Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
Apr 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #46 of 772
As do I, but my thoughts on the LCD2 went much further than just preference :p
http://www.head-fi.org/t/573277/confessions-of-a-failing-audiophile-i-hated-the-lcd2

If I had the money, I would stick with the HD800 and never look back.  I have yet to hear what it is truly capable of, I simply was unsuccessful in pairing it with the right amp and source.  My experience with it was limited, I never owned it, I've heard it a few times with subpar amplification and a poor source and still enjoyed the hell out of it. If not the HD800, then the He500 would be my next choice as a keeper.  I'm done with hifi, most companies refuse to take my advice and insist on making them super inefficient and gigantic, therefore they will not receive my business.  If I were to win the lottery, the Hd800 and one of Schiits new amps would be first on my list.  

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #47 of 772
Thanks for sharing, swbf2cheater. It's an interesting read.

I hope Sony MDR-MA900 will satisfy you. Let us know your initial impressions!

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #48 of 772
That's right. The HD800 are my favorite headphones, too.

But nevertheless I'm also very curious about how the new MA900s will sound.

I hope that they sound like they look: very airy!

Also they should offer good amounts of details, a great sound stage, good separation, solid but not all-overwhelming bass and !PLEASE SONY! no strange coloration.

Can't really wait any longer to hear them... even if they're maybe disappointing in the end.

Hopefully I can compare the new MA900s to my few other cans (HD800, HD650, HD600, D2000, K701, DT880/2003, L1, T50p, MS1i, etc.) next month when they should be released here in Germany.

Maybe the MA900s are a real bargain and overall as good as the new SRH1840 and HD700. Who knows?!

They also should be able to be easily driven by a sound card, according to their technical specs.

I really hope so, because I'd simply like to use them with my PC.

In the end they maybe even beat the HD800 and then there is no more need for all the other cans to be around... so I can finally sell them all...
wink.gif

But let's wait some weeks, then we'll see.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If I had the money, I would stick with the HD800 and never look back.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #50 of 772

Quote:
Thank you Sony for potentially listening to my advice on headbands! Love that design.  The lack of a giant stupid headband makes me very happy.  Already placed my preorder, I'll be getting them asap.

Please post initial thoughts/impressions and also a review soon after :D very interested 

Apr 10, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #51 of 772
Just seen the first UK prices for the MA900

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007I1QXX2?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=iduk-21

£280......Seriously What? America gets it for $300 which equates to £180! I hope this is either a very late April fools joke or just a preliminary price.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #52 of 772
Better than HD800? There are surface mount resistor to counteract impedance in those as discussed earlier! Terrible idea if you have quality source but great if you intend to use it with 20$ DACs.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #53 of 772
A preview was posted last night, I placed my pre order through sony a few days ago, they went out of stock last night and i later found out my pre order didnt go through or was ignored, thankfully i was not charged.  Just a missed opportunity to get them sooner than most.

Today we received a press release from Sony, where they announced four new headphones in a new series of headphones with open construction made for relaxing listening to the "maximum comfort".These headphones were first model MDR-MA900 highlighted as the flagship, and there I sat with my Denon AH-D5000 headphones, I noticed that I immediately got a little interested. Sony boasted of new 70mm drivers and an Acoustic Bass Lens, which will ensure that despite the open design is the added depth that I have missed one of the åpene options on the market. With a suggested retail price of £ 2600 this is an interesting model. This we must try!

Just a few hours later I had borrowed a copy straight from Sony. Having wrapped up the headphones, it is at once a thing that hit me. Bail to the headset does not feel like what I expect from such an animal model. It is thin and feels a little cheap and flimsy. Earcups itself, there was nothing to say on.These gave generally a classy impression, while it is reasonably clear that there is talk of "open construction".

sony-hodetelefoner-4-640x400.png

Then there was only one thing, and it is to try them. Here I went with mixed expectations. On one hand, Sony is known for delivering good value for money and they have certainly delivered good headphones before. Although I have had a couple of the previously closed studio headphones. On the other hand, connects I open headphones Sennheiser HD 650, which allows me fast is quite critical of other open headphones.

I connect headphones to the amplifier and start to play music. Once the music starts I get positively surprised, this was better sound than I expected. The open design quickly shows its advantages.Even if they do not reach all the way up to Sennheiser HD 650, I feel not that they really are missing something that I can point out - with price levels taken into account. The headphones have a solid mid and high range.

sony-hodetelefoner-3-640x400.png

Finally, the problem with open headphones, the bass. Personally I like the bass, at least as long as it is tight. This is why I use closed headphones to normal. There was still surprisingly good bass due to Sony's Acoustic Bass Lens system.

Bass is a topic that will never be understood, therefore, I try instead to compare it with what I have access to. I feel that this gives a little more bass than the Sennheiser headphones, while remaining tight. However, it is nowhere near what you get from many closed headphones, but for me they give a fairly appropriate amount of bass.

So far, we have a pretty good idea of ​​headphones. The only negative we can point out when they are used is that they have little to fall off if you bend your head forward. For example, when you pick up something. This show really how easy they are sitting on the head, and so far they are absolutely comfortable. Check out the page for the full review.

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #54 of 772
"with a sugested retail price of £2600 this is an interesting model. This we must try!" 

For £2600 I'l definitely try it. Let me just sell my house 
tongue.gif

Interesting comments so far. The bass sounds like it's slightly subdued compared to what I was expecting. Hopefully when I get to experience it first hand it will satify me enough. I can understand the cheap statement. It does look very plain. Nice find anyway SWBF2cheater. Any info is good info, even if the translations aren't handled as well.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #56 of 772
Imagine the MA900 to be recabled. I think it'll make a drastic difference like the SA5000.

Apr 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #57 of 772
2600? is that a typo? i swear i thought sony was gonna sell them for around 300 bucks( estimating in pounds around 350 or something right? i have no idea).

unless sony made a quick change in price and thought ''why we selling so cheap? we can't make the product look mediocre,especially if it's a flagship. people think it will suck. lets jack the price up!''

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #58 of 772

Quote:
2600? is that a typo? i swear i thought sony was gonna sell them for around 300 bucks( estimating in pounds around 350 or something right? i have no idea).
unless sony made a quick change in price and thought ''why we selling so cheap? we can't make the product look mediocre,especially if it's a flagship. people think it will suck. lets jack the price up!''

I'm pretty sure a 0 was added accidentally. The price on the Amazon UK page was about 270, so I'm pretty sure that 2,600 is a typo.

Apr 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #59 of 772
At $300 dollars = £180 I wouldn't have hesitated to buy this on the first day, but if amazons price is true at £280, I will have to reconsider. At that price point it is going up against the HD 600/650, D5000/D2000 and the HE 300/400. I think the Ultrasone pro 2900 and 900's are around that price as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back