Sony MDR-R10 what is the fuss about
Aug 8, 2010 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

volume

Banned user who had re-registered.
The headphones are priced above the roof ,may be even above the earths atmosphere.

The reason could partly be because they are not available any longer.

What I'am asking for comparisons to some of the more common hi-fi headphones and what the fuss is about the Japanese piece of wooden art.

There are many like me who probably don't have anyone in our Country who own a pair, and will never have a chance in this lifetime to audition these highly acclaimed headphones.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 76
Search and read!
Plenty of threads regarding the MDR-R10 around here...

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 76
They have sound coming out of them. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 76
try to imagine a cd3k w/ even more detailed/creamier mids and an even more ample SS, and you're right there I guess
lenoun.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 76

Quote:
They were made with Improved Betterness, which is now in exceedingly short supply.

I have some of this improved betterness you speak of, and it is indeed quite nice.

PS: 
Where did you find mulveling's photo of my R10? I thought they were lost in the great crash of '07

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #9 of 76
@Nikongod is that a Qualia stand?  That photo is awesome.  If you know where to get a stand like that, please shoot me a PM.  My R10 will thank you...
L3000.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 76

If you know where to get a stand like that, please shoot me a PM.

Honestly, I don't think it's very wise to install the cd3k/r10 headband on a stand..it will wear faster and the "belt" system will loosen up.

most cd3k owners use this kind of stand AFAIK: http://www.wooaudio.com/images/featured-hps2.jpg

Peter Groof from Beyer(he's the pro headphones PM) told me that dummy heads and such should be avoided as they will loosen up the clamping force faster. I don't think this stand will do any good to your phone.

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 76

Quote:
They were made with Improved Betterness, which is now in exceedingly short supply.

I've been looking high and low for some of this Improved Betterness, but all I find are cheap imitations.  Some are pretty convincing, so much so that I can't believe it's not real Improved Betterness.  But it never lasts...I tire of the patina of imitation and yearn for the genuine article.  I want my real Improved Betterness! 

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 76

Quote:

Honestly, I don't think it's very wise to install the cd3k/r10 headband on a stand..it will wear faster and the "belt" system will loosen up.

most cd3k owners use this kind of stand AFAIK: http://www.wooaudio.com/images/featured-hps2.jpg

Peter Groof from Beyer(he's the pro headphones PM) told me that dummy heads and such should be avoided as they will loosen up the clamping force faster. I don't think this stand will do any good to your phone.

On that I will wholeheartedly agree with you for the R10.  Otherwise it's a really nice stand.  I have a black Woo HPS2 stand and a silver one on order, which I think it's the best overall deal around in terms of quality stands.  The only thing it doesn't protect from is dust.  So for my O2s I have ordered a Stax stand with the matching cover from Japan, but it hasn't arrived yet either, so both of these babies are still in their protective cases.  No glass heads for me, although a Whiskey bottle is an attractive alternative 
basshead.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #15 of 76
Warp have you had a chance to put a comparison of the R10 and 02 (and their associated amps) into words? I saw you mention something about an amp for the R10, so perhaps you aren't ready for that quite yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back