Sony MDR-MV1
Jul 9, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #211 of 474
Sony mv1 inital thoughts and quick comparisons to the z1r and qualia 010

I received my pair back on 05/16/23. Forgot to post this because I was having alot of fun with them. This was written as my inital impressions at the time:

Was looking for an upgrade from my audio tehcnica m40x that I've been using since probably 2017. Read reviews and saw videos mentioning about how light the mv1 are and that they have a good amount of bass. Now while I have the z1r and qualia 010, I simply baby those headphones and wanted a headphone I don't really have to be as careful with. Also I sold my hd600 in the past year and wanted something to replace that as well. Lastly since it's easy to drive, I can plug it into whatever will connect to it without having to use an amp. For inital impressions I used the sony ta-zh1es since it's easy to switch outputs between each headphone.

I agree with @StiggyPlue comments calling the mv1 a baby z1r, it's a spot on description of the mv1. Its pretty close to the z1r's take on sound, but the z1r is better in everyway to my ears as expected of the price difference. The mv1 is very light coming in at 223g which feels great on my head, but the qualia 010 comes in at I believe 200g so it's even lighter. Both the mv1 and qualia 010 weigh like nothing, but the z1r does a great job of feeling light as well coming in at 385g. Never had a weight issue with a sony headphone so far.

Sound wise the z1r and mv1 are like Sr and Jr to one another and the qualia 010 is different from both of them. The qualia 010 is the most detailed, spacious, fastest dynamic I've ever heard (I've never heard the utopias, but I previously owned focal stellias). Personally, I think the qualia 010 is relevant to the mv1 in that even though the mv1 is being advertised to studio monitoring the qualia 010 is actually dead flat sounding to my ears whereas the mv1 does things like the z1r with bigger fuller bass.

Since I don't do studio monitoring work and just listen for fun I was thinking about why sony made a fully flat sounding headphone like the qualia 010 and sold it as a luxury item and yet now they sell the mv1 as a studio monitor but it is not as flat sounding as the qualia 010. I don't speak for sony but it seems from the interviews that engineer's that work in the studio now a days wanted a headphone with more bass and so sony is simply meeting demand for a new customer base that can do studio stuff at home.

What I've noticed is that it's so easy to assume that people working in a studio would want a flat sounding headphone, but really these engineers are just like any customer, you just need to ask what they are trying to find in their music. I am very surprised by how an open back like the mv1 can sound so similar to the z1r. The qualia 010 is what inspired the hd800 so the qualias sound is not like the z1r or mv1. The qualia 010 sounds the most even and atmospheric. The z1r being a closed back has the biggest fun sounding bass, the mv1 is not far off in bass quantity though. The qulaia 010 is the thinnest sounding of the 3 and it has the tightest bass. The bass for both the mv1 and z1r have subbass emphasis which is full sounding and thicker than other headphones. So it's pleasing and easier to take its punch than other headphones that have a stronger more aggressive punch.

Nothing stands out in the mids for the mv1 and things generally sound as they should. You simply hear a less resolving take vs the z1r and qualia 010. At least the bass is not overpowering the mids.

For the treble I agree with StiggyPlue again in that the treble is less bright than the z1r. The mv1 to me sounds a bit more closed sounding in the air frequencies vs the z1r and qualia 010.

The qualia 010 is as fast as my stax headphones. On a number of tracks I get fooled into thinking the music is being played at a faster pace than how I usually hear it, but when I check the speed setting, the speed is normal or 1x, the qualia 010 is just really fast. The z1r and mv1 have a more believable speed and sound about the same in speed between each other. Imaging is also solid on the mv1 for the price. I can pick out parts of the music easily as expected.

Resolution is higher obviously on the z1r and the highest resolution would go to the qualia 010. The mv1 resolution is still pretty solid for the price, personally I have no complaints. For an open back though the mv1 somehow sounds more intimate than the z1r. I guess since it's a studio monitor, keeping music pretty close to the ear is more useful to better pick out information vs if the sound where as distant as the qualia 010.

The z1r imo has the best build quality of the 3 as the qualia 010 feels very fragile in the hands. I do like that the mv1 has a similar headband to the z1r. The mv1 headband is similar with a cushion that rests on my head, but the z1r headband overall feels a bit more premium. The mv1 does flop around more when picking it up vs the other 2. The mv1 is very comfy, again no complaints and the clamp feels good, it doesn't move when I look around so I don't need to worry about it sliding off.

