Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Mar 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #557 of 1,173
  Amazing. They canceled my order back then. I guess I was too late. Thanks.

I actually ordered them with the fastest (most expensive) shipping option, and I've always wondered if that's why I got a pair as I'm sure there were plenty of orders before mine. Funnily enough, I'd had also ordered a pair from Hart Huschens too, thinking the Amazon thing was a mistake, and I ended up with two pairs. Stupid me I immediately sold one of them. :/

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #562 of 1,173
Maybe somebody here has an answer to my problem...

I repeat the Thread I opened here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/801855/balancing-sony-r-10
Who has done such a job before  - and what was the sonic improvement ?
I‘d like to maintain the original cable as far as possible. My idea is to simply replace the 6.3 mm jack with a 4-pin XLR plug – If the cable is still  4 wired at this point….
BUT: Is this possible  - or is the 2-wire per side”  connected to only 3 wires, ”L” + “R” + common ground  already in that little “junction-box"  ?   Which would mean, the mod has to be done at this junction box ?
Before I progress with “destroying” my beloved beauty, I appreciate your feedback . Anybody with experience with such matters ?

Thanks & regards

Urs
PS: I know there are specialized firms who replace the whole cable, but that’s just “too much” at the moment …
================

I just inspected the jack / plug, but after removing the protective rubber sleeve, I only found one more heat shrunk protection. Hence I still don’t know, whether the connection is 3 wires or 4.

Mar 17, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #563 of 1,173
The original cable can be wired for balanced connection.  My pair has been reterminated with a 4-pin XLR connection.  I can post picture later tonight.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #564 of 1,173
Anyone interested in trying to get Sony to bring the R10 back?  I'm sure it's probably been tried before, but I posted the suggestion to their idea submission forum -- maybe if we can drum up enough support, we can get their attention!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802328/resurrecting-the-sony-mdr-r10

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, with the price of the current flagship headphones, the R10's original retail price doesn't seem that outlandish anymore, even when accounting for inflation.  I suspect Sony might actually be more successful selling these headphones now than they were back in the 90s.

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #565 of 1,173
  Anyone interested in trying to get Sony to bring the R10 back?  I'm sure it's probably been tried before, but I posted the suggestion to their idea submission forum -- maybe if we can drum up enough support, we can get their attention!

You'd have a better chance of resurrecting hitler and getting him elected as US president in 2016.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #568 of 1,173
  Re-produce R10 with similar price tag would simply destroy the legend of R10.

Does that really matter? We're talking about a headphone here, not a fiat currency. It's supposed to be a sound reproduction device, not an investment vehicle. The purpose here is to bring a much-loved product back to the market so more people can have the opportunity to enjoy them. Current R10 owners would also benefit by having replacement parts readily available once again.

In any case, looks like you have nothing to worry about as it seems no one cares.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #569 of 1,173

Does that really matter? We're talking about a headphone here, not a fiat currency. It's supposed to be a sound reproduction device, not an investment vehicle. The purpose here is to bring a much-loved product back to the market so more people can have the opportunity to enjoy them. Current R10 owners would also benefit by having replacement parts readily available once again.

In any case, looks like you have nothing to worry about as it seems no one cares.

Legend became legend for their reasons not just for their sound quality. We are in a world which manufacturers and retailer tells you "pursue for ultimate high fidelity". In fact the distortion itself give the uniqueness for a headphone is the treasure what we are buying, especially for some hi-end cans, such as orpheus, omega,009 ,R10,Which is nothing wrong.
From Sony MDR-R10's user manual:

"The MDR-R10 - A musical instrument for reaching the soul of the music. With the care and affection of the skilled lute makers of bygone days, we shave the wood, polish it, and breathe life - sound - into our MDR-R10 stereo headphones. Beyond mere headphones, the R10 has been elected to be a musical instrument that reproduces the soul of music."

Headphones, the same as other work of art. The nature or mandatory limitation also plays an important part of the value itself.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #570 of 1,173

Legend became legend for their reasons not just for their sound quality. We are in a world which manufacturers and retailer tells you "pursue for ultimate high fidelity". In fact the distortion itself give the uniqueness for a headphone is the treasure what we are buying, especially for some hi-end cans, such as orpheus, omega,009 ,R10,Which is nothing wrong.

Headphones, the same as other work of art. The nature or mandatory limitation also plays an important part of the value itself.

Guess I'm too practical to understand this, but different strokes, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back