Sony MDR-EX81 vs Sony MDR-EX71
May 2, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
Em, are wires on 81's thin like 71's? Nearly broke 'em when I had 71's. How about the infamous driver failure of 71's? Mine went after 6 months. Although you probably won't know for 6 months. Oh-well. See you when I wake from my hibernation

WHen i had the ex81's i thought that they were well built. The cable is thin but not weak thin.

May 2, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #17 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Duncan-

Have you ever listened to the MD33's or E2C's? If so how does the EX81 compare to them?

From what i remember the md33's had more bass than the ex81's, but i think the 81's had better clarity. The e2c's i think are a step down from both these cans, they have the world known rolled off highs and a "tunnel sound".

May 2, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #19 of 101
This Christmas I got the EX81SL's (white). My roommates got the EX71SL's (black and white). I thought the EX81's were definitely less bassy than the EX71's, but overall didn't have that much better mids. After I sent them back to Sony because of a defective cable I got my Sony D66's. After hearing what good mids sound like I had a hard time listening to the muffled EX81's. I decided to sell the EX81's and get a pair of black EX71's. I like a lot of bass and I find that these are much easier to use than the EX81's for portable use. I found that the white cable's are very fragile and get dirty very easily, also the earclips work OK, but make it more difficult to shove them in a pocket.

Overall I think that they do sound different, but you're not getting an amazing step up in sound quality.
-If you like the regular length cable and want the earclips these could be for you.
-If you can't stand loose bass and don't mind muffled mids you might consider these.
-But if you are only deciding to buy these due to the sound quality difference (from the EX71's) don't expect too much or you'll be very dissapointed.

I would recommend the EX81's to anyone who doesn't think they're comprimising convenience for sound quality. If you think the EX81 design is just as good (or better) for your use, then I think they're great for the price. But if you'd rather have the smaller EX71's and are thinking of getting the EX81's due to better sound quality I don't know if it's worth the comprimise. I like thumping bass and actually prefer the the sound quality of the EX71's.

May 2, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #20 of 101
Duncan
HI: Ok you got me. I just ordered the EX81 lp/b. I am hoping that they will replace my Koss 75 for my portable radio. How would you compair them to the Koss 75? Oh how long is the cord? Thank you
Oh did you use burn in on them?

May 3, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #21 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
-But if you are only deciding to buy these due to the sound quality difference (from the EX71's) don't expect too much or you'll be very dissapointed.

I would suggest that your pair were very defective maybe, although - like you say if you like that 'killer' bass, then - with the 81s you could be left wanting a bit more.

Lou,

The cord is one of those split types, so is short for remote controls, and with an extension for - if not, the connection part doesn't really phase me - never has with Sony 'phones, due to it being so light
smily_headphones1.gif

As to burn in, I've just used my iPod... you and me are alike in at least one way - i like my music loud, so - they're certainly not playing from cold anymore
biggrin.gif

I can only compare to the KSC-35, for which I find the Sonys to be clearer, but leaner sounding than the Koss... I don't know how much you like the 75s, and how good they are compared to the 35s, but fingers crossed the EX81 will still sound good to you
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #22 of 101
Duncan
HI: How are you? I have found a big difference between the 35-75. When used out of a portable source they both sound about the same but when you put the 75 in a powerful amp they break up in the bass but the 35 can take all the power that you might have.

Also you might have the Sp wire and in the USA the EX81 comes with the LP wire that I think don't have the split wire. Does anyone know if the LP USA wire is very long compared to the Koss 35-75 wire?

Oh I will be using the 81 with my portable radio for a talk show and better celerity sound good to me. The 75 have a bit of to much bass for talk sound.

May 3, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #24 of 101
Looks like us Europeans got stuck with the SL version then (I didn't realise, even though I guess - with Sony, that it is quite normal for them to do this - that there was an LP version as well)

I hope you like them Lou, they are (to me) very good for vocals, sounding quite rich (for earphones) and without such terrible bass bloom as the previous versions of these earphones.

Duncan.

May 3, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #26 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
im interested in buying ex81. Does anyone ever compared sony ex81 with senn px100 directly?which one better?

I have both the ex81 and the px200. I think the clarity, mids and highs on the ex81's are better than the px200. The px200 gives just as much isolation and bass that can only be found from larger drivers. I would argue for the ex81's if you like canalphones, since they can be found for a similar price and are better suited for portable use.

This might not be too relevant, since I've never heard the px100, but I hope it helps.

May 3, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #27 of 101
ive read many reviews that says px100 are better than px200...so does anyone know which one are better?and does anyone know online store that sell ex81 and willing to sent it to indonesia coz there isnt any store that sell ex81 in indonesia...what a pitty

May 3, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #28 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
im interested in buying ex81. Does anyone ever compared sony ex81 with senn px100 directly?which one better?

I have both, i think the px100 has a better overall sound. I really dont know how to describe it

May 3, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #29 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
From what i remember the md33's had more bass than the ex81's, but i think the 81's had better clarity. The e2c's i think are a step down from both these cans, they have the world known rolled off highs and a "tunnel sound".

well for the price you can't argue can you?

May 3, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
The US version of the EX81 is the MDR-EX81LP which is the one-piece regular length cord.

The Japanese version is the MDR-EX81SL which has a short cord and an extension. Just like the MDR-EX71SL (the only type of EX71 available).

As far as I can see from the pics u gave (I assume thats urs?) urs is the US version. But what I'm surprised to know is that it seems that the US version bundled accessories are different from the Japanese version? I live in SG and I have the Japanese version, which consists of the different sized earbuds and a nicey pouch to put the phones in.

And yes, the biggest difference btw the US and Japanese version is by the length of the cord, by default the EX81SL is only 0.5 metres long, but comes with an extension cord of 1 metre. But I don't use the extension cord as the default length is enough for me, partly also because I choose to use the remote control of my PSP, which is long enough even with my PSP in my bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back