Sony MDR-7506
Sep 18, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #166 of 184
That only your own ears can tell you.
They have been my office choice since a long time, and they get 80% of usage time at home as well.
On top of that, it is my preferred airplane HP. I wear them for the 10+h trans-oceanic flights with no signs of fatigue.
If you like to read something, here it is:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

But you should really listen with your own ears, and put little trust on what other people thinks.

Yay nice sunday read. Thanks! I think i'll just get one and sell later if i dont like it. At this price range i dont think its that hard to sell.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #169 of 184
Just found this thread. I work in a studio and we have a dozen of these headphones. We love them and hate them simultaneously because if you amp it good and the recording is wonderful we want to take it home.

Anything less impressive and we feel like were being skull*****ed! hahahaha!

It's like the Yamha NS10 of headphones; It's indispensible for monitoring. 

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #170 of 184
Just tried modding my 7506s to put much larger more comfy pads on them. I ended up undoing it because i couldnt manage getting the highs smooth enough even with 5 layers of padding on each side.

The pads are the velours that came with my kennerton magisters, though some velour hm5 pads would likely be very similar. Its velour everywhere except on the inside where its padded with leather.
I first put nothing but the pads on and the treble was so sharp that it hurt even at moderate volumes. After an hour of putting all i got into it there were five layers of padding on each side. Some thick padding behind the drivers, two layers of semi thick earpad cloth behind the pad, and two thin layers of acoustic padding inside the pad.
This made it manageable, but still a bit fatiguing after a half hour or so of acoustic music. Ss and Ts were still pretty sharp aswel. The bass was lacking but a small boost made up for it.
I ended up un-doing it after a couple hours of listening because the increased comfort was not worth the loss in quality, and features that make the 7506 so special, but when those pads were still on it the comfort was godly.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #172 of 184
This should teach how pointless it is to ask other people opinions on HPs.
To me, the wearing the 7506 for hours is like wearing "airphones" ... they are that comfortable - with NO mods.
The only HP that I have found on par (if not superior - for what it's possible), on the comfort domain, is the Philips SHP9500.

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #173 of 184
I have owned the Sony MDR-V6 for awhile now.. it is funny how good of a headphone it is for the $60~ish it cost (well cost my brother..as it was a xmas gift)..

I prefer the sound sig of the V6 slightly to the 7506 due to my preferring the mids on the v6.. but both are great headphones.. so light on you head so rugged... if Sony would make a detachable cable version my mind would explode from how awesome it was..

For a headphone design that is more than 30 years old it is amazing at how right Sony got it...   if wish sony would make a removable cable version or even a straight 5ft cable version ..

My V6's with my 1989 Sony TA-N77ES / TA-E77ESD ..etc stack..

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #174 of 184
A detachable cable would be sweet indeed, but I doubt it is going to happen.
Sony considers those studio/field HPs, for which the give up offered by the coiled cable can save the day, had one make a one-too-long movement.

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #175 of 184
The size adjustments on the left and right side of my MDR-V6 keep their sizing very well. For instance, I have it on the "5" notch and it stays there pretty much the entire time. On my 7506 the left side stays the same very well. The right side, however, keeps sliding down to a smaller size. I'm not sure how the mechanism works. Is there an adjustment I can make to make the right side stay at their size?

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #176 of 184
I made a discovery. Replacing the pads with the Brainwavez perforated pads for this headphone does three things.

It smoothes out the audible peaks in the treble.
It improves transient response and clarity throughout the frequency range from top to bottom.
And it is a far more comfortable pad with the memory foam and breathability of the pad.

I used to not like this headphone very much. With this pad change, it is now my favorite headphone under $150

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #177 of 184
Are people using these without amps and plugged directly into portable devices?

I recently got a pair and started by playing music through the headphone dongle on my iPhone 12 mini. The bass was nuts -- throbbing and painful to the ears. Like someone was driving past my home in a car with an aftermarket subwoofer dialed up to 11. I wondered if something was wrong with them. Very similar sound when I tried my laptops.

Then I plugged them into my 20-year-old Sony AVR and the difference was night and day. I felt like the bass was dialed in perfectly here.

A lot of the reviews online say these are good for portable devices, which surprises me. At 63 ohms, is it too much for them? Do these headphones that take some time to break in? I don't have a problem with doing my wired listening out of my AVR so maybe it's not a big deal.

Sep 8, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #178 of 184
They do improve with listening hours but not by a lot, in my experience, but I will say that the synergy isn’t great with the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle.

BUT, I absolutely love them with the JSAUX adapter! It’s like $14 on Amazon. Braided cable. Comes in colors.

I mostly use these with my Korg Triton Extreme Keyboard, though, to be honest. Not so much for music listening. But I do find them very enjoyable with the JSAUX adapter, straight out of my iPhone Xs.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #179 of 184
They do improve with listening hours but not by a lot, in my experience, but I will say that the synergy isn’t great with the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm dongle.

BUT, I absolutely love them with the JSAUX adapter! It’s like $14 on Amazon. Braided cable. Comes in colors.

I mostly use these with my Korg Triton Extreme Keyboard, though, to be honest. Not so much for music listening. But I do find them very enjoyable with the JSAUX adapter, straight out of my iPhone Xs.
Thanks! Is this what you're talking about? https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Lightning-Headphone-Certified-Compatible/dp/B086D42KGP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back