Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,096 of 1,173
I received a fool offer for the r10 bass light in amazing condition without box!

if it's real and in good condition, take it!!!

a case is nothing, you can always find a great on. R10 headpones though... very hard to find :)

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #1,097 of 1,173
Nov 24, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,098 of 1,173
I received a fool offer for the r10 bass light in amazing condition without box!
You don’t listen to the case or the box. If it’s working and very good condition to great condition and a good price, and you have the money, no reason to hold back.

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,099 of 1,173
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PDEZIPA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used some thin foam padding to lightly make it form fit the R10 and protect it further. I now also use these for meets/CanJams. Very compact and reliable. :)
ha! I use this case too but the version withou tthe foam, so I can fit more models easier - brought 2 of these to CanJam Dallas (the Tungsten for my friend, and an AC for myself) - I just stuff bubble wrap inside so the headphones stay put - but these are totally fantastic form factor for protection...:)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L77JNHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 25, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,100 of 1,173
Nov 25, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #1,101 of 1,173
Hey guys, I am looking for a r10 for some time already, of course they are hard to find, because they are so rare ...and if there is an offer, they are mostly scams. Its like looking for a unicorn.
So I am now thinking to give up and considering the closed zmf offerings with the biocell driver.
Anyone here who has both and could share a comparison between the r10 and one of the zmf closed ones? I am especially interested in the mids and vocal rendition.
I have experience with various biocell headphones and think that they especially excel at the natural rendition of the mids (guess r10 is the king here, but never heard one), do the ZMFs come close? I also think the biocells somehow don't always get the highs right, they aren't so smooth somehow, often sibilant. How are the r10 in the highs?

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,102 of 1,173
I had the time to confront my r10 with a verite closed.
The r10 outclass the verity closed by a big margin;have less sub bass the old king but it have much more clarity,soundstage in total different league and simply more natural.
Until now the best closed back by I tried by ZMF is the caldera IMHO;but this last one don’t have a bio cellulose driver and don’t have the souls like the r10 have.
For mids,well..I think the r10 doesn’t show a “summit fi resolution”,the r10 seriously reproduce the voice in the most real way possible.
And the r10 never show any harshness.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,103 of 1,173
I think that almost any R 10 that has not had the foam replaced, does not represent what they sound like.

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,104 of 1,173
Until now the best closed back by I tried by ZMF is the caldera IMHO

If I may offer a small correction, the Caldera are open backed (and planar magnetic).

Hey guys, I am looking for a r10 for some time already, of course they are hard to find, because they are so rare ...and if there is an offer, they are mostly scams. Its like looking for a unicorn.
So I am now thinking to give up and considering the closed zmf offerings with the biocell driver.
Anyone here who has both and could share a comparison between the r10 and one of the zmf closed ones? I am especially interested in the mids and vocal rendition.
I have experience with various biocell headphones and think that they especially excel at the natural rendition of the mids (guess r10 is the king here, but never heard one), do the ZMFs come close? I also think the biocells somehow don't always get the highs right, they aren't so smooth somehow, often sibilant. How are the r10 in the highs?

I had the VC and currently have the AC (and R10). What kind of music do you listen to, and what do you mostly value/enjoy in any headphone? I’ll try to offer some input in context

Nov 25, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #1,105 of 1,173
If I may offer a small correction, the Caldera are open backed (and planar magnetic).
Ooops I totally forgot was open back 😂
I had the VC and currently have the AC (and R10). What kind of music do you listen to, and what do you mostly value/enjoy in any headphone? I’ll try to offer some input in context

Nov 25, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #1,107 of 1,173
Thanks that would be very interesting indeed @goldwerger as I was wondering about the AC and how it compares to the r10, especially in the mids, vocals and treble. I am listening to all sorts of music but mainly with vocals (not classical or opera but rather pop, rock, alternative etc.)
Technical finesse is important but the most important thing is natural sound reproduction especially in the mids and vocals. I think Sony products have always excelled in mids (even when a bit recessed) they are very natural and realistic. I guess soundstage is also important as it helps with realism

Nov 25, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #1,108 of 1,173
The 1st time I ever heard the R10 was in China in Shanghai using the iBasso DX50. The sound was burned into my head. The spaciousness, detail and imaging. I got out the DX50 the other day, updated to the latest firmware from 2016, and it sounds the same. Amazing a dap, that cost a few hundred dollars, sounds this good and powers the R10 easily. The 3D of the combination is extremely good. The 2nd to last FW for the DX50 sucked. Poor sound but the last one, is the best they ever did for the DX50 and the combination is very enjoyable to listen with.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #1,109 of 1,173
I think that almost any R 10 that has not had the foam replaced, does not represent what they sound like.
You used the es labs foam?

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,110 of 1,173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back