Sony MDR-EX1000 and EX600: First Impressions
Dec 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #31 of 77
Considering that the EX600 and the EX1000 both have the same ergonomic design, I'd imagine that wearing them will be similar... since I had a good seal with the EX1000, I'd imagine I got a good seal with the EX600 too. Anyway, the vocal was too forward compared to the rest of the instruments.That's what the soundstage problem came up to me as. I didn't mention anything about harsh trebles either. I demo'd them, so I am pretty sure it is quite burnt in from everyone else that demo'd them.

I think you should also re-read my impressions. I didn't say the EX600 didn't sound good, I just thought it was such a shame that the vocals are so forward that it gives me the impression that everything else is recessed. However, when the vocals aren't present, I'd agree with you, the EX600 is an alright earphone. I can't imagine that there is a lot of people not listening to music without any sort of vocal injection though... which is why I refrained myself from recommending the EX600.

Edit: I thought I should note that I am happy that you are happy with your purchase. Maybe our ears are different. Maybe our sources are different. However, I do appreciate (almost to the point of NEEDING) to hear the background of the music relatively well. So, this might have affected my impression (and disappointment) with the EX600 not bringing the background forward as well as it did with the vocals.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #32 of 77
actually an impression from demoing one earphone compared to owning it is totally different. a lot of factors should be taken into consideration. like background noise, source, what type of file, and most importantly focus. say, once your listening in the public its different compared to being alone at home and listening. there are no distractions and thats when you truly realize the kind of sound the earphone produces. at first i also felt dissappointed but they grew on me day by day. even told myself i was crazy to spend this kind of money for this performance? after a long burn in which im sure is not only mentally but also the drivers loosening up itself, im beginning to see my moneys worth. point is owning it and demoing it in public will definitely give you two different impressions. that said i might be purchasing the flagship to see how it stacks up to the ex600

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #33 of 77

Quote:
actually an impression from demoing one earphone compared to owning it is totally different. a lot of factors should be taken into consideration. like background noise, source, what type of file, and most importantly focus. say, once your listening in the public its different compared to being alone at home and listening. there are no distractions and thats when you truly realize the kind of sound the earphone produces. at first i also felt dissappointed but they grew on me day by day. even told myself i was crazy to spend this kind of money for this performance? after a long burn in which im sure is not only mentally but also the drivers loosening up itself, im beginning to see my moneys worth. point is owning it and demoing it in public will definitely give you two different impressions. that said i might be purchasing the flagship to see how it stacks up to the ex600

That's why it is called an impression, not a review.
rolleyes.gif

The place I demo'd is quite alright... I didn't find much distraction and found a place to sit with them in peace and listen to a 29 minutes long FLAC music file (X-Japan's Art of Life, if you are interested). Maybe the demo was bonkered, I don't know. Just wrote what my impression was since Head-Fi seems to be looking for someone that can say something about these two Sony IEMs.

Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying your earphones, it'll be good to see the EX1000 from another Head-Fier's perspective. I also thought about purchasing the EX1000 just so I can review them better... but the price is really holding me off. I'll probably get other earphones first before these at the rate the EX1000 are going.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #34 of 77
still an impression is different when your alone 
normal_smile .gif
  yes im waiting for the price to drop to around $400 maximum.  that so called magnesium housing and liquid crystal polymer seems to be interesting but until then ill be sitting on the sideline

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #35 of 77
I am currently an owner of the sony ex700 ...is the ex1000 worth the upgrade? I am more concern about the sound quality and the $$$... or should i spend a little more and just get a Custom IEM?

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #36 of 77
I think the EX1000 has a very different sound signature from the EX700, considering that the EX1000's forte is its bass. If you are coming from the EX700, you might actually feel something missing is from the EX1000's sound signature. However, if you feel the EX700 is lacking in bass, then the EX1000 might be a good upgrade...

On the $$$ level though, it is still quite expensive (unless you can get them at around $400~) and despite of having one of the best bass I have ever heard, I don't think the EX1000 warrants that price as an upgrade. This is exceptionally the case if you like the EX700's sound signature. So, naturally, I'd vote for you to go for an entry-level custom.

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 77
Does anybody know more about the MDR-EX800ST or has listened to them?From what I understand they get very good reviews in Japan while they cost much less than the MDR-EX1000. What are their major diffeneces?
How does it come that you can already buy them on the amazon.jp homepage while they are not mentioned on the sony.jp-Homepage?

Cheers 

hanes

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #38 of 77
Unfortunately, I could only get my hands onto the EX1000 and the EX600... and various Sony EX series earphones. However, I am unable to get the EX800ST, so I wouldn't be able to make a comment to your question (or do a proper comparison). I hope someone will one day though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #40 of 77

Quote:
The ex-1000 is better than Sm3 ?

