Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,216 of 1,311
Quote:
You can always pick up a pack of tips for cheaper but it is not necessary. The EX-7550 are higher in the Sony line of products but are meant to have a different sig to the 600 and the 1k which i can not comment on having just heard the 1k. You want my opinion, pay the extra and pick some 1ks up for $300!

I'd get the EX1000's if they didn't cost twice as much as the EX600/7550... Those two seem like a very good alternative, especially since in other reviews people say the difference between them and the 1000 in sound quality isn't that big.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,218 of 1,311
Quote:
Again I'm sorry for bringing up a slightly older thread again, but I'm in the position where I can get either the MDR-EX600 or the MDR-7550 for pretty much the exact same price. Does anyone have opinions on this for me? I come from the EX300 right now. One thing I'm sort of afraid of is the lack of the huge set of tips with the MDR-7550.

I currently have the 600 & 1000, and the difference is negligeable, hardly noticeable, and when I had the 7550s, those where nicer in the mid section, over both the 6 and 1k, but the 7550s didn't match up in the soundstage, the 6 & 1k both have a much better soundstage that extended more, and the 7550s where aweful to where when out and about in the wind, they are all ported,

but the 600s stand out the most by far value wise, but you will have to burn burn burn burn burn burn them in, to tame down the at first harsh and sibilant treble, eq them at first, treble reducer on my iPod Classic helped

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,219 of 1,311
Quote:

I currently have the 600 & 1000, and the difference is negligeable, hardly noticeable, and when I had the 7550s, those where nicer in the mid section, over both the 6 and 1k, but the 7550s didn't match up in the soundstage, the 6 & 1k both have a much better soundstage that extended more, and the 7550s where aweful to where when out and about in the wind, they are all ported,

but the 600s stand out the most by far value wise, but you will have to burn burn burn burn burn burn them in, to tame down the at first harsh and sibilant treble, eq them at first, treble reducer on my iPod Classic helped

Hm. Well, since I don't trust most retailers advertising with the EX600 around here and the 7550 is sold by a very reputable seller at a much reduced price I decided to go for the 7550 after all. We'll see how it goes, I can always return them within 30 days. If they don't work out I might try the EX600. I hope I won't be disappointed! In any case, thanks a lot for the advice!

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #1,220 of 1,311
sweet good choice, yes since they're both same price, the 7550s will not disapoint, I love the Ex line up, I sometimes miss the mids on those 7550s, but since I also spend the majority of my time out and about, it was hard on windy days? 

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #1,221 of 1,311
@Anderoan, good to read!

On the topic of the MDR-7550's that don't include many earbuds (just S, M and L), I was wondering if anyone in Europe has a spare set of earbuds (like this one http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/2f/1000x500px-LL-2f7ba9d9_ex1000_02.jpg) they're willing to sell and ship to me (Belgium). I don't mind if a few are missing, but I'd like to try the hybrid tips and I can't seem to order them from Sony. I know some of you have a huge arsenal of headphones (for example both the EX600 and EX1000) which means someone might have a double set?

You can contact me through PM here (I think?) or on Twitter (@AmbroosV).

I'm really sorry if this is against the rules, but it looks like an appropriate thread and I couldn't find anything discouraging it...

Jul 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #1,222 of 1,311
Hi guys,

I had the chance to try both the 600 and 1000 and I'm finding myself very conflicted. On one hand, I love how intimate the 600 sounds. At the same time though, the 1000 sounds so much more refined, and the sound stage is much bigger.

Locally both are pretty expensive, weighing in at 175/435 respectively. Are there better places to buy and still have warranty?

