Sony MDR-EX81 vs Sony MDR-EX71
May 2, 2005 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
This will be short and sweet...

I cannot believe how bad the Sony EX71 sounds (this coming from a well burnt in pair that sound considerably better than fresh from the box). Lumpy bass, grey mids, and no refinement in the treble whatsoever!!

The EX81 on the other-hand, still have bass (although nowhere near as much or as prominent as the loathsome EX71)... They have a GREAT midrange - far better than the Senn MX400/500 class, and to me - better than the Koss KSC-35 / Senn PX100, and a clear treble (that can maybe still get spitty, but it is being overlooked by me - probably being an owner of the Beyer DT880 helps me there
wink.gif
)

Oh... and the EX81 has a soundstage... quite a good one at that!

The biggest thing about getting the sound right on these though (moreso than on the EX70 and EX71) is using the right sized plugs... for me, that is the medium ones, the other sizes making the 'phones sound thin, and not so good...

I am even prepared to say (subjectively of course
wink.gif
) that these are quite probably the best sounding earphones that Sony has ever made (to my ears, they are cleaner sounding than the E888 and more neutral sounding than the E472 / A21L / E484 class of earphones - although, I will confess that I haven't heard an E282, so that could still be 'king')

With earphones like this, Sony really have raised their game... this isn't just a rehash of the old drivers (or if it is, they did a very good job!!) - this is a whole different sound, one that (at least with the iPod) has proven to be a very compelling listen...

I'm not saying that they're the new messiah, or that i'm going to rush off and sell my Beyer DT880s, but - for out on the road, if you want something carefree and easy to use... the EX81 walk all over the previous generation Sony canal-phones... highly recommended by me
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 101
wow!! i was under the impression that ex81 is just a 'new' ex71 with different style. Its even better than e888? geez

May 2, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 101
I'm interested in the EX81s only if they are more sensitive (read louder) than the EX70s I have. Sony gives similar specs, but I would like to know what is your opinion about that ?

This is because I could NEVERt get a good level (I like things awefully loud) with the EX70s.

Thanx

May 2, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
wow!! i was under the impression that ex81 is just a 'new' ex71 with different style. Its even better than e888? geez

To me, yes... that isn't saying that it is definetly better (different people want different things of course) but for me, the midrange (which is so totally improved as to be unreal!!) of the EX81 is more alive than the somewhat lazy (by comparison) E888, allowing vocals to breath a little easier, and pianos to sound slightly more 'alive'

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a major re-working of the 9mm driver that Sony have employed since the EX70 (either that, or the upside down fit makes all the difference... either way - a difference there is
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 2, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco
I'm interested in the EX81s only if they are more sensitive (read louder) than the EX70s I have. Sony gives similar specs, but I would like to know what is your opinion about that ?

This is because I could NEVERt get a good level (I like things awefully loud) with the EX70s.

Thanx

Stay away from these then.

They are a little tiny bit more sensitive than the older generations, only by virtue (I am guessing) of having more of a midrange which generally makes the music more 'there'... but, these are no miracle workers, so - if loud volumes are your thing - then maybe something like the E888 at 108db/mw - or Shure / ETYs to block out all external sounds will be the better way to go.

May 2, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
To me, yes... that isn't saying that it is definetly better (different people want different things of course) but for me, the midrange (which is so totally improved as to be unreal!!) of the EX81 is more alive than the somewhat lazy (by comparison) E888, allowing vocals to breath a little easier, and pianos to sound slightly more 'alive'

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a major re-working of the 9mm driver that Sony have employed since the EX70 (either that, or the upside down fit makes all the difference... either way - a difference there is
smily_headphones1.gif
)

i see , it seems its like an improved ex71 , i always think ex71 has the potential to sound much better , clear high , smooth mids and earth shaking bass, hope the ex81 provides that

May 2, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
i see , it seems its like an improved ex71 , i always think ex71 has the potential to sound much better , clear high , smooth mids and earth shaking bass, hope the ex81 provides that

To say that they're an improvement of the 71 is to sell them short - Seriously!

The mids of the 71s (now, please bear in mind that i've been sticking up for those 'phones for the best part of two years! - I've never been an EX71 basher) sound so recessed as to be non-existant when compared to the 81s, and the bass is not so 'one-note' like as the EX71, which sounds slightly claustrophobic / oppressive in comparison.

The treble of the 81 is still clear, and extended, but is nowhere near as spitty as the 71s (especially out of the box... Ouch!!). And the soundstage, I am genuinly unsure where that has come from... whether it is in evidence because of the improved midrange, or from the slightly less impressive isolation - I cannot say, but either way, it works like a charm to just give the whole package a very different feel to previous generations.

This is now actually making me consider purchasing the Qualia earphones (the EXQ1 or whatever they are called)... although $200 could well be overkill if they end up using the older EX7x drivers
frown.gif

May 2, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 101
Yeah the EX81s were the gateway drug that got me into audiophile world.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might not have switched if it weren't for the fact that I was getting static shocks from them for some reason...
blink.gif

May 2, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
To say that they're an improvement of the 71 is to sell them short - Seriously!

The mids of the 71s (now, please bear in mind that i've been sticking up for those 'phones for the best part of two years! - I've never been an EX71 basher) sound so recessed as to be non-existant when compared to the 81s, and the bass is not so 'one-note' like as the EX71, which sounds slightly claustrophobic / oppressive in comparison.

The treble of the 81 is still clear, and extended, but is nowhere near as spitty as the 71s (especially out of the box... Ouch!!). And the soundstage, I am genuinly unsure where that has come from... whether it is in evidence because of the improved midrange, or from the slightly less impressive isolation - I cannot say, but either way, it works like a charm to just give the whole package a very different feel to previous generations.

This is now actually making me consider purchasing the Qualia earphones (the EXQ1 or whatever they are called)... although $200 could well be overkill if they end up using the older EX7x drivers
frown.gif

but too bad i have bought ksc 75 and enjoying them , no intention to buy or change to any headphones , if theres a chance i would like to try the ex81

May 2, 2005 at 6:32 PM Post #10 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoteriX
Yeah the EX81s were the gateway drug that got me into audiophile world.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might not have switched if it weren't for the fact that I was getting static shocks from them for some reason...
blink.gif

Ooh, that doesn't sound so good... do you have a thick pile carpet? (I get static shocks off of everything at work for exactly that reason... is a nightmare!!)

...Did you ever compare the EX81 to your Shure E3C that I see listed in your signature?

May 2, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Duncan-

Have you ever listened to the MD33's or E2C's? If so how does the EX81 compare to them?

No, admittedly not... although i'm only comparing Sony to Sony rather than across the board...

That being said, I do think its probably about time that I do get a pair of Shures so that I can A/B (and C) the good, the bad, and the ugly
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 101
I agree with Duncan's statement that the EX81's are better in almost every department compared to the E888's. The only thing I found the E888's better for is clarity, as I've never head earbuds/earphones that clear (albeit I've never heard higher end shures or ety's).

EX81's are coming close to my favorite portables, close to dethroning the easy pleasing CM5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back