Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #991 of 1,311
Brand new MDR EX 600 owner here I got them a few days ago
ksc75smile.gif

First things first, many thanks and much respect out to the user kiteki for recommending these to me on another thread. They're very much everything I had hoped they would be so many thanks.

My main question for the thread is has anyone tried different tips for these IEM's? I know someone early on in the thread mentioned Monster tips but I'd rather keep away from Monster products if given the choice. I'm also rather curious if anyone has tried mating these IEM's with a mobile amp yet. I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has given products from  iBasso or maybe even the TTVJ slim or XM6 a shot with these. The treble was pretty hot when I originally got these out of the box but over the last few days the upper range seems to have settled down. Seems like a lot of people's main gripe with these IEM's is the hot treble but personally now that they've settled a bit I'm quite enjoying that high frequency range. My only gripe is I'm noticing a slight haze( if that makes any sense )somewhere in the mid treble region and wouldn't mind a little more of a clearer shimmer. Of coarse that's just me nit picking. The reason I was asking for more information on tips is because I was hoping to maybe completely eliminate sibilance. In the beginning sibilance was quite bad on these but over the last day or so I've noticed it's also settled down along with the treble. I'm hoping with some tip experimentation to completely eliminate any sibilance and if I could also increase isolation that would be a much appreciated bonus. Every time I'm riding the bus the drone of the engine leaks in and ruins an otherwise pleasant listening experience.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #993 of 1,311
Hi DigitalFreak glad you're enjoying them.

Portable amps are typically not the way to go for sound quality, in dollar for decibel you can find much higher sound quality elsewhere, such as buying a vastly higher-end IEM and Fiio E6, instead of a Sony EX600 and $250 portable amp.

You could also spend $200 on a fantastic desktop DAC.

JUST MY THOUGHTS.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #994 of 1,311

There's also different qualities of sibilance, IMHO the Sony SA-5000 had the best sibilance I'd ever heard, fresh out of the box it was a bit piercing but still highly enjoyable.

ATH-CK10 sibilance was less enjoyable.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #995 of 1,311
There's nothing enjoyable about piercing sibilance IMO.  Technically, sibilance should be there but only in natural amounts consistent w/ consonants used in the spoken word for example.  One great thing about the HD800 is you hear the sibilance as accurate speech when sourced right.  Very few phones if any other than the HD800 have nailed that so well.

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #997 of 1,311
Quote:
All this talk about sibilance! D:

Wanna know something strange? I miss the sibilance :p I've had mine for about a month so far, who know's how many hours they've had at this point~ But the fact is, all my EQing has been a hump at around the 10k is range. bottom range is fine, but to get sounds as clear as I'd like, I usually end up bumping up the high's even more! :p

Not only did I get used to the sibilance, but I enjoyed it

It is true though, some tracks are just too ear piercing and I have to turn off my EQing, but for the majority of my music, I listen to my EX600s with the high's bumped up :p

Don't know if I broke my ears while breaking the EX600s in, but I'm loving the high's I can get outta these things :]

ditto:

Quote:
I recently had a revelation with the GR07.. switching to the stock, biflanges from the stock single flanges.  i absolutely loved the single flanges on the GR07.. but I couldn't believe how much better they sounded with the biflange..

With that move, I decided to slap the GR07 single flange on the EX600.. and I experienced a similar kind of nirvana with the EX600.  With the GR07's stock single biflange.. I found the sound quality blew what I was hearing with the hybrids.. far far away.  My chief gripe with the EX600 was the (relatively) thin mids & bass that lacked punch I knew the EX600 was capable off.  They sounded great with the hybrids, but left me wanting in these two areas.  Enter the GR07 tips.. gamechanger!  Full, fleshed out mids revealing the smallest of details I've ever heard from the EX600 and gorgeous bass that's got the punch and extension I expected.  The tendency of the harsh upper mids to poke it's head out has all but diminished (appearing only at very high volumes).  Treble has excellent detail and a very balanced presence in reference to the bass and mids.  The EX600 simply sound more dynamic, lively, and energetic.

As I mentioned on the GR07 thread.. there is something truly magical about the GR07 tips.. at least to my ears.  The Hybrid tips will be collecting dust for the forseeable future.

hey FlySweep

I did similair with the large bi flange tips from my RE262's

I tried all the tips and none of them compares to Head-Directs large bi-flanges!! I got used to them along with my RE262's, and after I got the 600's I just switched them over to them!! KA-SWEET!! on a lark thats when I thought I'd try out the tips that came with the 600's, yuck no, yuck no, yuck no, and then to be fair I used the larger hybrids out on a walk to see if wearing them would help me to hear what everbody else was talking bout? let me tell you I couldn't wait to get home and swap the back to the H-D bi flanges, what  FREAKINGLY HUGE difference they make!!

