Sony MDR-MV1
Apr 18, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #107 of 461
He didn't say that! He just acknowledged that sensitivity or efficiency is not related to the sound quality.
Yes, I was just joking, relax)))
But Sony could have done more for $400, but she just didn't want to. She looks at Sennheiser and wants the same - Sennheiser does nothing at all and gets money on the empty place - well done, bravo, standing ovation))))))))))

Apr 18, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #108 of 461
But Sony could have done more for $400, but she just didn't want to. She looks at Sennheiser and wants the same - Sennheiser does nothing at all and gets money on the empty place - well done, bravo, standing ovation))))))))))

Dude, you're like human tinnitus.

Apr 18, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #109 of 461
Maybe the NDH 30 is really that good who knows lol.
It’s a ‘larger screen’ HD600. Neutral. Great for studio work. But it’s not the be all and end all that is being portrayed by a certain someone. I think a lot of you would be bored with it after a day or two.

Apr 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #110 of 461
Come on indi, have mercy on us! I thought that you had chilled out.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #113 of 461
It’s a ‘larger screen’ HD600. Neutral. Great for studio work. But it’s not the be all and end all that is being portrayed by a certain someone. I think a lot of you would be bored with it after a day or two.
My own personal take is that the 600 is boring, while the NDH30 retains a high degree of musicality. They're both in the realm of "accurate, studio-worthy" headphones, but IMHO the Neumann is leagues better than the 600 in terms of musicality and enjoyment.

Apr 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #114 of 461
The difference between 600, 660S, S2 and 30 is the same as between a pig and a horse)))))
It's just that not everyone can hear or see)))) This is how this cruel and unfair world works. For this reason, there are so many naive and ridiculous comparisons ...)))

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #115 of 461
Answered in the NDH 30 thread.

Apr 18, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #116 of 461
My own personal take is that the 600 is boring, while the NDH30 retains a high degree of musicality. They're both in the realm of "accurate, studio-worthy" headphones, but IMHO the Neumann is leagues better than the 600 in terms of musicality and enjoyment.
Gear is never boring.

Music can be, though. And people's state of mind.

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #117 of 461
Tried out the MDR-MV1 at NAMM Show this weekend. I absolutely adore the MA900 and I kept my expectations in line for the MV1 since the MV1 was introduced at a pro-audio show vs the MA900 being more of an audiophile targeted headphone.

At the Sony booth it was right next to 7506 and putting them on back to back to compare the two? Yup the MV1 is aiming to target the 7506 more than the MA900. The MV1 came across as bright/lean and a bit thin. Techs wise it was an improvement over the 7506 but it was not a terribly big difference to my ear. And at the price difference between the two headphones, I would have expect more from the MV1. Bass was tight and well controlled at least, no bass bleed into the mids.

Soundstage was alright which I thought was a tad off considering the big emphasis Sony had with their 360 Reality Audio from last year and even more so this year.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me on the MV1 was the all plastic build. Felt rather flimsy like those who own the MA900 understand. At least it kept the weight down was comfy but for the pro-audio crowd that can be rough with their gear, it makes me a little nervous. For similar "audiophile" headphones in the price range its a bit more disappointing given how much smaller companies are making much more premium feeling headphones.

The NW-WM1AM2 they had as a source was a decent choice since they plugged it in with the 4.4mm on both the DAPs there. On the second day I tried it out, one DAP was purposely demoing the 360 Reality Audio tracks and testing out their Aimer track they had vs my iBasso DX320 I brought with the same track but not with the 360 Reality Audio it was clearly the goal, show off 360. The 360 version was more spacious and clearer for vocals and instruments. Sony has this tech in the new Sony gaming headsets, multiple manufacturers have adopted judging from the Sony site and Sony seems quite all in on developing it.

Last year at NAMM, the booth was a little underwhelming as it was just a few computers and the 7506 showing off the 360 Reality Audio software, not much in the way of mics or cameras last year. But Sony had another ace up its sleeve to show off 360.

In the back of the hall they had a demo in a closed off room I had to make an appointment for. In the demo it was a 5.1 setup where the Sony rep put in ear mics in each of my ears. The demo played one sound on each speaker individually, then a test tone, asked me to put on the headphones, another test tone. This got everything calibrated and then the same 5.1 setup started playing and at first it sounded like the speakers were going, the rep then asked me to remove the headphones and it was clear the headphones were the only things playing and it mimicked the speakers 5.1 pretty much exact. It reminded me of the Smyth A16 Realiser demo my friends had tried and explained to me in the past, though sadly I hadn’t had a chance to hear and compare. Least with that demo it was kind of clear Sony is betting big on 360 Reality Audio though it is probably less important about the actual headphone and more with the tech.

Speaking with the reps at Sony about the MV1, the big intent seemed to be making a headphone that would work great with the 360 Reality Audio. In that respect I think it is a success. In pure sound quality for applications outside of that for an "audiophile" market I feel that the MV1 doesn't deliver in this regard. After 15-20 minutes both days with the WM1AM2 or the DX320 I was getting some treble fatigue.
It's not an all plastic build.

Apr 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #118 of 461
The answer is aluminum alloy for the housing (cups, I suppose):
actually from sony's japanese website, the 'developer interview' mentioned it being aluminum alloy:
https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/230411/?s_pid=jp_/headphone/_products/_MDR-MV1

There's a part under Point 3 about the lightness of the headphones.

Google translated:

The first thing that strikes you when you pick up this product is that it's "light!" You have succeeded in making it lighter than you could imagine from its high functionality and appearance. What kind of difficulties did you face?​

Ozaki: We used a lightweight, high-strength aluminum alloy for the housing, and then reduced the thickness of each part by a few percent. We proceeded while measuring each part. However, even though we are talking about weight reduction, it would be putting the cart before the horse if we only wanted lightness and made it difficult to use. The ear pads of the MDR-MV1 are thick enough to make them comfortable to wear. It was difficult to determine where we could shave while maintaining performance that we could not compromise on, even if the weight increased a little.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #119 of 461
I have high hopes, regardless. I think I know the intended use of the MV1. After the bloated 1A and 1AM2, space and clarity may be the focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back