I have not heard of the SM3... but I am pretty sure that not only the SM3 has a drastically different sound signature, but it is probably in a different league technically as well. Having heard more earphones after I have with the EX1000 revealed to me that there is probably a few more things that the EX1000 could do better (a lot better) for its price point.

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #41 of 77

Quote:

On a recent trip in Hong Kong I had the opportunity to compare the EX-1000 with the SM3. For me, the EX-1000 repeated the same mistake Sony made with the EX-700 - hot, spitty and sibilant treble. I'm a bit sensitive to that kind of thing, and considering the price it was unacceptable to me. Other then that it was a refined, clear sound with good comfort. 

I much preferred the SM3, but I guess some people would still like the EX1000.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

On a recent trip in Hong Kong I had the opportunity to compare the EX-1000 with the SM3. For me, the EX-1000 repeated the same mistake Sony made with the EX-700 - hot, spitty and sibilant treble. I'm a bit sensitive to that kind of thing, and considering the price it was unacceptable to me. Other then that it was a refined, clear sound with good comfort. 

I agree with the treble. Probably the worst aspect of the EX1000 in its spectrum. However, I still do think that the bass was one of the best I have ever heard. It fits my taste. But I really need my headphones to have a good sparkle, not just any sparkles unfortunately.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #43 of 77
Hello all, I have picked up a pair of the studio monitor professional MDR-EX800ST and it sounds good, very good. I have the SM3 and also tried the Westone W4 a couple days ago and it compares well with these other top tier in-ear headphones, its better than the Radius DDM HP-TWF11 that I have and I like it more than the JVC HA-FX700 due to a more balanced signature.

I just got these yesterday and they are still burning in, I picked them up due to all the positive reviews in Japanese. They still have a slight bit of treble harshness but the reviews say it settles down after a couple hundred hours.

One thing is for sure is that it doesn't like low bit-rate music and is source dependent.

I will post more once I put more mileage on them
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #44 of 77
As from my experience, they have different sound signatures (SM3 vs EX1000)...EX1000 is a dynamic driver-type, like the JVC FX700s. The EX1000 dynamics is better than the SM3s, but not on the FX700s. And I really liked the FX700s more in terms of dynamics.

For the treble, unlike the FX700s which is slightly sibilant, the EX1000 are smoothing for me (also comparing to CK10/DBA-02). Also one thing I like with dynamic driver type top-tier iems like EX1000 and FX700 is the bass extension and reverb. I think they are almost speaker-like, but they came for a price...speed, details, clarity that multi-armature offers nowadays like SM3, W4, DBA-02 and CK10. Soundstage also is better than the SM3 or W4. But in overall SQ, dynamic-iems can hold their own SQ compared to the BAs.

So IMO if you're into live recordings, jazz music, or some rock-type genre, maybe the EX1000 is best for you. Some mixes, or electronica, hip-hop, some pop maybe better for multi-balanced amartures like SM3/W4/DBA-02/CK10 (though the sound sigs are also different). For me, all iems goes well if you enjoy your music.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with the treble. Probably the worst aspect of the EX1000 in its spectrum. However, I still do think that the bass was one of the best I have ever heard. It fits my taste. But I really need my headphones to have a good sparkle, not just any sparkles unfortunately.

May 26, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #45 of 77
Hey guys just an update, when I was overseas I bought some shure olives tips and also some Comply tips from a store at LAX airport, and then I decored the Olives when I was on the plane and put them on my EX700 and now the Sony MDR-EX700 with decored Shure Olives is my IEM of choice!

The CK10 still has better imaging, a more even presentation, and makes low quality music sound much better, for example, I have a drum n bass album in MP3 92kbps and it sounds fine on the CK10, but it sounds pretty bad on the EX700.

I know this is the EX600 and EX1000 thread but I thought I'd mention my EX700 cousin anyway, if the nozzle is the same perhaps the newer models would benefit from a Shure Olive mod as well? it doesn't fit like a glove on the EX700 but it's pretty close, I mean don't pull them out of your ear really fast or the shure olive tip could come off or something.

Listening to live music on these, like "Nirvana - Unplugged in New York 1991.flac", I feel pretty satisfied and can't imagine I'd need much higher portable sound quality than this, the acoustics are so exact! so dynamic! blissful! They're really a step ahead of the CK10 on this album and similiar live recordings.

There's little mention of them on head-fi, I think they're pretty underrated, I know most people have had issues with the harshness or sibilance, perhaps the Shure Olive mod solved this, not sure, if someone wants to link me some "harsh music" on youtube I'll do a direct comparison of the Shure Olives and Sony Hybrid tips. =]

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back