Quote:
Brand new MDR EX 600 owner here I got them a few days ago
ksc75smile.gif

My main question for the thread is has anyone tried different tips for these IEM's? I know someone early on in the thread mentioned Monster tips but I'd rather keep away from Monster products if given the choice. I'm also rather curious if anyone has tried mating these IEM's with a mobile amp yet. I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has given products from  iBasso or maybe even the TTVJ slim or XM6 a shot with these. The treble was pretty hot when I originally got these out of the box but over the last few days the upper range seems to have settled down. Seems like a lot of people's main gripe with these IEM's is the hot treble but personally now that they've settled a bit I'm quite enjoying that high frequency range. My only gripe is I'm noticing a slight haze( if that makes any sense )somewhere in the mid treble region and wouldn't mind a little more of a clearer shimmer. Of coarse that's just me nit picking. The reason I was asking for more information on tips is because I was hoping to maybe completely eliminate sibilance. In the beginning sibilance was quite bad on these but over the last day or so I've noticed it's also settled down along with the treble. I'm hoping with some tip experimentation to completely eliminate any sibilance and if I could also increase isolation that would be a much appreciated bonus. Every time I'm riding the bus the drone of the engine leaks in and ruins an otherwise pleasant listening experience.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

hey DigitalFreak
beerchug.gif
, and welcom to the club,
deadhorse.gif
yep start beating them into submission, lol, nice ZOvatar btw,

I know the sound your talking about trying to find, and know that the 600's posses hidden talents, buwahahaha, secret powers if you will, but the Head-Directs large bi-falnges like I said really get the job done for me, not to brag,

and if you guys are hearing what I'm hearing when I'm using the stock tips, I'm feeling sad for you all,

because when I put on the H-D bf's, HOLY SHIMOLIES what a stinking difference it winds up making, the bass is of the charts deep detailed and THUMPING, literally, and the mids still have an enjoyable level of sibilance, and the soundstage and insrument seperation is wickedly there, and now shimmering highs that I've gotten to love,

and I'm using my Voyager and my ZO in my portable rig!! and hubba hubba hubba, lets just say I literally won't leave home without it, 
atsmile.gif
, happy listening to all!

anyways just my.04 worth

Sep 28, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #998 of 1,311
Quote:

hey FlySweep

I did similair with the large bi flange tips from my RE262's

I tried all the tips and none of them compares to Head-Directs large bi-flanges!! I got used to them along with my RE262's, and after I got the 600's I just switched them over to them!! KA-SWEET!! on a lark thats when I thought I'd try out the tips that came with the 600's, yuck no, yuck no, yuck no, and then to be fair I used the larger hybrids out on a walk to see if wearing them would help me to hear what everbody else was talking bout? let me tell you I couldn't wait to get home and swap the back to the H-D bi flanges, what  FREAKINGLY HUGE difference they make!!

Nicely done, sir!  I've never tried double flanges on the EX600 so your success certainly piqued my interest. I've got the RE0 double flanges, the M11+ tip kit, and the large double flanges from the GR07 still available, so I'll give those a whirl.. thanks.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,000 of 1,311
tanks, rumble rumble rumble, well they do, lol,

good luck with them, it was a process for me to get used to the larger tips, I started out by modding my first set, with the suggestion coming off an RE? thread, by cutting off the larger of the 2 flanges, which works fine with the 262's, and also helped those huge tips fit easier with the larger flange not being there, but in the case of the 600's it worked, but it was a little on the loose side, and so I had to keep reinserting them every so often, so I went ahead and bought the bi-flange set of 2 of them from Head-Direct for $15.00 shipped,

and now leaving them unmodded works ALOT better along with the 600's, they just needed that little extra bit to hold them snuggly into my ears, and along with that they also provided, a large % of better isolation!! and I think that because they wind up having a longer stem to them to accomidate the 2 flanges, the longer stem on them tends to REALLY help with opening up the sound that those 16mm drivers generate!! sort of like the tube that the the bose table top systems employs, lets te sound move around before coming out of the unit?
or something like that!!! anyways whatever it does, I'm REALLY liking it
atsmile.gif
!!

