Sony MDR-SA5000 review
Apr 20, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #211 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the SS seems inexistent on the DT48
redface.gif

Soundstage is the repercussion of deficient instrument separation.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #212 of 239
Quote:

but the SS seems inexistent on the DT48
redface.gif

The DT48a, I won't argue too much.. Very left to right, but how it delivers such stellar separation & individual space between instruments without a good sized sound stage is beyond me. The DT48e SS is about 20% smaller then the SA5000 IMO.. Some say the sound stage is on par with the DT880. I disagree, but a lot depends on the recording.. Some recordings sound more boxed in, others sound more open & expansive.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #214 of 239
Quote:

hehe ok, but the size of the cups worries me...the bigger the cups = the wider the SS IME...reason why Larry likes to make those grossly inflated woodies
biggrin.gif

How does that work with IEMs? IMO the larger the cups the more room for error; such as D2000 monotone bass is bouncing around in there and comes out delayed and flat. I do suppose this is corrected with semi open vents like on the DT880 but then you lose impact. Open them up further with the SA5000 and you're audio is even airier but at what cost...

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #215 of 239
I don't think IEM's are famous for their SS....except the high end models w/ several drivers embedded.

and they're right into the ear canal already, I really don't think that you'll get a 3D SS out of these...not w/o some Ultrasone-like SS technologies, that are mostly a hit and miss depending on each individual.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #216 of 239
That should be a nice combination!, both aesthetically, and in the sound...
A recable with a 7N cable as the Denon Ah-D5000, works wonders in the sound (extension in both sides, details and separation).

The SA3000s are a nice pair of headphones...

Quote:

I hate velours, dual ended and bassy phones...I want a sa3k w/ sa5k pads
tongue.gif

I've ordered the sa5k pads anyway, but I often read that the sa3k/5k SS is ridiculous...I'm not afraid to mod a sa3k to hell, though
evil_smiley.gif

and they share the same drivers SONY part, so they won't be the bottleneck....ah well, if I ever find a good priced second hand sa3k I'll give it a shot
smily_headphones1.gif

or possibly put those T50p beyer drivers in a sa1k using sa5k ear pads...prolly a much better idea
popcorn.gif

s2audio put some cd3k drivers in a sa1k, and its current owner tells me that they sound pretty good.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #217 of 239
Quote:

hehe ok, but the size of the cups worries me...the bigger the cups = the wider the SS IME...reason why Larry likes to make those grossly inflated woodies
biggrin.gif

I agree.. I did a experiment. I used two DT48e pads on each side.. The sound stage had depth, was more spacious, but it really effected the mid range, & didn't sound right IMO.. The earlier models from the 50's DT48S & 70's 8ohm had floppy pads, which where problematic, since they were 'deflated', due to old age I guess, your ears would press against the metal drivers.. In all honestly.. For your taste, I wouldn't go near a DT48.. Just get the CD3000 & be happy. I am more a Sony fan actually.. Was never overly impressed with the 770/880/990 for music.. Would love to have a CD3000.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #218 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6577077
Yeah, that sucks (that you have to wait...)

LOL. Ya, I guess that sounded rather selfish. It was really more my hope that the headphones get shipped over there faster so that he can give them a run of enjoyment.....and then pass along the info.
dt880smile.png

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #219 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more a Sony fan actually

so why do you hoard all those DT48's like they were solid gold them? hoard some cd3k's instead
biggrin.gif

what's the driver size on those 48's? maybe they'd shine in much bigger/angled cups...possibly a sa1k
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #220 of 239
Quote:

so why do you hoard all those DT48's like they were solid gold them? hoard some cd3k's instead
biggrin.gif

what's the driver size on those 48's? maybe they'd shine in much bigger/angled cups...possibly a sa1k
wink.gif

Because I adore them for what they do, & each sounds a bit different.. Hard to explain.. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, or the fact I'm impressed that a 1937 yr old design can be competitive with modern day headphones.. I'm very cautious about recommending them, cause they are really for a niche market.. It's a acquired taste like escargot. (snails) I would love to listen to the CD3000.. The prat seems incredible, & a friend online feels like they are mini R10's... He also has 4 DT48, so we can easily adapt to fun & engaging headphones like the CD3000. Maybe you can convert me.. I'm always looking for different ways to enjoy my music.

Driver size? I think 40mm.. But not sure.. ASP told me the drivers housing could be a bit bigger..

Jun 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #224 of 239
T1 offer more clarity :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #225 of 239
oqvist, you have all the headphones I want :p. Interesting that T1 has even more clarity than SA5000, I am torn between the two atm, looking for better mids and highs and soundstage complexity than pro 900, do SA5000 or T1 beat pro 900 for these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back