Sony MDR-EX600: Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #827 of 1,311
Well the EX600 is 32 ohm so the cable increases it from 32 to 107 ohm, which means it's harder to drive (you need higher volume) but it sounds a bit more relaxed, smoothed out and spacious. I'm using a fairly powerful DAP, it won't work from a mobile phone.

On some IEM's nothing will happen, or they'll just sound worse, on some they'll sound quite a bit better, if you have enough juice to pump them with. The RE252 sounded really good with an extra 75 ohm from a headphone amp, the Sony EX600 just sounds a tiny bit better, nothing special, mostly more relaxed which is nice for long listening sessions.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #828 of 1,311

Quote:
My question is why would you want to listen that loud anyway?  That's ear damaging volumes over time where that happens.

First, I think it's still about 30 dB short of an amplified rock concert and more in line w/ the levels you get at a live performance.  Sorry, but I've never been to any live performance performed at 65 dB.  I don't even know if you could even play most instruments at that level.  I don't listen to music like I'm at a concert w/ the knob turned down unless I need situational awareness.  

Second, most drivers IME don't perform best at low volumes plus the HRTF of your ear changes according to listening levels.  

Third, I think some folks who are extreme low level listeners probably rip their music at a higher gain because there is simply no way I believe the position of some people's pots produce ear piercing levels IME.  Their rips have to be louder.  Perhaps they use replay gain or some other processing unknown to them.  Ive never heard any amp w/ any phone sound too loud beyond listening levels at lowest settings.  That's just bizarre.  I consider that more user error than design error.  You'd have to be the worst amp designer ever to do that w/ the intent of losing money.  Makes no sense and doesn't match my experience.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #829 of 1,311
I don't know how loud most modern daps and amplifiers are capable of playing but at the point the EX1000 is able to produce spiking treble, the overall volume is way too loud and uncomfortable for me.  I have read that uncapped ipods can reach 120db (depending on earphone), which is rock concert levels and ear damaging for short periods.  For extended periods, I wouldn't even want to be at 90db's, which is probably the level many instruments play.  The key is the definition of extended periods, which I have read up to 8 hrs at 85db would be ok but I'm not about to find out, as we are constantly bombarded in regular life with loud db's from hair dryers, lawn mowers, traffic, etc.  But my point was, at normal listening volumes I do not hear treble spikes unless I push the volume above comfortable levels.

Aug 20, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #830 of 1,311

Quote:
I'm surprised there's not more people that find the EX600 harsh!

I'm listening to violin on high volume right now and I like it a lot but I thought quite a few people would find the emphasis spike top sibilant for their ears!

Sometimes on the high notes the strings really sound like glass.

harsh as all get out! I almost got rid of them because of it, well that and the sibilance UGH! but there were times when it wasn't being harsh or sibilant, and those were beautiful, so i knew the potential was there?

between setting my iPod EQ. to reduced treble, and when I want to kick it up a notch, I put the ZO into the equasion, so I can listen LOUD and proud!! I plan on dying deaf, lol, but I found a sweet spot that would make angels cry, no, in a good way, lol, and that pretty much took care of 95% of the mids issues, with just enough left over to be really enjoyable!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ericp10

x2 "I find The EX600 has smoothed out considerably for me though."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes they have, and still are smoothing out, if ever so slightly, and I probably have 500 hours on them!!  

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #831 of 1,311
Quote:
I don't know how loud most modern daps and amplifiers are capable of playing but at the point the EX1000 is able to produce spiking treble, the overall volume is way too loud and uncomfortable for me.  I have read that uncapped ipods can reach 120db (depending on earphone), which is rock concert levels and ear damaging for short periods.  For extended periods, I wouldn't even want to be at 90db's, which is probably the level many instruments play.  The key is the definition of extended periods, which I have read up to 8 hrs at 85db would be ok but I'm not about to find out, as we are constantly bombarded in regular life with loud db's from hair dryers, lawn mowers, traffic, etc.  But my point was, at normal listening volumes I do not hear treble spikes unless I push the volume above comfortable levels.

100% agree.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #832 of 1,311

Quote:
First, I think it's still about 30 dB short of an amplified rock concert and more in line w/ the levels you get at a live performance.  Sorry, but I've never been to any live performance performed at 65 dB.  I don't even know if you could even play most instruments at that level.  I don't listen to music like I'm at a concert w/ the knob turned down unless I need situational awareness.  

Second, most drivers IME don't perform best at low volumes plus the HRTF of your ear changes according to listening levels.

Third, I think some folks who are extreme low level listeners probably rip their music at a higher gain because there is simply no way I believe the position of some people's pots produce ear piercing levels IME.  Their rips have to be louder.  Perhaps they use replay gain or some other processing unknown to them.  Ive never heard any amp w/ any phone sound too loud beyond listening levels at lowest settings.  That's just bizarre.  I consider that more user error than design error.  You'd have to be the worst amp designer ever to do that w/ the intent of losing money.  Makes no sense and doesn't match my experience.