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,001 of 1,311
Hey all, I have been posting in this thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/569001/sony-mdr-ex600-vs-vsonic-gr07/45#post_7748029) but it seems like this one is a bit more active.  I have a couple posts about my first, not so positive, experiences with the EX600's on the other thread but I wanted to chime in again.  I have been listening to the EX600 off and on over the last three weeks but today is the first time I did a A/B comparison to the HF5's since I fist got the 600's.  All told with listening and being put on a noise generator I have about 200 hours of burn in on the 600's now and I have to say that there is a marked improvement on the 600's now when compared to the HF5's.  While I still love the HF5's for active wearing and noise isolation and really think they are a total bargain for $100 there is a noticeable difference in performance between them and the 600's.  The 600's sound stage has gotten even bigger sounding and, believe it or not, I think the highs on the 600's are now a bit smoother and less fatigueing then the HF5's.  The bass has come on nicely and over all the 600's are a bit more "musical" than the HF5's.... doing the A/B test with the HF5's and I am VERY glad I stuck with them and gave them some time.  Now I just have to find the perfect tips for these bad boys.

Cheers,
Jim

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #1,002 of 1,311
oh that thread, awe I know that thread, thats a lame thread, our thread is a much better thread, lol, yea right, jk, we have pot luck on thursdays, who's turn is it to bring the devils brew 
very_evil_smiley.gif
, lol,

well I hope you find something useful here, 

and yea I also was going to throw in the towel in the beggining with the 600's, but when these thing hit they were fantastic, but when they were off, whew! not good, but something whithin me kept telling me that there is hidden treasure and potential within these IEM's, but where oh where I asked and asked repeatedly, but then the voice in my head put me on hold, damn you voice in the head, and just when it was going to reveal to me the true secret of all happiness, and then, oh wait I have another consciousness coming in? wha? yea me to, oh well story of my life,

and that's when I put my 600's back on and I heard the answer 
tongue.gif
,  oh sorry time for a blue pill, lol,

but if you don't mind hurdles then stick wid em,  

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #1,003 of 1,311
For those with sibilance issues or those hearing a sharp upper midrange spike, it's pretty imperative to get a deep seat with these phones.  Let them burn a fair bit and get the right seat, the EX600 will amaze you with their sound.

With a deep seat, the mids flesh out and the treble remains every bit as detailed, while the edginess goes away.  The slightly cone-shaped GR07 tips (single flange) afford a deeper seat than the hybrids while sealing better.. the result is HEAVENLY sound.  To my ears, the midrange all the way through the treble is detailed, crisp, clear.. with just the right touch of touch of warmth & smoothness.  Bass is spectacular.. deep, punchy, robust.. and perfectly in weight and balance with the midrange and treble.

My original gripes with the EX600 was an uninspired bass response, thin (albeit, detailed) midrange, shouty upper mid, and splashy treble.  All of that.. ALL OF IT, is a thing of the past.  I'm really impressed with how much detail the midrange and treble can reveal without sounding forward or aggressive.. a true accomplishment for a phone in this price bracket.  I think Sony delivers on the promise of a "studio monitor" with the EX600's balanced, natural sound without any one frequency standing out in from of the others. I find these every bit as engaging as my beloved GR07 with a slightly different twist on the studio monitor sound.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,004 of 1,311

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDEROAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]
and yea I also was going to throw in the towel in the beggining with the 600's, but when these thing hit they were fantastic, but when they were off, whew! not good, but something whithin me kept telling me that there is hidden treasure and potential within these IEM's, but where oh where I asked and asked repeatedly, but then the voice in my head put me on hold, damn you voice in the head, and just when it was going to reveal to me the true secret of all happiness, and then, oh wait I have another consciousness coming in? wha? yea me to, oh well story of my life,

and that's when I put my 600's back on and I heard the answer 
tongue.gif
,  oh sorry time for a blue pill, lol,

I will give a pair of EX600's ot a monk in Thailand one day.

Oct 4, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #1,005 of 1,311
I don't know what to say about ex600:)
100 hours burning time and main source Cowon C2 (also pc-soundcard and Samsung music center for better amping).
Tips are Hybrids and sometimes Monster Foam.
Bass is very good, very punchy, good for quantity and quality, drums are natural, kicks are full bodied. Like IE8 but not so much. I think it is very good.
Mids are very good and i found them also to be similar to IE8. Good for details as for dynamic IEMs good space near each instrument, good separation.
Treble is not very good, not very detailed. It is not long and not very interesting, also like IE8.
Vocals are great!
Soundstage is very good on a powerful source. Very deep and wide, i like it.
Also they are very melodical:)

Ok. Monster foam make their sound little thin, but more detailed and controlled. Hybrids sounds more mild and more interesting, but you should put them very deep as you can. Without this you will have lot of sibilants and they wouldn't sound controlled.
On a cowon C2 i don't feel very good soundstage, i was trying lot of BBE presets and EQ and found some similar sound to a powerful source. Not bad, but powerful source  show you full potential for them.  Also EX600 loves Lossless. Even good 320 mp3 is not as good as .ape or .flac.

Sony 600 loves all kind of music, from easy classical music to hardest metall.
imo:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back