Sony MDR-EX1000 and EX600: First Impressions
Dec 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #16 of 77

Quote:

Yes, over-ear design will have less microphonics, these models will come with several tips so you can achieve the best isolation/comfort.

EX800ST should be the best model for you, for studio use I can also recommend the ATH-CK10, very low microphonics, comfort, flat FR, high detail retrieval, dynamic range etc., the Sony's will sound more natural in timbre though so it's like a studio monitor versus a high-end natural speaker, it depends on if you're mastering recordings or creating music and selecting the best sounding instrument in a virtual database (for example).

Edit:  Oh, and for your needs, these are also a very popular choice, I haven't heard them, but I have to be objective and fair =p http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html

Hey thanks kiteki :) 

It was very interesting, and i didnt know about those Ety er4 and the ATH so i will check it out :) 
In fact i will not use those earphone in my studio but as iam indeed using studio monitors and headphone for work i would like to have earphones with a similar sound response (mostly flat) when listening music outside etc etc so i can keep my ears used to the same type of sound.
it would be cool also if the earphone respond well to EQ (from my cowon j3) to add a bit of bass some time to see how a mix sound on a more comon type of earphone... because of that the 16mm driver of the sony might be a good option... 

So ok with your advice i will focus on the Sony 800st and look at the Ety4. What do you think about the Shure Se535 ? i had the se530 for a short amout of time and i liked their sound, but fit was just a little bit inconfortable so i decided to send them back during the dirst week i had them to be able to get my money back... maybe it was a mistake, i donc know if i could have just got used to it overtime... since the SE535 seem a bit smaller i wonder if it will be more confortable... 
By the way i wonder how much different the sound of the EX1000 will be from the EX800 saddly not so many peoples have the 800 yet so without trying them its difficult to know... 

The most confotable earphone i used are the Sony i got with my Sony mp3 player sw846 they have mostly the same shape as the 800ex without the over the ear design and the driver is 13mm instead of 16, they are not studio earphone by any means (they have noise canceling system so it add a slight hiss all the time ) but they are very very confortable... saddly also they have probably the most Microphonic i have ever heard... :S 

thanks for all :)

PS: after a bit of reading the Ety seems to transmit easly microphonic noise by the cable so i will pass on that... 
still there is the Sony 800ex and the Shure...
The ety website was interesting as they explain that to compensate the fact that the earphone is inside the ears a gain around 2700hz is needed to get the same sound as a live or monitor response,,, 

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 77
Sony MDR-EX600

Disclaimer: This is solely only my impression, so please take this with a grain of salt. I hadn't exactly got myself the time to fully examine and listen these earphones (again).

MSRP: $299
Observed street price: $207
Impedance: 32 ohms at 1 kHz
Mass: Approximately 7g (the cord/code excluding)
Frequency Range: 4 - 28,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 107dB/mW
Max Input: 200mW

Design

The design is very similar to the EX-1000. Of course, it doesn't feel as sturdy because instead of a metal casing, we have a plastic, painted gunmetal, casing instead. Other than that however, everything else is an exact replicate. The wires are undetachable, but there are nice strain-relievers on the cables to ensure some form of protection. Cabling, from what I know, uses the same cables with the same design.

Isolation-wise, these perform exactly as the EX-1000. All in all, these look exactly and are worn exactly like the EX-1000. The only difference is the casing and that the cables are no longer detachable.

Sounds

Sound-wise, these are rather strange earphones. From what I experienced, the bass is alright. However, not very punchy or powerful. You just know it is there and that's it. This applies the same to the highs as well. The best thing about these earphones is most definitely the mids. It is nice and lively and it does the vocals wonderfully. However, there is a reason to why that's the case.

The worst thing for these earphones is most definitely the soundstage. The soundstage makes it sound like if you are hearing your music being performed in one long and narrow hallway. All the instruments are far in the back and the vocal is way at the front. Despite that these earphones do the bass and highs moderately, all of that is drowned out when the vocal comes into play.

Sound signature-wise, I'd probably say they are neutral and slightly on the warmer side. However, that could be due to the details sounding muffled and recessed whenever the vocal comes into play.

Overall Impression

I think what I just said summed it up. Basically, no matter how comfortable or durable these are, the soundstage is such a deal breaker.

