Sony MDR-EX81 vs Sony MDR-EX71
May 27, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #91 of 101
Bjork Forever, a username after my own heart
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #93 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjork Forever
I do see several reviews that said the clip on the EX81 is there for display's sake. It does not really serve as a purpose, since it does not really clip to your ear. The can pretty much stays because you insert the bud into the canal.

I am curious to have this answered. Since I would love to do some running with the earphone.

Currently I have a SONY MDR-EX51 and Bose Triport (for different purpose). Will I see significant different in term of sound quality. I notice that EX51 (perhaps like what most said about EX71) has tendency to be more bassy.

Thoughts?

Great comments so far!!

The clips aren't just visual. Though I didn't end up keeping the ex-81s, I was able to get a much more stable fit with them than the ex-71s.

May 27, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #95 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i would probably get the EX81's over those AT clip ons for exercising.

Edipis,

Any particular reason on the ATH products? Being a newbie, do you know if headfi ever discusses the ATH-EC7? Mind giving me the link, if so?

Thanks!
3000smile.gif
:

May 27, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #96 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjork Forever
Edipis,

Any particular reason on the ATH products? Being a newbie, do you know if headfi ever discusses the ATH-EC7? Mind giving me the link, if so?

Thanks!
3000smile.gif
:

your friend, the search engine is.

May 27, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #97 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjino
Bangraman, your comments about the sonic differences could be accurate, because there are definitely differences between the Koss KCS-35, 50, 55, Porta Pro etc. which use the same drivers.

Having said that, I would like to know if you (or anyone else) know for certain that the 71 and 81 do use the same drivers. I was under the impression that Sony had chosen a different driver for the 81s, which supposedly accounts for the sonic differences more than the funky ear clip design. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks.

I can't say for sure that the 71 or 81 have the same drivers but I just modified my 81 to get rid of the clip. Without the clip in place and the stalk pointing down, they sound very similar to my old 71. Bass is much more prominent and boomier although the highs have not changed. I think Bangraman was spot on about these cans and the clip is really the cause of the reduction in bass. If you take your 81 and flip them around so that they go down instead of clipping onto your ears, you will most likely notice that they sound like 71s.

By the way, before anyone thinks about doing this modification, be aware that it is not for the faint of heart. The wires are molded into the clip so it'll involve a lot of cutting, making this mod irreversible. Because the wires are molded into the ear clips, you will have to cut and solder the wires back together. Soldering the wires back together will also take a lot of work. There is some type of insulator in the middle of the wire that seems to suck heat away from the wires and keeps the solder from bonding to strands. You will have to cut off the insulator to make it easier to solder. If you have access to a microscope, it'll make this task easier. I'm lucky that I have access to a full EE lab at work.

Jul 1, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #98 of 101
i need some earphones for my ipod for when i'm at the gym. i currently use a pair of 6i's on the go, but the thuds i hear are pretty annoying.

so my question is, are the 81s good for jogging and such? i hear that the earhooks help but i wanted to know for sure before getting them. thanks.

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #99 of 101
FYI, I have have two sets of EX71s and one set of EX81s, all purchased from audiocubes. There are two sections to both models' cords. In the case of the EX71s, both earphone and extension cables are made of the same material. In the case of the EX81, the earphone cable is made from a more rubbery, far less durable cable, that, after 3 months, is showing premature wear to the point that I have had to patch the insulation at two locations with electrical tape.

Soundwise, I recommend the EX81s as a low cost, better sounding alternative to the EX71s. Lack of durability eliminates this product though - I won't be purchasing this product again.

I would be curious if anyone is having a similar issue with the EX81s

Jul 2, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #101 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dk123
That's interesting. My suspicion is that I like the 81s better than the 71s because I am able to get a much better fit with the 81s.

I don't like the ear clip on the 81 - but it is good for jogging.

Differences between the 70, 71 and 81 are due to how they fit in your ear - same drivers (as far as I can tell), same magnent, same oxy-free wire.

The 70 and 71 fits in my ear just fine and sound great - best for the money but not as good as Etymotic models.

Push the 70 and 71 firmly into your ear and hold there, and you do get too much bass (but better volume). They are not made to be used this way. When inserted normally, they are pleasingly bass heavy but this compensates for weak amplification of bass by most portable sources relying on op-amps. If not inserted in your ear enough both bass and volume weaken. The fit in your ear is critical, as you say above.

I use the 70 and 71 for portable CD with the iRiver IMP400 in walking, but the Etymotic 4S and Lehmann linear amp for home and car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back