our CD collection to iTunes at the highest quality setting, then donated the CDs to the public library for others to enjoy. Our music collection includes classical of all types, jazz, popular, country, folk. Currently we listen more to the collection than we did with physical media. A set of V6s is connected to our main audio/video system for movies and music. Although we occasionally run the system through speakers, headphones allow us to enjoy movies and music at preferred volume without disturbing others.

Today I'm at a crossroad to decide whether I should buy the Sony MDR 7520. I'm hesitant because so many audio professionals describe it as studio specific for mastering recordings, and I'm not certain if it fulfills listening needs for non-professional users.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #395 of 517
Just found that beauty while searching: 
Picture
Woaw! :blink: Our Japanese friends apparently made some really cool earpads for the V6/7506/CD900 series. They seem to be good quality pads. Anyway they match up pretty well with the headphones colors. I found these pads on Amazon JP for about 40 bucks. There are some other colors options. Thought I had to share this cool find with the V6 lovers here!  

Feb 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #398 of 517
It depends on which eBay pads you buy.  The ones with wrinkly texture are surely crap.  Smooth-textured earpads that I've tried from China for one headphone type or another have proven to be good stuff, though I haven't tried the ones for V6.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #399 of 517
I really like the V6. Portable, durable (except for the pads), and pretty comfortable for longer periods. For the price the sound is good, and it responds well to some equalizing (which it need to tame the highs). I think everyone should have a V6 in their collection. It's a classic. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #400 of 517
  I really like the V6. Portable, durable (except for the pads), and pretty comfortable for longer periods. For the price the sound is good, and it responds well to some equalizing (which it need to tame the highs). I think everyone should have a V6 in their collection. It's a classic. 
biggrin.gif

Replacing worn-out original Sony ear pads with a pair of Beyerdynamic EDT 250V velour ear pads heightens the comfort of the V6. The Beyerdynamic ear pads cost less than $24 at B & H Foto & Electronics. Fairly simple to install.

Feb 21, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #401 of 517
This is exactly what I did yesterday for my Japan V6 
bigsmile_face.gif

I unglued the original foam pieces instead of using the stock DT 250 ones since I've read it could change the sound signature somehow.
Even with these the sound is slightly deeper in the bass than it was before, not a big deal though.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #402 of 517

biggrin.gif

Replacing worn-out original Sony ear pads with a pair of Beyerdynamic EDT 250V velour ear pads heightens the comfort of the V6. The Beyerdynamic ear pads cost less than $24 at B & H Foto & Electronics. Fairly simple to install.

This is exactly what I did yesterday for my Japan V6 
bigsmile_face.gif

I unglued the original foam pieces instead of using the stock DT 250 ones since I've read it could change the sound signature somehow.
Even with these the sound is slightly deeper in the bass than it was before, not a big deal though.

I probably stated this earlier in this long thread, but I've read that broadcasting studios order cases of V6's and after-market velour pads  (often whatever B&H Photo has on hand).  When the boxes arrive, they rip off the Sony pads and replace them as soon as they pull them out.

P.S. I agree that everyone should have a V6 in their headphone inventory.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #403 of 517
I assume the size and depth of the earcups are the same(7506 and V6)? And how is the the clamping pressure? I wear glasses and this causes me problems if it's too much. Would these 2 cans work well with movies? 

Thanks

Feb 28, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #404 of 517
I assume the size and depth of the earcups are the same(7506 and V6)? And how is the the clamping pressure? I wear glasses and this causes me problems if it's too much. Would these 2 cans work well with movies? 

Thanks

Fantastic out of a TV, even better amped. Clamping force is light, but bass is still great. You can always bend the metal a bit watching out for the plastic hinge.

Google some cheap leather pads.

No issue here with wire frame glasses.

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #405 of 517
Fantastic out of a TV, even better amped. Clamping force is light, but bass is still great. You can always bend the metal a bit watching out for the plastic hinge.

Google some cheap leather pads.

No issue here with wire frame glasses.

Thanks. I would be plugging them into my A/V receiver HP jack. How is the ear space and depth of the cups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back