Unless you actually like listening to your music coming from a long hallway. Or really prefer your vocals. They actually sound really nice. If everything else isn't so recessed whenever the vocal comes into play.

Even if they don't however, I am certain that these are only worth around $100US. While the vocal plays very nicely through these earphones, they still don't warrant a $200US price tag (much less on a $300US price tag).

EX-1000 vs. EX-600

Coming into this thread, I expect that you must have read my impressions in the EX-1000. If you did, you will know that there is actually no competition between these two earphones. The EX-1000 does everything at another level despite my seemingly harsh and slightly negative review. While EX-1000's dealbreaker is something redeemable due to its great performance as an all-rounder (disregarding how ridiculously expensive it is), the EX-600 has an absolutely unacceptable dealbreaker. I simply cannot imagine anyone wanting to buy the EX-600 due to the poor soundstage that the earphone provides. And that is a shame, because the vocal is beautiful (though still not as great as the EX-1000) and the instruments actually do have some form of life when the vocal is NOT in play (though by itself, it isn't good enough to compete at the $100US+ price range market).

It is easy to say "if only", but for the EX-600, the "if only" here has just solidly kicked EX-600 out of the market, in my opinion. Except for people that simply wants to hear the vocal in their tracks. Even then, I'd imagine there are quite a few solid choices out there in EX-600's competing price range ($200US - $300US). So, even if you do prefer the vocal or only listen to the instruments, there are far, far better choices out there.

All in all, if you have to pick between these two, please pay an extra $300 - 500 to get the EX-1000. There is simply no competition at all unfortunately.

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 77

Quote:
Hey thanks kiteki :) 

It was very interesting, and i didnt know about those Ety er4 and the ATH so i will check it out :) 
In fact i will not use those earphone in my studio but as iam indeed using studio monitors and headphone for work i would like to have earphones with a similar sound response (mostly flat) when listening music outside etc etc so i can keep my ears used to the same type of sound.
it would be cool also if the earphone respond well to EQ (from my cowon j3) to add a bit of bass some time to see how a mix sound on a more comon type of earphone... because of that the 16mm driver of the sony might be a good option... 

So ok with your advice i will focus on the Sony 800st and look at the Ety4. What do you think about the Shure Se535 ? i had the se530 for a short amout of time and i liked their sound, but fit was just a little bit inconfortable so i decided to send them back during the dirst week i had them to be able to get my money back... maybe it was a mistake, i donc know if i could have just got used to it overtime... since the SE535 seem a bit smaller i wonder if it will be more confortable... 
By the way i wonder how much different the sound of the EX1000 will be from the EX800 saddly not so many peoples have the 800 yet so without trying them its difficult to know... 

The most confotable earphone i used are the Sony i got with my Sony mp3 player sw846 they have mostly the same shape as the 800ex without the over the ear design and the driver is 13mm instead of 16, they are not studio earphone by any means (they have noise canceling system so it add a slight hiss all the time ) but they are very very confortable... saddly also they have probably the most Microphonic i have ever heard... :S 

thanks for all :)

PS: after a bit of reading the Ety seems to transmit easly microphonic noise by the cable so i will pass on that... 
still there is the Sony 800ex and the Shure...
The ety website was interesting as they explain that to compensate the fact that the earphone is inside the ears a gain around 2700hz is needed to get the same sound as a live or monitor response,,, 

Microphonic-wise, the EX600 and EX1000 are alright due to their cable design. However, with the SQ of EX600 being so poor (honestly horrible, horrible soundstage) and the EX1000 being so expensive, you might want to look else for your options unfortunately. You might want to stick with Shure for now, until the EX1000's pricetag comes down to sanity level.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #19 of 77

Quote:
Microphonic-wise, the EX600 and EX1000 are alright due to their cable design. However, with the SQ of EX600 being so poor (honestly horrible, horrible soundstage) and the EX1000 being so expensive, you might want to look else for your options unfortunately. You might want to stick with Shure for now, until the EX1000's pricetag comes down to sanity level.