The cables between the mv1 and z1r are generally of the same quality except for the ends leading to the connectors. The mv1 feels more premium than the z1r which is weird to me. The mv1 cable is also longer, but the end of the mv1 cable has this knurling texture that feels more premium than the z1r stock that is just simple plastic.

So far the only thing I don't like is that the mv1 inside the box came in a white thin bag. I would've liked a bigger bag to store them in that is similar to what came with my audio technica m40x . For first impressions I do think that making a more affordable open headphone like the mv1 is a pretty neat way to get the z1r sound out to more customers. So far I'm happy, I got what I came here for. I might look into a bigger storage container for it.

Since those initial impressions I wanted to add that the mv1 works great with video games, adding a bit of fun with its boosted bass. I might try the mv1 and z1r again to see if there are any other impressions I wanted to add. I also just ordered a 4.4 balanced cable that is used for the sony mdr-1a headphone so I can start using pentacon more often.
awesome, very odd that a 4.4mm isn't included in the packaging.

also odd that the z1r has larger staging, until you see the size comparison when they're near one another, jesus christ.

I feel there's a good chance the 4.4mm will put the mv1 closer to the z1r, but we'll see, would love to read updates on this :) the mv1 has some big pros going for it, price, comfort, open back.. all very tempting.

Jul 10, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #213 of 474
Has anyone experienced the 'Sony 360 Reality Audio' Service? I want to know the price of the service. And I hope HD800 possible. is it possible?
Just visit tidal (paid) or amazon music (paid?). And you can do the 360 audio with any headphones. Different headphones will sound different based on their sound stage. Right now listening to my hero from foo fighters in 360 on amazon and its very different sounding than typical left/right music. On z7m2 modded with beyerdynamic pads and new braided cable. I personally prefer typical left/right audio music. Sounds better to me. But i like 360 audio for games.... Lol

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #214 of 474
Sony mv1 inital thoughts and quick comparisons to the z1r and qualia 010

I received my pair back on 05/16/23. Forgot to post this because I was having alot of fun with them. This was written as my inital impressions at the time:

Was looking for an upgrade from my audio tehcnica m40x that I've been using since probably 2017. Read reviews and saw videos mentioning about how light the mv1 are and that they have a good amount of bass. Now while I have the z1r and qualia 010, I simply baby those headphones and wanted a headphone I don't really have to be as careful with. Also I sold my hd600 in the past year and wanted something to replace that as well. Lastly since it's easy to drive, I can plug it into whatever will connect to it without having to use an amp. For inital impressions I used the sony ta-zh1es since it's easy to switch outputs between each headphone.

I agree with @StiggyPlue comments calling the mv1 a baby z1r, it's a spot on description of the mv1. Its pretty close to the z1r's take on sound, but the z1r is better in everyway to my ears as expected of the price difference. The mv1 is very light coming in at 223g which feels great on my head, but the qualia 010 comes in at I believe 200g so it's even lighter. Both the mv1 and qualia 010 weigh like nothing, but the z1r does a great job of feeling light as well coming in at 385g. Never had a weight issue with a sony headphone so far.

Sound wise the z1r and mv1 are like Sr and Jr to one another and the qualia 010 is different from both of them. The qualia 010 is the most detailed, spacious, fastest dynamic I've ever heard (I've never heard the utopias, but I previously owned focal stellias). Personally, I think the qualia 010 is relevant to the mv1 in that even though the mv1 is being advertised to studio monitoring the qualia 010 is actually dead flat sounding to my ears whereas the mv1 does things like the z1r with bigger fuller bass.

Since I don't do studio monitoring work and just listen for fun I was thinking about why sony made a fully flat sounding headphone like the qualia 010 and sold it as a luxury item and yet now they sell the mv1 as a studio monitor but it is not as flat sounding as the qualia 010. I don't speak for sony but it seems from the interviews that engineer's that work in the studio now a days wanted a headphone with more bass and so sony is simply meeting demand for a new customer base that can do studio stuff at home.

