Sony MDR-7510
Sep 16, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 21
Lol, thanks, I've searched long and hard for any information about the 7510 but can't really find any meaty reviews. Can you do me a favor and link me to the page? thanks.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Just posting a review for anyone who is interested. The biggest differences between the new 7510 and the old classic 7506 are the ear pads and the overall comfort of the headphoens. The differences are huge! I cannot understate the quality difference between the two. The new 7510's have leather earpads (fake leather i think but still really really soft ) as opposed to the 7506 fake disgusting pleather earpads. The ear cups have plastic feel to them but who cares. The 7510 don't fold up like the MDR-V6/7506 and dont have any metal hinges but that does not really bother me. With that said i think they spent all the money on the earpads and audio drivers. I am really impressed with the new 7510s. In my opinion Sony has really hit the mark with these new earpads and new design.

As for the sound, the new 7510 have bigger 50mm drivers as opposed to the 7506 40mm drivers. I've only had them for a couple of days but the sound is really good. The sony 7510's also have angled drivers which helps with listening fatigue. Overall I really like the new design and I'm really happy with the materials used and the overall look and feel of the headphones. I went from 7506 --> hd650 --->7510.

Feb 20, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:
Thanks for the review.  It's still difficult to find 7510 reviews.

True, there are very few if any reviews out there.

But I can do a brief one for you, having bought 7510's about a week or two after their release.

Very comfortable as mentioned above.
Light in weight and cushioned in all the right places.

Sound: good bass, reasonably good midrange, soft rolled off high end.
Too soft for my taste because I feel I'm losing detail.
Ultimately, after several months, I put them away in storage.
I like the 7506's more, without any doubt in my mind.
With all of their well known quirks and faults, they're just a better listening experience.

Just last night in fact I listened to my 7506's after a month or so, and like always after not
having listened to them for a while, I found the SQ remarkably good. 

I want to sell my 7510's, because I've since bought the MDR Z1000's.
Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 21
I bought a pair of 7510s off B&H a couple of months ago, I had intended to use them for work (le radio dispatch), but they didn't work out so well because they were too isolating in an environment where supreme voice clarity must be combined with still being able to listen to constant ambient conversations in the room, at this point I'm not really sure why I didn't opt for some form of open backs, but the 7510s were very reasonably priced and I had an eye out for their efficiency, in any case, when they didn't work out I ended up appropriating my old 7506s from my fiance because with having old worn out ear pads they lost a lot of their sound isolation, she has held on to the 7510s ever since and really likes them, I haven't had much of a chance to properly evaluate them due to not having an amp with low enough output ohm, I have an O2 on the way as I write this so I'll be looking forward to seeing how they perform

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 21
How's the durability so far with the MDR 7510 professional?
I hear/read that its close cousin the ZX-700 (discontinued as seen on sony website) has durability issues with the internal cabling.

I wonder if buying the pro version 7510 will give me better cabling internal durability and beefier cables.  I also  wonder if the 7510 left/right channel is grounded separately just like the MDR 7506.

I've yet to hear the 7510s... but my impression with the ZX-700 I demo-ed in Sony store is that the zx700 sounded 'clean', smooth mids and (to me) sounded like the AKG k271 un-amped (AKG k271... loved them but I sold them years ago for UE Triple fi 10 in-ears) but with slightly reduced soundstage.  I'm thinking about getting back to general purpose 'beater' headphones so I don't overuse my UE Triple fi 10 iem, and I believe the 7510 (hopefully with better durability) will be the way to get back the AKG k271 sound but in a smaller package so I can easily shove it in my bag without it bulging.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
How's the durability so far with the MDR 7510 professional?
I hear/read that its close cousin the ZX-700 (discontinued as seen on sony website) has durability issues with the internal cabling.

I wonder if buying the pro version 7510 will give me better cabling internal durability and beefier cables.  I also  wonder if the 7510 left/right channel is grounded separately just like the MDR 7506.

I've yet to hear the 7510s... but my impression with the ZX-700 I demo-ed in Sony store is that the zx700 sounded 'clean', smooth mids and (to me) sounded like the AKG k271 un-amped (AKG k271... loved them but I sold them years ago for UE Triple fi 10 in-ears) but with slightly reduced soundstage.  I'm thinking about getting back to general purpose 'beater' headphones so I don't overuse my UE Triple fi 10 iem, and I believe the 7510 (hopefully with better durability) will be the way to get back the AKG k271 sound but in a smaller package so I can easily shove it in my bag without it bulging.

She uses them for hours on end, on a daily basis, with zero issues here to now.  I find the build quality appreciable and nothing about it is exactly concerning to me.  The headband is plasic, so I'm not sure they'll be around 14 years later like my 7506s, but who knows. I have assumed they could be an individual ground configuration of the zx700 as well, though I haven't actually confirmed that to be true.  I can't speak as to any comparison with the AKGs, though compared to the 7506 I would say they have slightly better bass, and more of it, but the mids aren't as nice.  As an overall I prefer the 7506, and that being said after replacing the earpads with sheepskin versions from B&H.  She still prefers the 7510s, so ymmv.. re:size ; they dont fold up in any manner so they are'nt the most compact cans, they come with a cloth pouch similar to velour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back