Sony MDR-EX81 vs Sony MDR-EX71
May 3, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haonan
As far as I can see from the pics u gave (I assume thats urs?) urs is the US version. But what I'm surprised to know is that it seems that the US version bundled accessories are different from the Japanese version? I live in SG and I have the Japanese version, which consists of the different sized earbuds and a nicey pouch to put the phones in.

And yes, the biggest difference btw the US and Japanese version is by the length of the cord, by default the EX81SL is only 0.5 metres long, but comes with an extension cord of 1 metre. But I don't use the extension cord as the default length is enough for me, partly also because I choose to use the remote control of my PSP, which is long enough even with my PSP in my bag.

My Canadian version is identical to your description.
Here are some pics...(Yes BLACK
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
)
ex8111bw.jpg

ex8125tr.jpg

May 4, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #32 of 101
@ prototypeX2...which one better between senn px100 and ex81,because i see that yaou previously owned px100 and now u are using ex81...

@sony898.....so it isnt worthed to upgrade my rigs to ex81?

May 4, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #34 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
@ prototypeX2...which one better between senn px100 and ex81,because i see that yaou previously owned px100 and now u are using ex81...

@sony898.....so it isnt worthed to upgrade my rigs to ex81?

Soundwise, I like the PX100 better.
Comfort wise....both are comfortable in their own unique way.
Isolation wise, ex81 wins hands down.
Leak-block wise, also again ex81 wins.

I chose this because I needed cans that didn't leak much. PX100 were leakers!
If you prefer getting a better sound, then PX100 is a better choice IMHO.

May 4, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by techie
thanx dude for the comment...does anyone have another opinions?

No problem
tongue.gif

This is only my opinion, and some people from Headphone Reviews think that ex81 are better than PX100.

May 4, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #37 of 101
The PX100 are great cans for overall sound on a budget - and if it were for use at home, then - I would personally choose the PX100 also (many will know that I really hate the PX200........) but, for out and about, the EX81 are the ones for me. There is not so much of a worry about them falling off of my head, and noise pollution as someone above has mentioned is a LOT less with the Sonys - both in, and out - and that to me is important.

That isn't to say that imo the EX81 sounds bad - far from it - I think they are great, but - I know that they have limitations - especially to the likes of those of us that post on this board - UEMs these are not - but for the price, not bad at all
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #38 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2
My Canadian version is identical to your description.
Here are some pics...(Yes BLACK
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Yes PrototypeX2, the japanese version package that I was referring to earlier on, is the one in your pictures shown. Thanks for putting up a reference pic for the rest of us.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #39 of 101
Okay...

Just tidied up a little... If your posts have disappeared - I'm sure you'll know why...

...Just spreading a little karma
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #40 of 101
Lets just forget everything else that has happened now please... its gone, you can't see it
rolleyes.gif

Lets get back to the case in point... IMO - and seemingly others - the EX81 rock... Sony have finally done something right with their earbuds... for about the first time in ten years
biggrin.gif

WTG Sony!

May 4, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #41 of 101
Also alot of people will probably chuck the EX81s away after the inital listening because of its piercingly harsh treble, but trust me 100%, the harshess resides after a week or two of use.

I prefer my EX81s over my ER6i simply because of the extended bass and highs on the EX81s. The sonys also are much easier to listen to because of the "U" shaped frequency response. This makes vocals sound so much better, especially female vocals which sound sexier for some reason!

That said the EX81s like the EX71 still miss the midrange impact/accuracy and forwardness of the ER6i.

May 4, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #42 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haonan
As far as I can see from the pics u gave (I assume thats urs?) urs is the US version. But what I'm surprised to know is that it seems that the US version bundled accessories are different from the Japanese version? I live in SG and I have the Japanese version, which consists of the different sized earbuds and a nicey pouch to put the phones in.

And yes, the biggest difference btw the US and Japanese version is by the length of the cord, by default the EX81SL is only 0.5 metres long, but comes with an extension cord of 1 metre. But I don't use the extension cord as the default length is enough for me, partly also because I choose to use the remote control of my PSP, which is long enough even with my PSP in my bag.

And yours are in black! I definitely prefer that look to the ipod white that Sony is using for alot of their stuff-- just looks to cheap and plasticy to me.

May 4, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #43 of 101
just found these (in black! yeah!) at a local Circuit City. I'm digging the sound... These for $49 seem like a better value than something liek the ER6's at $95...

May 4, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #44 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
just found these (in black! yeah!) at a local Circuit City. I'm digging the sound... These for $49 seem like a better value than something liek the ER6's at $95...

I'm glad there is another convert... seems like people really are liking the EX81
biggrin.gif

I'm finding them much easier to listen to on the train than the EX71... the reduced bass is much more to my liking... and the extra midrange... works just perfectly for me
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back