What I've noticed is that it's so easy to assume that people working in a studio would want a flat sounding headphone, but really these engineers are just like any customer, you just need to ask what they are trying to find in their music. I am very surprised by how an open back like the mv1 can sound so similar to the z1r. The qualia 010 is what inspired the hd800 so the qualias sound is not like the z1r or mv1. The qualia 010 sounds the most even and atmospheric. The z1r being a closed back has the biggest fun sounding bass, the mv1 is not far off in bass quantity though. The qulaia 010 is the thinnest sounding of the 3 and it has the tightest bass. The bass for both the mv1 and z1r have subbass emphasis which is full sounding and thicker than other headphones. So it's pleasing and easier to take its punch than other headphones that have a stronger more aggressive punch.

Nothing stands out in the mids for the mv1 and things generally sound as they should. You simply hear a less resolving take vs the z1r and qualia 010. At least the bass is not overpowering the mids.

For the treble I agree with StiggyPlue again in that the treble is less bright than the z1r. The mv1 to me sounds a bit more closed sounding in the air frequencies vs the z1r and qualia 010.

The qualia 010 is as fast as my stax headphones. On a number of tracks I get fooled into thinking the music is being played at a faster pace than how I usually hear it, but when I check the speed setting, the speed is normal or 1x, the qualia 010 is just really fast. The z1r and mv1 have a more believable speed and sound about the same in speed between each other. Imaging is also solid on the mv1 for the price. I can pick out parts of the music easily as expected.

Resolution is higher obviously on the z1r and the highest resolution would go to the qualia 010. The mv1 resolution is still pretty solid for the price, personally I have no complaints. For an open back though the mv1 somehow sounds more intimate than the z1r. I guess since it's a studio monitor, keeping music pretty close to the ear is more useful to better pick out information vs if the sound where as distant as the qualia 010.

The z1r imo has the best build quality of the 3 as the qualia 010 feels very fragile in the hands. I do like that the mv1 has a similar headband to the z1r. The mv1 headband is similar with a cushion that rests on my head, but the z1r headband overall feels a bit more premium. The mv1 does flop around more when picking it up vs the other 2. The mv1 is very comfy, again no complaints and the clamp feels good, it doesn't move when I look around so I don't need to worry about it sliding off.

The cables between the mv1 and z1r are generally of the same quality except for the ends leading to the connectors. The mv1 feels more premium than the z1r which is weird to me. The mv1 cable is also longer, but the end of the mv1 cable has this knurling texture that feels more premium than the z1r stock that is just simple plastic.

So far the only thing I don't like is that the mv1 inside the box came in a white thin bag. I would've liked a bigger bag to store them in that is similar to what came with my audio technica m40x . For first impressions I do think that making a more affordable open headphone like the mv1 is a pretty neat way to get the z1r sound out to more customers. So far I'm happy, I got what I came here for. I might look into a bigger storage container for it.

Since those initial impressions I wanted to add that the mv1 works great with video games, adding a bit of fun with its boosted bass. I might try the mv1 and z1r again to see if there are any other impressions I wanted to add. I also just ordered a 4.4 balanced cable that is used for the sony mdr-1a headphone so I can start using pentacon more often.
Looking forward to that 4.4mm balanced cable difference. Till today, I have no luck to try out the MV1 as I have returned the unit. I may get my hands on it again soon, so I will head out to have a try and maybe a 3rd party earpads as a combo.

Jul 12, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #215 of 474
I am ordering MDR-MV1 and plan on using it with DMP-Z1. Hope it's a good pairing. :)
Standard cable out of the box is good enough, easy to drive. You'll love it! No listening fatigue and it's a great lightweight complement to the heavy duty expensive brick. But I am really interested to try on the 4.4mm balanced option soon.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #216 of 474
awesome, very odd that a 4.4mm isn't included in the packaging.

also odd that the z1r has larger staging, until you see the size comparison when they're near one another, jesus christ.

I feel there's a good chance the 4.4mm will put the mv1 closer to the z1r, but we'll see, would love to read updates on this :) the mv1 has some big pros going for it, price, comfort, open back.. all very tempting.

I don't think a 4.4mm balanced will bring the MV1 significantly closer to the Z1R. We need to remind ourselves that the Z1R is a closed-back headphones with details as good as some open-back.

But depending on what you're looking for, if you can afford the Z1R then go for it. If not, don't bother and just get the MV1 and you'll be happy with it as well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #217 of 474
I don't think a 4.4mm balanced will bring the MV1 significantly closer to the Z1R. We need to remind ourselves that the Z1R is a closed-back headphones with details as good as some open-back.

