Sony MDR-V6/7506 Beyer pad mod with pics! (lots)
Aug 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #46 of 55
Heyy everyone!!! I just did the mod 5 mins ago and I love it! ♥ Thank you! It didn't take me that long to do it; my orig. pads were stitched so I carefully cut the stitching and pulled the string. The tricky part was, like a lot of people were saying, was getting the inside thing to stay and getting the beyer pads on the headphones. This whole process probably took me 10 mins. They are much more comfy and I love the slight incerase in bass. I don't have to turn up the bass in my Rockboxed Fuze anymore
beyersmile.png
 P.S. the pics arent showing..

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #47 of 55

Quote:
Heyy everyone!!! I just did the mod 5 mins ago and I love it! ♥ Thank you! It didn't take me that long to do it; my orig. pads were stitched so I carefully cut the stitching and pulled the string. The tricky part was, like a lot of people were saying, was getting the inside thing to stay and getting the beyer pads on the headphones. This whole process probably took me 10 mins. They are much more comfy and I love the slight incerase in bass. I don't have to turn up the bass in my Rockboxed Fuze anymore
beyersmile.png
 P.S. the pics arent showing..

the pics aren't showing becase this is a very old thread!!
wink.gif
I too use the velour pads, and yes it sounds a lot better IMHO. I love my 7506 and even though I have better and more expensive cans now, they will always be a keeper. These things are very revealing.

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #49 of 55
I really appreciate the guide!  After reading it I immediately placed an order with B&H for a set of pads to replace my originals from 1999. Their facing separated from the inner diameter long ago and in fact all of the pleather eventually worked its way off such that they are now a completely cloth fabric.  While they are still plenty comfortable their bass doesn't extend as low and is a bit muddy at times.  I opted to get a set of sheepskin pads from Auray for $30 because they looked comfortable & had the black mesh already attached to the cushion. If it turns out that I really don't like them I'll just pick up the beyers and won't be too far out of pocket

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #51 of 55
I got the pads in yest and they're really really nice, very comfortable, isolate well and they brought back the bass performance that was lacking , i feel like i got a new pair of headphones.  its been a looong time since these had fully functional pads so it would be difficult for me to try to make a comparison if these pads have an effect on sq as exactly compared to the stock ones, but they sound great.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #53 of 55
If anyone wants to try this for themselves, I discovered that the Beyerdynamic EDT-231V pads improve the V6 quite a lot.  I originally hated the V6, but due to circumstances I had to find a closed can to use for a trip my family was taking to Canada.  I thought I might try putting different pads I had onto the various closed cans I owned, and ended up discovering that the 231Vs absorbed all the resonances and ringing in the upper registers due to the velour, lifted the driver away from the ear, created a better seal, and created a very nice soundstage with laser precision imaging, improved the comfort and cleaned the bass up a lot, giving it huge impact and punch.  I wasn't expecting much, but ended up creating the best headphones I own.  I've since sold the HD600, RS2i, T50RP, and a few others, because the V6 is now just plain better.  Eventually I'm going to get an MDR-7520 and CD900st, and I'll try these pads on them too. :p

Fair warning, the 231Vs are supra, they should be worn with the back of your ear against the back inner wall of the pad, and when the pads are new, the fibers are stiff so it may itch, but after use your skins oils break the fibers down and make the velour extremely soft and comfortable.

Edit: I should note too, the pads don't fit the headphone, I put double sided tape on the outer rings on the back of the pads, and affixed them to the baffle like that, making sure to keep them centered and symmetrical.  On the sound, I consider these the ultimate (relative to what I've heard so far) casual listening headphones.  They're smooth, vibrant and rich with no hint of glare or harshness, but still render all the details naturally, (not throwing them in your face, a common problem I have with audiophile headphones) seem to conform fairly well to the ELC, (except the line keeps going down when it gets to the treble) and go chameleon with many of their traits, conforming to the source signal instead of forcing colorations or other traits onto the music.  They just seem to be utterly devoid of listening fatigue.  Improvements for me would be a bit less THD in the midbass, and some really nice and smooth, airy treble.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #54 of 55
  If anyone wants to try this for themselves, I discovered that the Beyerdynamic EDT-231V pads improve the V6 quite a lot.  I originally hated the V6, but due to circumstances I had to find a closed can to use for a trip my family was taking to Canada.  I thought I might try putting different pads I had onto the various closed cans I owned, and ended up discovering that the 231Vs absorbed all the resonances and ringing in the upper registers due to the velour, lifted the driver away from the ear, created a better seal, and created a very nice soundstage with laser precision imaging, improved the comfort and cleaned the bass up a lot, giving it huge impact and punch.  I wasn't expecting much, but ended up creating the best headphones I own.  I've since sold the HD600, RS2i, T50RP, and a few others, because the V6 is now just plain better.  Eventually I'm going to get an MDR-7520 and CD900st, and I'll try these pads on them too. :p

Fair warning, the 231Vs are supra, they should be worn with the back of your ear against the back inner wall of the pad, and when the pads are new, the fibers are stiff so it may itch, but after use your skins oils break the fibers down and make the velour extremely soft and comfortable.

Edit: I should note too, the pads don't fit the headphone, I put double sided tape on the outer rings on the back of the pads, and affixed them to the baffle like that, making sure to keep them centered and symmetrical.  On the sound, I consider these the ultimate (relative to what I've heard so far) casual listening headphones.  They're smooth, vibrant and rich with no hint of glare or harshness, but still render all the details naturally, (not throwing them in your face, a common problem I have with audiophile headphones) seem to conform fairly well to the ELC, (except the line keeps going down when it gets to the treble) and go chameleon with many of their traits, conforming to the source signal instead of forcing colorations or other traits onto the music.  They just seem to be utterly devoid of listening fatigue.  Improvements for me would be a bit less THD in the midbass, and some really nice and smooth, airy treble.

For all of those who think he's crazy (as I did), he lent me his V6 with this mod performed on it and I found every single statement to be true. The transformation caused by the 231Vs is absolutely incredible. It took my ears a while to get used to the massive amount of bass but once it did I couldn't take them off my head. The sound is incredibly smooth and completely free of any kind of harshness, something no headphone I own, have owned, or have heard has managed to do, and we're talking a LOT of gear here; just check my profile. 

And on top of that, the headphone is incredibly clear and clean, I mean seriously I had no way to explain what I was hearing. The headphone is wonderfully detailed and revealing without shoving it in your face or letting it get in the way. For the record, compared to this, the HD600 absolutely fails to do that, even though that's what the headphone is known for.

The fact that this level of sound is capable of coming out of a budget studio monitor from the 1980s is absolutely damn incredible. Hopefully someone else tries this; who knows, we might both be bat**** insane.

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #55 of 55
Though this is an old thread, it's still relevant for those of us with long-enjoyed Sony headphones, since the Beyer pads are still available, and I've found this works with another model of old Sonys.

I just put a set of the pads on my MDR-CD999 headphones, which aren't exactly the same as the V6/7506, but based on what I saw here, they seemed close enough to be worth trying.  I've had these since 1990, but haven't been using them much the last few years; the original pads held up longer than expected, but were really falling apart.

The new pads aren't a perfect fit -- the CD999s have a thin detachable plastic ring around the earpiece that held the original pads on. Without the ring, the Beyer pads are a bit too big; with the ring attached to the earpiece, the flap of the Beyer pads stretch enough over the ring to fit securely, they just don't reach all the way around and under the ring like the flap on the original pads did.  Other than that, the replacement was just as in the original post here:  success!

Thanks to all for the info here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back