Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,141 of 1,311
I walk my dog and sometimes jog a bit with her, and no issues at all with that activity and them falling out or loose,  they are a great over the ear fit, isolation I would consider fair, no more or less then the TF10s that I had, and the bass, deep thumping frakishly great bass, mmmm delicious and warm and enthralling, well they amp suoer well, as I run I am running a Voyager ZOv1 combo, and it is sweeeet!

Quote:
Hey, guys!

It's always a daunting task to find good IEMs quality and price wise. However, I'm really interested in EX600 and have some questions which need to answered before I finally make up my mind.

1. How these IEMs fare when it comes to sport? For example, jogging or working out in the gym. Is the fit comfortable and firm? I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to do sport with IEMs as you're sweating a lot and may damage your IEMs. Anyone has experience with it?
2. In addition to the first question, I'd like to know what's the level of isolation. I have read that isolation is not the strongest side of these IEMs. Anyway, I prefer a little bit outside noise coming through as I plan to use EX600 walking on a street, in a metro, train, plane, etc. In these situations I prefer to be aware of the surroundings, but by not too much as I still want to enjoy the music. Anyone can comment on this?
3. What about mighty bass? Is it really lacking as some people stay? Is it enough for electronic music? For instance, downtempo house. Don't really care about trance.

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,142 of 1,311
Does anyone know how do these compare to the Monster Mile Davis Tribute or the Yamahas eph-100? I found on this thread someone saying that he preffered these over the MDT's but nothing more. Thank you!

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #1,143 of 1,311
I feel like my cable might give out soon, how would I go about replacing it? Does it have to be under warranty? How much would one cost? How long do you think they'll keep carrying the cable since the ex600 was discontinued?

I'm wondering if I should get a replacement just in case. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #1,144 of 1,311

Quote:
I feel like my cable might give out soon, how would I go about replacing it? Does it have to be under warranty? How much would one cost? How long do you think they'll keep carrying the cable since the ex600 was discontinued?

I'm wondering if I should get a replacement just in case. 

How long have you been using it?
If you live in the US, I suggest you call the Sony service center in Texas when the cable breaks - even if it's out of warranty. They are very friendly and helpful, so you may get a replacement of the whole thing (they don't fix or replace the cable, they replace the whole thing).

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,145 of 1,311
Just checked with Sony's service center about the replacement for my EX600. I am disappointed to report that Sony has run out of the EX600 and is sending me a pair of EX1000 instead. I am also disappointed at Fedex. Just tracked the shipping and I won't receive the replacement until April 9.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,146 of 1,311
I'll trade you a almost new pair of 600s for the 1000s to ease your disappointment. 
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,147 of 1,311

Quote:
I'll trade you a almost new pair of 600s for the 1000s to ease your disappointment. 
beerchug.gif

Only if you can guarantee the cable will break before warranty expires.
wink_face.gif

OK I admit I lied (for the 1st time in my life) when I said I was disappointed.
beerchug.gif

Now I will be really disappointed (and pissed off too) if the replacement arrives as a pair of EX600.
deadhorse.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,148 of 1,311
Well, the fedex surprised me with an overnight delivery after I got home from work today while its tracking status still shows April 9 as the target delivery date. LOL. I think fedex is very conservative in the estimate.

Here you go the EX1000 - the replacement of my EX600. Thank you Sony.

I will post some impressions on the EX1000 thread later.

EDIT (following a few hrs of listening with the EX1000): 

Although I am no longer the owner of EX600, some of you may be interested in my initial impression of the EX1000. IMO the EX1000 is refined in almost all categories in comparison to the EX600. The significant refinement to me is gone the grainy treble of the EX600, instead treble for the EX1000 is lush and smooth. Compared to the EX600, the EX1000 has more extended bass, a slightly bigger head stage, more revealing details. Also to my ears the EX1000 is slightly warmer than the EX600.

First time I have heard sibilance with the EX1000. But sibilance doesn't bother me.

Knowing what I know now about the EX600 and the EX1000, I would have bought EX1000 at first place without hesitation.

One more thing, the cable for the EX1000 shows the "EX600" letters though. That seems dumb.

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #1,150 of 1,311

Quote:
Just be careful with EX1000, I think majority of the EX1000 owners including me got the paint chipped off the housing. 

Yeah heard about the paint issue. I guess there is nothing you can do about it if that is from normal use. Surprised though that a Sony product made in Japan has this issue.

Apr 9, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,152 of 1,311
I finally got my hands (and ears) on the EX600 thanks to the generosity of one shall remain un-named. Holy crap, they sound far better than I expected! But the fit is worse than I thought...

An amazing pair of earphones. The only thing holding them back is the unwieldiness of their fit, making them a headphone I wouldn't wear outside.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #1,153 of 1,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostid /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One more thing, the cable for the EX1000 shows the "EX600" letters though. That seems dumb.

That is because that cable is actually the same as the one included with the MDR-EX600. The version of the MDR-EX1000 in Europe/Asia actually has a different cable.

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,154 of 1,311

Quote:
I finally got my hands (and ears) on the EX600 thanks to the generosity of one shall remain un-named. Holy crap, they sound far better than I expected! But the fit is worse than I thought...

An amazing pair of earphones. The only thing holding them back is the way they're shaped.

You should have listened to my recommendation on the EX600 over the EPH100.
wink_face.gif

Now you need to try the EX1000 - it sounds even better! I call aerodynamic sounding - fast, airy and accurate.

Quote:
That is because that cable is actually the same as the one included with the MDR-EX600. The version of the MDR-EX1000 in Europe/Asia actually has a different cable.

Don't understand why Sony treat the US customers as 2nd class. :)  

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,155 of 1,311

Quote:
You should have listened to my recommendation on the EX600 over the EPH100.
wink_face.gif

Now you need to try the EX1000 - it sounds even better! I call aerodynamic sounding - fast, airy and accurate.

You were right 
biggrin.gif
 My apologies sir. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back