I have to agree with this, I think the maximum volume on any DAP I use is still lower than the volume levels at a live concert or a nightclub so I just don't the whole 50% and lower DAP volume thing.

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #833 of 1,311
Ok, cymbal crashes on the EX600 sound like a digital "shhh" sound to me.

Have to critique it somehow
tongue.gif

Decay is also rather short-lived, coming from the ER-4S and K2 SP which had excellent decay in highs and bass respectively, just nitpicking here, it's a highly enjoyable IEM, I think I'd be hesitant about shelling out for customs had I arrived at the EX600 a little earlier!

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #834 of 1,311

Quote:
Well the EX600 is 32 ohm so the cable increases it from 32 to 107 ohm, which means it's harder to drive (you need higher volume) but it sounds a bit more relaxed, smoothed out and spacious. I'm using a fairly powerful DAP, it won't work from a mobile phone.

On some IEM's nothing will happen, or they'll just sound worse, on some they'll sound quite a bit better, if you have enough juice to pump them with. The RE252 sounded really good with an extra 75 ohm from a headphone amp, the Sony EX600 just sounds a tiny bit better, nothing special, mostly more relaxed which is nice for long listening sessions.

Just for reference, where does "fairly powerful" stack up next to the cMoyBB?

Aug 21, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #836 of 1,311
i'm running my sony s-639 volume at 27/30 most of the time. i'm thinking about buying a ZO to decrease that volume on the player, and of course to make my rig more rawkin! :D

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #837 of 1,311
Just got my EX600s from amazon today (**** 2 weeks waiting time) and GOOD LORD! I can't go back to using my EX51s anymore...
eek.gif

The soundstage is noticeably HUGE. Bass is of MUCH higher quality like kiteki had mentioned to me before I had bought them. In some songs bass seems to be a bit more than my old 51s but in some others it seems to be less. But again, quality is the key difference. IT'S LIKE I CAN HEAR EVERYTHING!

As for the glaring highs, I think they're tolerable straight out of the box. Especially for most of the music I listen to. It does get pretty bad sometimes though, forcing me to turn down my volume. Can't wait till these things break in and I can blast them without fear of the high's punching through my ear drums!

The only thing with a similar sound signature I can compare this to are my 71s and 51s but they just sound so ******* CLEAR! Similar sound signatures, but with buffed mids, and then throw the whole **** thing through the best purifies you can find. These remind me of my brother's AKG702s (from memory) in terms of clarity, but the soundstage actually seems a tad wider and deeper! Also, bass hits right there where the AKGs seriously neuter.

Update: After 3 hours of burn-in they aren't nearly as harsh in the high's as they were when I pulled them from their box.
Also, with the right EQ my smartphone sounds like it got a HUGE upgrade!! Super happy with these! If only they were easier to pocket... I'm afraid if I shove them into my pocket I'll damage them :[ especially since they came with that really fancy case and all...

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #839 of 1,311
I'm looking for something to use while running and these seems to be the perfect choice due to their rugged appearance, low price and their lack of isolation which for safety reason is what I would prefer. But I also plan to use this along side my Ortofons so I'm looking for something with a different sound signature. Does the ex600 have more bass than my Ortofons?

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #840 of 1,311

Quote:
Just got my EX600s from amazon today (**** 2 weeks waiting time) and GOOD LORD! I can't go back to using my EX51s anymore...
eek.gif

The soundstage is noticeably HUGE. Bass is of MUCH higher quality like kiteki had mentioned to me before I had bought them. In some songs bass seems to be a bit more than my old 51s but in some others it seems to be less. But again, quality is the key difference. IT'S LIKE I CAN HEAR EVERYTHING!

As for the glaring highs, I think they're tolerable straight out of the box. Especially for most of the music I listen to. It does get pretty bad sometimes though, forcing me to turn down my volume. Can't wait till these things break in and I can blast them without fear of the high's punching through my ear drums!

The only thing with a similar sound signature I can compare this to are my 71s and 51s but they just sound so ******* CLEAR! Similar sound signatures, but with buffed mids, and then throw the whole **** thing through the best purifies you can find. These remind me of my brother's AKG702s (from memory) in terms of clarity, but the soundstage actually seems a tad wider and deeper! Also, bass hits right there where the AKGs seriously neuter.

Update: After 3 hours of burn-in they aren't nearly as harsh in the high's as they were when I pulled them from their box.
Also, with the right EQ my smartphone sounds like it got a HUGE upgrade!! Super happy with these! If only they were easier to pocket... I'm afraid if I shove them into my pocket I'll damage them :[ especially since they came with that really fancy case and all...

Congrats. Glad the EX600s are working out so well for you. Sony has definitely been making some great IEM's lately. Your enthusiasm and contentedness with purchase are what Head-fi is all about. Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back