But depending on what you're looking for, if you can afford the Z1R then go for it. If not, don't bother and just get the MV1 and you'll be happy with it as well.
thanks, good chances i've got my hands on a z1r. it's the staging that surprises me, probably would've gotten a mv1 if it had bigger staging than the z1r (which is to be expected from an open back) but I guess the z1r is in a league of it's own

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #218 of 474
Rolled a few pads leather , pu leather , hybrid and the DT velour ovals and all killed the sound imo, the beyers were the best but not as comfortable as stock, the only ones I’d probably get to try is the shure alacantra or ones in that area of material. I think Sony have nailed it with the stock pads which is good but the downside of that is the cost of replacements.

Jul 14, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #219 of 474
can’t wait to get this, I previously had a z7 which I adored but had to sell it for college, hopefully these have the same magic

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #220 of 474
Thinking about buying these. Recently upset with my HD660s2 purchase. Talk about garbage. And I know, people will hate me for saying it. "how dare you talk bad about Sennheiser" but lets be honest, the only good thing about the HD660s2's are the open back sound stage.

I have the z7m2's, changed out to velour pads (beyerdynamic ones, took time to make them fit lmao) with a new braided cable since my old one broke. Comparing those both before/after mods vs the HD660s2's? while the closed back z7m2's lack soundstage, they have better bass before and after mods, and better treble after mods (z1r sharp in my opinion). In comparison the HD660s2's just, suck. NOT TO MENTION the sennheisers can't handle power, at all. Using a FiiO K9 PRO ESS, and second gain level, I can go full volume on the Sony's but the Sennheiser's literally mechanically distort at 65% volume on the dial... they can't get anywhere near as loud. TO ME, a good pair of headphones can be loud, sound good, and not too fatiguing. Don't get me started on the Sennheiser ear clamp, holy hell it hurts. Its like squishing my head, maybe because i have a big head? still. Gamers are already crying about the top band head dimple and that can happen with even the lightest pressure, with ear clamp, i could imagine having two circular dimples around each ear....

I really wanna try these, especially for gaming. Considering wide sound stage is great for pinpointing enemies in fps shooters.

I share some of your feelings. I have HD660S. I don't like it. It's clean and resolution is OK, but sounds muffled or what people call it vailed. It also rolls off at both ends. As a result, the bass becomes blocking when there is a lot of it because the high end doesn't have enough energy to penetrate. Compared with 1AM2, HD660S sounds more close-backed.

Jul 20, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #222 of 474
Interesting, the construction reminds of of the old MDR-MA line a lot. Wish these sound better.
The MA900 have quite a lot of metal parts actually, I wonder how it compares

I got an unused 1Am2 cables so I might be picking this up, I did let go of my MA900 and Z7 a couple months ago, both not being as usable when portable as I would have liked, I wonder whether the MV1 will suit the usage, as lately I find using my IEMs tire me out quite fast... I just want to find a comfortable, bed use cans...
Really I don't know why I'm doing this when I got an Hd650 coming but I guess it's just the Sony allure... 🤣

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #223 of 474
Found a lightly used one for 300 usd, I guess AD1000x v HD650 v MV1 v Z1R v 1AM2 is on...

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #224 of 474
Found a lightly used one for 300 usd, I guess AD1000x v HD650 v MV1 v Z1R v 1AM2 is on...
How's the ad1kx compared to z1r? i got a pair of ad1kx lately and z1r is on it's way.

will be interested in hearing another opinion of mv1 vs z1r, it's still odd to me how an open back can be a baby version of a closed back headphone

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #225 of 474
The AD1000x is dark in comparison to the Z1R and still basically the female vocal king for me that's the reason why it still stays. As long it's niche is unbeaten, I still pull it out every now and then, even tho in most technicalities it's squarely in entry-mid fi class these days.
The two just so different tuning wise that comparing them won't yield many overlap in usage, they do quite well if you have both tho.

The Z1R is quite big sounding for a closed back, it manages to do that by leveraging its huge baffle size and materials that made it. Tho yeah I do also agree how it'd be a curious case for the MV1 if it's close to how Z7 sounds, My ideal is that Sony just decided to make a monitoring headphone that finally corresponds closest to their 10 years old house sound and I'm all for it as I sure would like a small, comfortable, single cabled Z1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back