I'm also wondering about the build quality of the wires. The demo model I tried had problems with the right ear in the Ex 600 model.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,223 of 1,311
Calling all EX600 / EX1000 owners! (if you have owned both or heard both this is for you)

Probably like many people who have own/owned EX600 this has made me only more curious about EX1000. I am really enjoying the EX600 soundstage and signature actually so much I'm thinking of purchasing EX1000 almost straight away. One of my concerns is Tyll from inner fidelity mentions EX1000 can sound a little harsh driven from portable sources with MP3 files, and he recommends for such users to get EX600 instead. I will be using Cowon S9, D2+, C2, players to run them and Fiio E10 from my computer with all music at 320kbps.

If anything I could use a touch more treble from my EX600, would EX1000 offer that? From a EX1000 owners view is it worth me forking out the $330 for the upgrade? I'm not made of money but for sound like EX600 offers I can do it if worth the increase in SQ. Do your EX1000 ever sound harsh or have too much treble bite from your portable sources?

Aug 24, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,224 of 1,311
Quote:
Calling all EX600 / EX1000 owners! (if you have owned both or heard both this is for you)
Probably like many people who have own/owned EX600 this has made me only more curious about EX1000. I am really enjoying the EX600 soundstage and signature actually so much I'm thinking of purchasing EX1000 almost straight away. One of my concerns is Tyll from inner fidelity mentions EX1000 can sound a little harsh driven from portable sources with MP3 files, and he recommends for such users to get EX600 instead. I will be using Cowon S9, D2+, C2, players to run them and Fiio E10 from my computer with all music at 320kbps.
If anything I could use a touch more treble from my EX600, would EX1000 offer that? From a EX1000 owners view is it worth me forking out the $330 for the upgrade? I'm not made of money but for sound like EX600 offers I can do it if worth the increase in SQ. Do your EX1000 ever sound harsh or have too much treble bite from your portable sources?

I owned the EX600 first, then quickly ordered the EX1000, compared them, then sold the EX600.  I found the EX1000 superior in every way (highs, lows, less grainy-ness), but by a slight amount.  To me, it was worth it, but I wouldn't argue with anyone saying the increment in quality is not worth the increment in price..

I don't find the EX1000 harsher than the EX600, quite the contrary, I find it more refined.  My only concern would be pairing it with a Cowon, as my only Cowon experience was the J3, and I couldn't stand the SQ at all (no warmth, metallic sounding without EQ .... distorted with EQ)..

Aug 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #1,225 of 1,311
I owned the EX600 first, then quickly ordered the EX1000, compared them, then sold the EX600.  I found the EX1000 superior in every way (highs, lows, less grainy-ness), but by a slight amount.  To me, it was worth it, but I wouldn't argue with anyone saying the increment in quality is not worth the increment in price..

I don't find the EX1000 harsher than the EX600, quite the contrary, I find it more refined.  My only concern would be pairing it with a Cowon, as my only Cowon experience was the J3, and I couldn't stand the SQ at all (no warmth, metallic sounding without EQ .... distorted with EQ)..

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard the upgrade doesn't weigh up to the money out-lay exactly, so I'm not going in unaware there. There's a possibility of being able to demo EX1000 with my own gear first which recently popped up, so my reassurance has been restored. The EX600 appears to have slight treble roll off and can become a tad harsh at higher volumes in the upper mids. It also loses some of it's smoothness as you go up past medium volume levels. For normal listening levels it sure is a wonderful soundstage and layering delight!

I completely understand your view on Cowon players, I felt the same for a while, actually almost sold the S9 a few times. The secret is, use as less EQ possible (it really messes up the sound) less the better, only adding some BBE and Mach3bass to your tastes. (leave everything else off). Eventually I adapted to the sound. Took about a month or two though.

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,226 of 1,311
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I've heard the upgrade doesn't weigh up to the money out-lay exactly, so I'm not going in unaware there. There's a possibility of being able to demo EX1000 with my own gear first which recently popped up, so my reassurance has been restored. The EX600 appears to have slight treble roll off and can become a tad harsh at higher volumes in the upper mids. It also loses some of it's smoothness as you go up past medium volume levels. For normal listening levels it sure is a wonderful soundstage and layering delight!
I completely understand your view on Cowon players, I felt the same for a while, actually almost sold the S9 a few times. The secret is, use as less EQ possible (it really messes up the sound) less the better, only adding some BBE and Mach3bass to your tastes. (leave everything else off). Eventually I adapted to the sound. Took about a month or two though.

