Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #962 of 1,311

i got a listen to the two most recommended jazz albums here. Coltrane's Blue Train and Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. They do sound great on the ex600. but i do hear some hiss on the recordings. lowering the volume helps a bit because i normally listen loud. sometimes the hiss sounds like constant hi-hats in the background. i guess that's how it is on some old jazz recordings.

Yes, old jazz recordings have that hiss in the high regions. Since the EX600 is slightly treble tilted, that hiss becomes more apparent. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #963 of 1,311
What would you guys say I can expect from these coming from the IEM I'm currently in love with, the Miles Davis? From reading, I'm expecting better clarity, detail, imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. Much less bass quantity, less forward mids, and more (potentially fatiguing) treble.

Sound about right?

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #964 of 1,311

What would you guys say I can expect from these coming from the IEM I'm currently in love with, the Miles Davis? From reading, I'm expecting better clarity, detail, imaging, instrument separation, and soundstage. Much less bass quantity, less forward mids, and more (potentially fatiguing) treble.

Sound about right?

you're completely correct. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #965 of 1,311
Alright so I almost bought the ex1000 when it was on sale for 300 and some dollars...but I didn't.  I did, however, buy another pair of ex600s because I did ruin my last pair in the wash.  Hopefully I can salvage the cable though, It'd be good to at least have a backup cable.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #968 of 1,311
Nice packaging. The case is classy but way too large. I'll probably use one of my extra Monster cases instead. Build seems great; very light as well. They look nicer in person than in pics.

Isolation is as poor as everyone's been saying. One of the noise-isolating tips came off in my ear. That sucked. Fit is difficult, I hope it gets easier. Haven't listened to them much yet, but they're sibilant in the upper mids so far. Right away I noticed the impressive soundstage. More bass than I expected.

Sep 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #969 of 1,311

beerchug.gif
, and Welcome to the club! Selenium

well I've been listening to my 600's for 2 months now, so they probably have around 350 hours of play time on them, and there is a big diference in the sibilant mids, from when I first started listening to them,

the sibilant harsh mids where almost a deal breaker for me at first, but tweaking my rig saved me from dumping them,

how my rig is set up to date:

classic iPod 7th gen (with the EQ. set on treble reducer)>solid silver LOD>Voyager amp (now with the contour switch on, in the beginning the countour switch added alot to the sibilant harsh mids, but now after about the 300 mark, for the hours of play time, the sibilant and harsh mids are now pretty much 98.5% eliminated?)>mini copper/gold plated 3.5>Digizoid ZO set on low>EX600's (now with Head-Directs unmodded large bi-flange tips!!! they provide me with an excellent fit, and they also greatly help with the isolation issue, and with the longer stem on the tip, it seems to help open up the sound with the large 16mm driver unit that it has!!)

anyways the 600's sibilance issue will improve over use, it will just take quite a few hundred hours of play time,

and so the most noticed significant difference for me, is with my Voyagers contour switch, at first I couldn't turn it on at all because it added so much more to the sibilance issue, YUCK!

but over the last week I've been noticing that with the contour switch on it has really been filling out the sound alot more, and without adding anything to the sibilant and harsh mids, that at first were almost a deal breaker for me, go figure,

and also I guess if there comes a day that I can reset the EQ's. treble ruduced setting, to off or something else, that will mark another level in the 600's mids improving even more still! we'll see, 

but I don't think sibilance is something that you can get acclimated too, and imagine away? if its there you will always notice it? and so in reusing my rigs settings that at first I couldn't, and now in using them and finding the sibilance and harshness not there! I can only be led to think that the sibilant and harsh mids of the EX600's are really mellowing out over alot of playtime? 

but you be the judge of that, and listen listen listen childrem for the ever so slight pain of the sibilant monster that lurks under all of our beds at night waiting for us to go to sleep and fill our ears with doubt, like I used to doubt that these godaweful sibilant IEM's were ever going to turn out to being such a star pupil, oops sorry I got carried away again, I just got done watching the movie, Where The Wild Things Are, lol  

like I've said before, the 600's sound for me right now is like having the combined fun bass of the TF10's, but in having the clearity and instrument seperation of the RE262's, and then a soundstage that is the combination of both of them added together, huge and full of placement,

it seems to have me so fully engaged when I'm out and about walking my dog in the parks around town, and so as far as any wind issue are concerned, its there but not any more so than when I had the TF10's, and with the music being ssooo engaging it hardly ever gets noticed, and I've been out when its really been windy!

anyways there's my .03 worth, and as Ripley used to say believe it or not! lol

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #970 of 1,311
Thanks! It's a bit disheartening that it takes so long to get rid of the sibilance in these...ah well. Obviously I don't have them burned-in very well yet since I just got them, but already classical sounds AMAZING on them!
basshead.gif
Holy crap

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #971 of 1,311
oh heck yes to that also! as long as no ss's come up, lol, and it was with those moments that helped make up my mind on sticking it out thru the hurdles, and when it wasn't having any sibilance issues, the 600 are simply marvelous, and with every bit of play time it will get even closer to having them shinning all the time! 
tongue.gif
  beautiful simply beautiful!

they will improve quickly initially, and as for me they are still doing so, ever more slightly, and the improvement is measured over the longer playtime periods, but I will hopefull at some time beable to not have to EQ. it with any kind of treble reducer settings? but I have to say that even then they are really enjoyable to use!

enjoy your listening! 
atsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #973 of 1,311
I'm hoping it mostly goes away with burn-in. It's already less offensive then it was fresh out of the box. I'm also getting some splashy highs. Even at these early stages though when everything goes right it sounds awesome.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #974 of 1,311
Well a big portion of the harshness and sibilance has already gone away, so that's good. Sounding pretty damn good already, making me curious about the EX1000.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #975 of 1,311

EX1000 isn't an EX600 on overdrive, the EX1000 just sounds different, more refined, different class of sound.

I haven't heard the EX800ST, but from what I can tell of the reviews, the EX800ST is closer to an EX600 on overdrive, so in my eyes that is the upgrade, not the EX1k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back