Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,111 of 1,173
Anyone know if those are the real r10 inner foam?I take this photo from Apuresound;if this is the real foam it feel a lot different from the es labs foam..it seem not at all porous,but much much softer

Attachments

• IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,112 of 1,173
Anyone know if those are the real r10 inner foam?I take this photo from Apuresound;if this is the real foam it feel a lot different from the es labs foam..it seem not at all porous,but much much softer
Most original foam has turned to mush or is turning. The ES Labs is the right breathability, open cell foam. Some people have experimented with other foams but they defeat that the R-10 is all about. ES Labs pursued this correctly.

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,113 of 1,173
There is a small and a large foam ring. The small ring is what shown on that photo. The large foam ring rests on the earcup and hidden under neath the painted aluminum black frame.

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,114 of 1,173
There is a small and a large foam ring. The small ring is what shown on that photo. The large foam ring rests on the earcup and hidden under neath the painted aluminum black frame.
Yes yes I mounted the es labs foam in my ex mdr r10 :) what I’m saying..in this photos I uploaded..is this the authentic mdr r10 small foam?

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,115 of 1,173
Yes yes I mounted the es labs foam in my ex mdr r10 :) what I’m saying..in this photos I uploaded..is this the authentic mdr r10 small foam?
There is no original foam left. I asked Benson about it some time back and they went through over 50 types of open cell to find the right one to use.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #1,116 of 1,173
Yes, it is authentic. The foam original color is white but overtime it will turn yellow and finally disintegrated.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,117 of 1,173
Yes, it is authentic. The foam original color is white but overtime it will turn yellow and finally disintegrated.
You were able to get the original foam? That was a lucky score.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,118 of 1,173
You were able to get the original foam? That was a lucky score.
I own the R10 since 2005 or so. Yes, I was able to get one set each of large and small foams. Was able to buy a spare set of driver too but later sold my spare to Alex of Apuresoumd. I really regret doing that. The R10 parts are sold out and discontinued back in 2009 or so. I suspect that a Chinese collector probably bought all the spare parts. The parts were available and suddenly all gone. My current R10 also use ES Lab foams. I also have a spare set of genuine ear pads.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,119 of 1,173
I own the R10 since 2005 or so. Yes, I was able to get one set each of large and small foams. Was able to buy a spare driver too but later sold my spare to Alex of Apuresoumd. I really regret doing that.
Seems I remember you mentioning about the driver. Yes, they would be like gold now. I was wondering, if needed, about using the driver that Benson uses but they are a little larger and would require back board like for the ES model. So, even though I would be interested in recabling, no thanks. I will leave that to you. lol I have done some very tricky work but with no real back-up of other drivers, not worth it. I would like to use Whiplash cable but again, not worth it and I hear what the R-10 sounded like when made. And mine, being from 1989, still beat the pants off anything I hear today. I did change the plug end so I can use any type of connector on the stock cable.

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #1,120 of 1,173
Seems I remember you mentioning about the driver. Yes, they would be like gold now. I was wondering, if needed, about using the driver that Benson uses but they are a little larger and would require back board like for the ES model. So, even though I would be interested in recabling, no thanks. I will leave that to you. lol I have done some very tricky work but with no real back-up of other drivers, not worth it. I would like to use Whiplash cable but again, not worth it and I hear what the R-10 sounded like when made. And mine, being from 1989, still beat the pants off anything I hear today. I did change the plug end so I can use any type of connector on the stock cable.
Yup, I want to do the same direct wiring mod cable upgrade but it is way too risky. Did it once on my other pair of R10 and will not do it again. It was nerve wrecking. Plus the solder pad could easily gave out on older headphones as well. Had solder pads gave out on my HD700 and E484 before and that was disastrous. Recently bought the Sony MDR-MV1 and did a direct wiring mod cable upgrade and bypassing the 3.5 TRS socket. The improvements are totally worth it and a steal at a giving price point. The MDR-V1 is so light, comfortable, and now sound very exceptional to boot.

Attachments

• IMG_4058.jpeg
    IMG_4058.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4057.jpeg
    IMG_4057.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,121 of 1,173
I own the R10 since 2005 or so. Yes, I was able to get one set each of large and small foams. Was able to buy a spare set of driver too but later sold my spare to Alex of Apuresoumd. I really regret doing that. The R10 parts are sold out and discontinued back in 2009 or so. I suspect that a Chinese collector probably bought all the spare parts. The parts were available and suddenly all gone. My current R10 also use ES Lab foams. I also have a spare set of genuine ear pads.
@purk I know you’ll really regret this, but would you ever consider selling the ear pads?

Dec 2, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #1,122 of 1,173

How does the original foams (in good condition) compare to the replacement ES Lab foams, sonically?

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,123 of 1,173
How does the original foams (in good condition) compare to the replacement ES Lab foams, sonically?
I was never able to compare them directly. The NOS foam was long gone. ES lab foam is next best thing and they make my R10 sounds really good.

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #1,124 of 1,173
I was never able to compare them directly. The NOS foam was long gone. ES lab foam is next best thing and they make my R10 sounds really good.

thank you 🙏

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,125 of 1,173
Yup, I want to do the same direct wiring mod cable upgrade but it is way too risky. Did it once on my other pair of R10 and will not do it again. It was nerve wrecking. Plus the solder pad could easily gave out on older headphones as well. Had solder pads gave out on my HD700 and E484 before and that was disastrous. Recently bought the Sony MDR-MV1 and did a direct wiring mod cable upgrade and bypassing the 3.5 TRS socket. The improvements are totally worth it and a steal at a giving price point. The MDR-V1 is so light, comfortable, and now sound very exceptional to boot.
Purk did a dual-entry mod on my Sony SA-3000 (with Black Dragon cable), and the improvement over stock was MASSIVE. Thanks again bro :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back