Actually where iam (Japan) the sony EX1000 and the Shure SE535 are exactly at the same price (around 42000 yen), so i wonder what to do.... at first i was looking for the EX800 but seeing  what you said about the EX600 and the EX800 being just like 40$ more than the 600 iam worried that there will be no miracle and that they might have a similar soundstage... Also the EX800 Cable is removable so it might be the reason why it is 40$ more... maybe not because it sound better.... iam lost :p

On the other hand the SE 535 have so many good review and praise that at least sound quality wise i know what i would get... (i also used a se530 for some hours as i said and i liked it, just not so confortable... ).  difficult lol 

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 77
Hmmm, I personally have no experiences with the SE535 in order to make a suggestion. However, if the EX1000 and the SE535 are at the same price, I can tell you that the EX1000 are really nice earphones. Very, very good quality, a nice all arounder. The bass is so well controlled and fast, yet not overpowering the rest of the instruments. Treble is nice and crisp, and the mids are smooth. I do think that the EX1000 is actually a very capable competitor in that sort of price range.

I highly suggest you to take a look around at the SE535 impression thread to make a decision between these two earphones:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497285/shure-se535-reviews-and-first-impressions-thread

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #21 of 77
@MaxwellDemon: thanks for your interesting and impartial impressions!

Quote:
Actually where iam (Japan) the sony EX1000 and the Shure SE535 are exactly at the same price (around 42000 yen), so i wonder what to do.... at first i was looking for the EX800 but seeing  what you said about the EX600 and the EX800 being just like 40$ more than the 600 iam worried that there will be no miracle and that they might have a similar soundstage... Also the EX800 Cable is removable so it might be the reason why it is 40$ more... maybe not because it sound better.... iam lost :p

Have you considered the JVC/Victor FX700? They have excellent sound quality, a vast soundstage and an angled nozzle, so they're very comfortable both downwards and over-ear. Only weaknesses IMO are less than average isolation (would be the same with the EX1000, from what I've read) and a slightly shortish cable.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 77
Thanks for your impressions..an interesting read!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #23 of 77
I only hope that I wrote my first impressions nicely. I am glad to know that you guys are enjoying the read.
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #25 of 77
A small interesting update in regards to the market of EX1000...

From what I have found out, the two major audiophile-stores in Hong Kong have recently went out of stock with the EX1000.

I guess the street price wouldn't be dropping anytime soon.
blink.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 77
Must agree with OP, the bass of the EX1000s is punchy, powerful, strong, delicious, and very, very well controlled, one of the best from any of the IEMs that I've heard, but that's about it, the treble sounded harsh and grainy to me. Maybe they got damaged due to too many people trying them out? I wonder. For the same price, I think the MDR-Z1000s sounded great, no strong punchy bass like the EX1000s, but very well balanced sound all over. 
normal_smile .gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #27 of 77
I haven't tried the Z1000s, but I personally think the EX1000 has a well-rounded signature as well. With very powerful and nice bass on top. :p

I am writing the SE535 vs. EX1000 comparison soon, since I have recently gotten a chance to demo the SE535. Thought it'd be a good comparison, since those two are in the $400+ price range. Maybe I should throw the CK100 into it too.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #28 of 77
The Z1000s were right next to the EX1000s at Mingo, couldn't resist on trying them out. With the EX1000s, the first thing I noticed was the bass and how great it was and not much else, so I suspect they are a bit bass heavy. The Z1000s sounded bass light right after listening to the EX1000s, but after listening to them for a while, they seemed more balanced to me. Maybe you should included the Monster Turbine Pro Copper for comparison too, I just got a pair today, couldn't believe how good they are, beat all my other IEMs hands down, even right out of the box. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #29 of 77
I thought long and hard about writing a Copper vs. EX1000 comparison... and in the end, I think I'll just make a post about it (thinking of getting a Copper someday as well) instead of a full analyst post like the SE535 vs EX1000 will have. A part of me refuses to do it because of the price difference, but that's a really poor excuse since their comparison would really be interesting. Well, we will see how it goes. I gotta finish this SE535 vs EX1000 first.
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #30 of 77

Quote:

i disagree. ex600 doesnt have horrible sq and soundstage. have you burned them in properly? mine has around 100 hours now plus around 2 days of pink white brown noise loop being played and my pair sounds pretty good. the harsh treble is gone but can still be heard at high volume. mids are smooth and the lows are deep and tight without being boomy. soundstage is not bad at all. maybe you got a loose seal? compared to ie8, it loses in headstage and width but the depth is almost on par. id give it another try if i were you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back