Sony MDR-EX81 vs Sony MDR-EX71
May 4, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #46 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I like the md33 better
icon10.gif

Shh!!

I must confess that I wouldn't mind trying a pair, I've always heard good things about those 'phones... but, I can't find them for sale in the UK... so, I'm making do with the EX81... according to my ears, that isn't an horrendous choice
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #47 of 101
I hope sony design the MDR-EX72 like the EX71/70, but with the sound of EX81. The earhooks are kinda useless for me, the serve no purpose apart from floating above my ear lobes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
And yours are in black! I definitely prefer that look to the ipod white that Sony is using for alot of their stuff-- just looks to cheap and plasticy to me.

Well I have the white ex81 and I think it looks pretty slick and in no way cheap or tacky. Only thing I don't like about it is the plastic chrome section that joins the metal rod to the actual earbud. Why couldn't they just make it all metal?

May 4, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #48 of 101
HI: I returned my EX81. For the money the Koss 75 to me are a much better buy and sound. Much bigger sound for 20.00.

May 4, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #49 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
=Much bigger sound for 20.00.

Yes.
KSC35/75 have a huge soundstage even for that size and price.
But you have to admit ex81 does have a huge soundstage for earphones (canal)!

May 4, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #50 of 101
HI; The ex81 were a real pain in the a-- to use. They were so flimsy feeling also. The Koss 75 are so easy to use for me. But to each their own.

May 4, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #51 of 101
Quote:

HI; The ex81 were a real pain in the a-- to use. They were so flimsy feeling also. The Koss 75 are so easy to use for me. But to each their own.

Hmmm...Mine doesn't feel flimsy at all. Just a good tight but comfortable fit. Doesn't come off unless I pull it out. And sound is again quite nice too.

May 5, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #52 of 101
Damn it, I am still deciding which one to buy.

I heard lots of great things about MD33, but from this thread, I heard lots of great things about EX81s.

The only thing I am worrying about is the earhook part of the EX81s, I am not quite sure they will fit my ears comfortably.

Are MD33 very rare to find in stores in Canada or HK?

My brother is going to visit HK in a week and I need to tell him which one to buy.

I need your oppinions.

Thanks!

May 5, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #53 of 101
I haven't heard the MD33s, but I recently got the EX81s, and I think they are much better than the EX71s. I found the 71s pretty unenjoyable, but I think the 81s are pretty good. The 81s seem to be more even sounding, and less harsh in the treble and a little cleaner in the bass. And at least for me, I like the design of the 81s, because I had a hard time getting a good fit with the 71s in terms of them staying in place, but with the 81s ear hooks they stay in place well, and I think that helps with the sound/isolation. I wear glasses and the 81s still fit fine and they are pretty unobtrusive.

May 5, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #55 of 101
Quote:

HI: I returned my EX81. For the money the Koss 75 to me are a much better buy and sound. Much bigger sound for 20.00.

Lou... Have to ask... it was that 'bigger' sound in your earlier post that made you want to try the 81... is that no longer the case?

...also, did you try the different sized earplugs?

...Although again, to each their own - there is someone in this thread (who I have forgotten, apologies!) who prefers the 71s to the 81s...

Enjoy the KSC75
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #56 of 101
Quote:

LTUCCI1924- Exactly what do you mean by 'flimsy feeling'? ear clips? canal fit? cheap plastic?

I am curious about the ex81 design and durability? How delicate/breakable are the ear clips. What I do not like about my Koss 75 are that the ear clips detach from the driver too easily.

May 5, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #57 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I like the md33 better
icon10.gif

i recently purchased both and i've found that the ex81 have a more balanced sound while the md33 are a little too bass heavy for me. the ex81 is also a little bass heavy but not anywhere as bad as the md33, while also having clear highs. the md33 sound closed in to me but maybe that's because it's a dark sounding set of cans.

May 5, 2005 at 6:21 AM Post #58 of 101
Well now im back in the debate of cheap canal phone's again, i was about to buy the Panasonic RP-HJE50's because they were the best thing i could get my hands on that were under 50 bucks and not white. But now there are quite a few black 81's on ebay so i think the 81's are back in. Does anyone have both of these, and can you compare them? Just a brief comparison of comfort, bass, mids, and treble is all im really looking for here, anything more is just icing on the cake.

Mabey I should start a dedicated thread for this...bah, mabey later.

May 5, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #59 of 101
After reading this thread I went out and picked up a pair of 81s. I have a pair of Shure E2Cs but I can't listen to them for more than an hour - they just don't fit my ears well no matter which size plugs I use. I got the 81 a few days ago tried them on for comfort (ignoring the initial un-burned in sound). Much more comfortable - these I can wear for a long time! I'm about 20 hours into burning them in and look forward to testing them out in another 20 hours or so.

May 5, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #60 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by seattlestiller
LTUCCI1924- Exactly what do you mean by 'flimsy feeling'? ear clips? canal fit? cheap plastic?

I am curious about the ex81 design and durability? How delicate/breakable are the ear clips. What I do not like about my Koss 75 are that the ear clips detach from the driver too easily.

They're essentially solid state, with a metal bar (I presume - its cold to the touch at least... and it neither looks like or feels like the cheap pretend chrome effect on the driver housing) with a soft rubber hook attached to that... no parts to detach (the headphone cable actually goes through the rubber earclip)

I guess its all about the fit... for me personally, I push them quite a way in to my ear - makes me look a bit like I have antennas sticking out of my ears (that is a bit of an exaggeration really
wink.gif
) and the 'clip' sits snug against the top of my ear (initial comfort issues are now long gone... I can quite happily forget that I am wearing them). I guess it all depends on how big your ears are...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back