Sony MDR-CD3000 repair
Jan 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dcrane

Head-Fier
I need to get my headphones repaired. They are the CD3000 and are a bit old.
The cable has become loose causing the sound to go in and out.
Also, the ear pads are disintegrating. I don't know if there are any more ear pads around.
These cans have been discontinued. Will Sony be able to fix these up?
Is there somebody else that will repair them? Are there any ear pads still available?
These headphones have seen a lot of use and I would like to keep them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 12
If it's just a loose cable that needs resoldering Sony can fix the problem or anyone here that's skillful in DIY maybe able to help you. As for the ear pads you're out of luck as Sony no longer makes them or has them in stock. Nobody makes replacement ear pads for the CD3K.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 12
I did pm them with a pad replacement currently available on ebay, just in case anyone else is on the lookout for pads. Only the one listing. As far as how they compare to stock I haven't a clue.

They were listed as  :

Replacement earpad For Sony MDR-CD1000 MDR-CD30000 earpads Black earbuds

but looks like they are all sold or the seller is away the listing is down.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 12
Can you post the ebay link as the listing doesn't show up. There was a regular seller on ebay that use to sell replacement CD3K ear pads but the seller no longer has them in stock and doesn't seem like he will have them in stock anymore. From what I've read here from those that purchased those ear pads on ebay is that they're a cheap imitation of the real McCoy. They're still as comfortable as the originals and doesn't alter the sound signature any, workmanship is decent just that it lacks in softness as the ebay pads are a bit more stiff.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 12
I've heard the price for spare parts of the 3000's is pretty expensive. (if you can find them)

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
I bought a pair from this source:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130642124191&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

What a great find. 

Cheers,

Sep 7, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 12
This is a long shot but I'm going to unbury this thread and ask if someone knows where I can get replacement/repair for the MDR-CD3000 headbands.

The pads are not a problem as there are many available in the market even now. But the headband is nowhere to be seen. I'm thinking about maybe buying real leather and getting someone to replace the original pleather. Any suggestions?

I bought my CD3000 14 years ago and they have been awesome. The pleather is disintegrating but other than that, they're still a reference... need to keep them :D

Sep 7, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 12
You just missed the thread on the very subject a few pages down. Coincidentally I'm looking to get the same done and contacted about 10 guys/companies of which a few responded and who may be up for it. Forget about finding a NOS replacement. Chances are close to zero I think but if you're handy check the guide in this link.

Let us know how you get on.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 12
  You just missed the thread on the very subject a few pages down. Coincidentally I'm looking to get the same done and contacted about 10 guys/companies of which a few responded and who may be up for it. Forget about finding a NOS replacement. Chances are close to zero I think but if you're handy check the guide in this link.

Let us know how you get on.

Oooh, I had no idea the 3K were still that loved around here.
I did miss those threads, thanks for the heads up, I'll share my solution when I get to it.

I love these headphones so any real leather mods/fixes to improve them would be great.
Too bad Sony used pleather instead of that sacred lambskin they put on the MDR-R1...

Mar 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 12
I also got the same issue as OP I believe? It was indead the cable getting loose?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back