I believe your issues with higher volumes and high rolloff ARE handled nicely in the EX1000.  Maybe THAT'S where the payback for the price increment is.....

Aug 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,227 of 1,311
I believe your issues with higher volumes and high rolloff ARE handled nicely in the EX1000.  Maybe THAT'S where the payback for the price increment is.....

I think I understand what you're saying there. :smile:

I absolutely loathe the included EX600 cable, it gets the job done I guess but how well? I feel a lot of that smoothness I mentioned is being restricted due to the stock cable. It's so thin and cheap feeling also coming from TF10 upgrade cables and GR07 MKII. It's a shame because the earpieces themselves are a wonderful design.

I've contacted Jaben Australia, they are trying to chase up one of these Silver EX1000 cables from Jaben Honk Kong. How successful they'll be I don't know yet.

I definitely feel an improvement will be made. even though I'd prefer silver plated over full silver.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,228 of 1,311
Hi guys, I am interested to try a set of these EX600s. Please kindly advise me on 2 questions, thanks:

1) Do the memory wires/loops contain metal in it or is it completely soft? If you wear glasses with EX600, do you get microphonics or discomfort?  
I hate the metal memory wires in my custom Westone ES3Xs as they rub against the frames of my glass and cause microphonics, discomfort and disconnection. I removed the metal wires and everything is perfect.

2) I like low to none isolation. Can you hear your wife talking to you at moderate/low volume? If you are walking on the street and your neighbour talk to you, can you hear him/her at moderate/low volume?
I also considered JVC-FX500s, which offer less isolation. However, FX500s are too expensive at $171 shipped. IE8s' tonal balance may not suit me. Brookstone Clear Dual Drive may work though I would like to know more their sound signature. I do not like earbuds as their bass is not deep enough (had Yuin PK1s before).

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #1,229 of 1,311
Hi guys, I am interested to try a set of these EX600s. Please kindly advise me on 2 questions, thanks:

1) Do the memory wires/loops contain metal in it or is it completely soft? If you wear glasses with EX600, do you get microphonics or discomfort?  
I hate the metal memory wires in my custom Westone ES3Xs as they rub against the frames of my glass and cause microphonics, discomfort and disconnection. I removed the metal wires and everything is perfect.

2) I like low to none isolation. Can you hear your wife talking to you at moderate/low volume? If you are walking on the street and your neighbour talk to you, can you hear him/her at moderate/low volume?
I also considered JVC-FX500s, which offer less isolation. However, FX500s are too expensive at $171 shipped. IE8s' tonal balance may not suit me. Brookstone Clear Dual Drive may work though I would like to know more their sound signature. I do not like earbuds as their bass is not deep enough (had Yuin PK1s before).

1) I'm trying to feel for a wire in my pair and it does appear there is one. A very thin strip which holds the mould in place. very thin though. The ear guides are rather thick too compared to the cable.

2) The isolation is low, you will hear people talking around you at lower volumes, if not I suggest lighter insertion, or go down a tip size. It's fairly low isolation that I would be surprised if you can't have a conversation with someone while wearing them, although it's a matter of volume levels too. I can hear conversations in the lounge room 15 metres away when volume is at lower levels, it's not exactly clear though you can make out what's being said.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,230 of 1,311
^ Thanks so much!
I think their lack of isolation is exactly what I want. The ear loop with metal wire is probably not, as I wear glasses and can only tolerate thin and soft cable between my ears and frames of glasses.
I bought some ATH-CKM500,which seem to have the perfect form factor. Their isolation is said to be a little higher than EX600s though.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back