Sony MDR-R10 what is the fuss about
Aug 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 76
No and it's pissing me off.  I have nothing to drive the O2s with at the moment, but these were Mk.1s in mint condition so it made sense to pounce on them first.  I'm holding my breath that I can work something out with Jack Woo or Ray Samuels at next weekends Charlotte, NC Can Fest so I've been busy selling everything I could get rid of.  It's all my fault because I have made a mistake of auditioning Jack's WES/O2Mk2 combo back at Can Jam.  Let that be a lesson to you all...

Both my TWagged HD800s and now the R10 has made it necessary to upgrade my current amp I use for dynamic cans also.  I've been trying to barter for an Apache and then sell the Raptor to finance it but I've been running into delays on that front, too.

So many cans, so little time.  But once everything is settled down I'll write up a review.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #17 of 76
You make me laugh. Mint O2 MK1s and R10s and nothing to power them!

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #18 of 76
Well, I wouldn't call the Raptor nothing in case of the R10s, but it clearly is a bottleneck at this point.  I got the O2s last week.  An amp is easier to find than either of these particular cans.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 76
So, please someone tell us if you can, I don't think I've ever seen a clear shootout...I've only read someone saying that installing r10 drivers in a cd3k didn't work out, but many ppl wonder: what does it do more than the cd3k? even creamier mids and even more ample SS w/ even clearer locations?

I've modded a cd850 and a cd1k(same drivers as the cd3k) in the exact same way, on a good source the cd850 is very close...like I dunno, 75%? the SS is very impressive and kills most(if not all) the $300 currently phones in production no question asked(someone compared it to the RS1 in the cd1k thread), but it's still far clearer on the cd1k. Also the upper spectrum is more harsh and less refined. Basically the whole diagraphm is BC on the cd3k but only the center is on the cd850:

cd850:  cd3k:

how far's a cd3k off a r10? 75% too? hardly worth the +$6500 bill? I do realize that at some point money doesn't object anymore.

Also, the cups are full of white dampening cloth, I never tried that on the cd1k...maybe it's time. But my experience has been that the less stuff in the cups, the wider the SS..only need a bit of foam to increase the bass response/slam.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #20 of 76
Quite right on the Raptor, and I didn't know the O2 was a very recent purchase as well. Enjoy the ride.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #21 of 76
@Leeperry
the cup of R10 is old wooden
the cup of CD3000 is not wooden.

So if you want to improve the sound of CD3000 to reach the level of R10, shouldn't you consider at changing your cup material?
different material will have different sound resonance.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #22 of 76

Quote:
@Leeperry

So if you want to improve the sound of CD3000 to reach the level of R10, shouldn't you consider at changing your cup material?

Not only the material, which is a very soft, resonant absorbing Zelkova wood but the interior of the R10 cup is stepped.  I'm sure the shape comes into play as well.  I have the CD2000 as well.  Anyone know how different the 2k driver is from the 1k, 3k and R10?

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 76
Cause they are truly legendary.. Arguably the greatest dynamic headphone ever made.. They might be overpriced, but demand is very high..So expect 5-6 grand asking prices..

Quote:
The headphones are priced above the roof ,may be even above the earths atmosphere.

The reason could partly be because they are not available any longer.

What I'am asking for comparisons to some of the more common hi-fi headphones and what the fuss is about the Japanese piece of wooden art.

There are many like me who probably don't have anyone in our Country who own a pair, and will never have a chance in this lifetime to audition these highly acclaimed headphones.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #24 of 76

Well, the cups do change the sound of the R10...but more than likely the drivers are much faster and detailed than the cd3k. The true question is: by what percentage?

I read a guy saying that the R10 drivers didn't work at all in the cd3k, being "too powerful" IIRC...but each time I've read ppl comparing those 2 phones, they've always been elusive...much wider/deeper SS(gee, is that even possible?) and even creamier mids.

But the upsetting questions remain: do you get your money worth? are we talking about a 10/20/50/90% improvement? does the cd3k sound like a DT770/Pro80 in comparison?

I might be imagining things, but the MSRP of the R10 was $4000 and the cd3k $580 and I understand the R10 is "teh legend" and a prestigious item to boot, but R10 owners don't seem too willing to compare those 2 phones for some reason.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #26 of 76
@n3rdling

indeed it is 
dt880smile.png
One conclusion, if you TRULY love High Quality music, then MONEY is no subject. The Best Headphone = The large amount of money that you have to pay because they are very limited

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #27 of 76

With headphones like the R10/HE90 it's not about how much better they are compared to a good, cheaper headphone.. It's about having the 'best.' If that means a 10% improvement, it doesn't matter.. Some people will pay handsomely for the best regardless.. I know 99% don't understand how anyone could pay 25,000 for a ophous (spelling).. It just depends on ones priorities & bank account. If you make half a mil a yr is 25,000 really that much for someone who lives for the best in audio reproduction?
Quote:

Well, the cups do change the sound of the R10...but more than likely the drivers are much faster and detailed than the cd3k. The true question is: by what percentage?

I read a guy saying that the R10 drivers didn't work at all in the cd3k, being "too powerful" IIRC...but each time I've read ppl comparing those 2 phones, they've always been elusive...much wider/deeper SS(gee, is that even possible?) and even creamier mids.

But the upsetting questions remains: do you get your money worth? are we talking about a 10/20/50/90% improvement? does the cd3k sound like a DT770/Pro80 in comparison?

I might be imagining things, but the MSRP of the R10 was $4000 and the cd3k $580 and I understand the R10 is "teh legend" and a prestigious item to boot, but R10 owners don't seem too willing to compare those 2 phones for some reason.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 76

With headphones like the R10/HE90 it's not about how much better they are compared to a good, cheaper headphone.. It's about having the 'best.' If that means a 10% improvement, it doesn't matter..  

My questions stands, and I understand it can make R10 owners upset....the SS is unbelievably wide and deep on the cd3k, how can it get any wider huh?

even clearer mids yes OK, but a night and day? anyway, as you said there's no point in comparing those 2 phones.

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #30 of 76
I've owned a CD3000 and an R10 from new - for close to 12 years now.

There is no comparison to be made IMO. To my ears there is a night and day difference between the CD3000 and the R10.

Neither headphone is "neutral" but what the R10 has, is a "naturalness" that is missing from most other headphones.

With the R10, you listen and connect to the music much more so than with the CD3000. That is what makes the R10 so special.

--Jatinder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back