Sony MDR-R10 Owner's Club
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #571 of 1,173
"The MDR-R10 - A musical instrument for reaching the soul of the music. With the care and affection of the skilled lute makers of bygone days, we shave the wood, polish it, and breathe life - sound - into our MDR-R10 stereo headphones. Beyond mere headphones, the R10 has been elected to be a musical instrument that reproduces the soul of music."

Reading it I remembered this,  check at around 34mins

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #572 of 1,173

Guess I'm too practical to understand this, but different strokes, etc.

Point is headphones especially hi-end headphones are masterpiece of delicate art. The same as any other form of art creations,the purpose of these headphones are not just for re-prudocing high fidelity but also for re-creating something beyond high fidelity. The same as most of fine arts, they are not designed for production in  a large amount. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #573 of 1,173

Point is headphones especially hi-end headphones are masterpiece of delicate art. The same as any other form of art creations,the purpose of these headphones are not just for re-prudocing high fidelity but also for re-creating something beyond high fidelity. The same as most of fine arts, they are not designed for production in  a large amount. 

That's very true but I'm not a 100% sure that this actually apply to current crops of flagship beside the SR009.  The HD800/S have a very nice build quality but it looks pedestrian next to something like the L3000 & R10.  The HE-1000 looks very first class in pictures but the build quality such as fake wood trim and uneven stainless steel finishes are a disappointment in person.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #574 of 1,173
  That's very true but I'm not a 100% sure that this actually apply to current crops of flagship beside the SR009.  The HD800/S have a very nice build quality but it looks pedestrian next to something like the L3000 & R10.  The HE-1000 looks very first class in pictures but the build quality such as fake wood trim and uneven stainless steel finishes are a disappointment in person.

I guess that nowadays' high end cans, and to some extent nowaday's HiFi Market in general, are not actually supposed to be that way.

The R10 seems to have been made by people who thought that their company's reputation rested on it. That's why it is so exquisitely made.

Then again, the word on the street is that they never made money on them. Just like, I'm sure, AT never made much if any profit at all on the L3000.

Something has to be said about Japan's mastery when it comes to manufacturing small luxurious goods like these two. The sheer degree of minutiae that they can deliver in order to make a simple box opening an event is astounding.

Some will call that ********, and in doing so will certainly more pragmatic than I am, but it's an important part in helping to justify spending that much on a pair of cans.

I'm pretty sure that if the R10 had been built like a CD3K it would have been long forgotten by now.

It's interesting, I've always found the SR007 way prettier and better made than the SR009.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #575 of 1,173

I guess that nowadays' high end cans, and to some extent nowaday's HiFi Market in general, are not actually supposed to be that way.

The R10 seems to have been made by people who thought that their company's reputation rested on it. That's why it is so exquisitely made.

Then again, the word on the street is that they never made money on them. Just like, I'm sure, AT never made much if any profit at all on the L3000.

Something has to be said about Japan's mastery when it comes to manufacturing small luxurious goods like these two. The sheer degree of minutiae that they can deliver in order to make a simple box opening an event is astounding.

Some will call that ********, and in doing so will certainly more pragmatic than I am, but it's an important part in helping to justify spending that much on a pair of cans.

I'm pretty sure that if the R10 had been built like a CD3K it would have been long forgotten by now.

It's interesting, I've always found the SR007 way prettier and better made than the SR009.

The CD3000 is very popular actually and a must hear once the cable has been upgraded and driven balanced.  The SR009 isn't as pretty as the SR007 but the cups are much better made.  I agree with you that the headband is quite ugly though still very well made.  Another good example is the MDR-Z7 which is very beautiful and well made IMO.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #576 of 1,173
   Another good example is the MDR-Z7 which is very beautiful and well made IMO.

Is it ? I've been quite curious about it lately.

I agree about the 009's cups. They look very good. 

But there's just something very sexy indeed about the 007. Stax would have had a very hard time trying to improve on its good looks.

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #577 of 1,173
  Is it ? I've been quite curious about it lately.

I agree about the 009's cups. They look very good. 

But there's just something very sexy indeed about the 007. Stax would have had a very hard time trying to improve on its good looks.

The Z7 needs a lot of work to sound good however.  In stock form without any upgraded cable, I just can't stand listening to them.  Way too much bass for my taste.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #578 of 1,173
Hey guys,

I'm actually in search for an R10 so I thought this would be another good place to ask, if anyone is interested in selling their pair, I'll be happy to buy one from you. 
Also, I talked to an R10 owner and he told me to be very careful of pairs that have been tampered with, I understand that but...is there any way to confirm that happening without taking apart the assembly? Or perhaps there's someone with an archived list of tampered (not re-cabled) R10s with the corresponding serial number, LOL!

Thanks. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #579 of 1,173
„MDR R10 re-loaded" ? Why not ?

I don’t know whether there is a market for a real top-flight CLOSED headphone in this price range . STAX seem to sell their open top models, so do others.

What I really would like is a reliable service facility  , e.g. replacement  & spare parts that are identical or better than the original, such as membranes and the likes …- and the competence of doing the job.

My biggest worry with my R10 is that something goes wrong and I can’t have it repaired  properly at all  - or only at exorbitant cost
frown.gif

Urs

Apr 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #584 of 1,173
  $10K for a bass light (#153)? That's way too high. Somebody is getting taken with that bid. $4 to 5 K is more like it.

Actually, they usually go between 6.5 to 7.5k now.  I have seen some selling for even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back