Sony MDR-7506 and MDR-CD900ST
Apr 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
A couple of questions regarding these Sony headphones:
  • Is there actually any known difference between the MDR-7506 and the much more common MDR-V6? The information I'm able to find on the Internet seems pretty unreliable, and mostly written by people who report not having listened to either model.
  • Regarding he MDR-CD900ST, the model available primarily/almost exclusively in Japan, and available on Audiocubes, is it in some significant way different or better than the MDR-7506? It costs about twice as much (actually about three times more than the V6), so I really would like to know.

I haven't heard any of these models, and have never owned Sony headphones, but these seem as though they might be a nice alternative to the more spendy beyerdynamic DT 250-80/250 headphones. With beyer pads, they sure seem like they would feel the same, which I definitely consider a positive thing. But what about the sound?

May 20, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 30
The only difference between the Sony 7506 and the V6 is a gold plug. The Beyer cushion mod turns either into one of the better closed phones you can buy. B&H Photo offers the Beyer cushions as a recommended accessory for the V6/7506.

I don't know anything about the CD900's.

May 20, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 30
I always thought the CD900ST was the same as 7506/V6 but with a straight (non-coiled) cord and a 1/4" plug.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

I always thought the CD900ST was the same as 7506/V6 but with a straight (non-coiled) cord and a 1/4" plug.

Absolutely not. The CD900ST is a completely different headphone. It looks similar, superficially, but not even the frame parts, or even the pads are the same as the 7506/V6.

-Chris

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 30
I think the CD900ST are closer to the V7's.
V7's are older than the V6's (if you can believe it) and have a brighter sound signature. Also, they do NOT fold and indeed have a straight cable.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of questions regarding these Sony headphones:
  1. Is there actually any known difference between the MDR-7506 and the much more common MDR-V6? The information I'm able to find on the Internet seems pretty unreliable, and mostly written by people who report not having listened to either model.

1. No difference. Even the part numbers are the same, except for the cord and cosmetic outer can covers(with the model numbers on them).

Quote:

Regarding he MDR-CD900ST, the model available primarily/almost exclusively in Japan, and available on Audiocubes, is it in some significant way different or better than the MDR-7506? It costs about twice as much (actually about three times more than the V6), so I really would like to know.

It is a far superior headphone, IMO. In fact, the CD900ST seems to be one of the top natural sounding headphones, tonally, for acoustic/non-amplified music that I have ever used, regardless of price(I'm comparing to anything available, such as HE90, Omega II, etc.), based on my experiences with live non-amplified music. However, it may be disappointing for many music styles, as it has a slightly greater treble roll off than many would like.

Quote:

I haven't heard any of these models, and have never owned Sony headphones, but these seem as though they might be a nice alternative to the more spendy beyerdynamic DT 250-80/250 headphones. With beyer pads, they sure seem like they would feel the same, which I definitely consider a positive thing. But what about the sound?

The Beyer pad seems to destroy the sound quality of the CD900ST. The Sony CD900ST pad is very shallow, with the driver very close to the ear opening. The Beyer velour pad is deep in comparison, causing what I perceived as severe tonal balance issues.

Chris

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the CD900ST are closer to the V7's.
V7's are older than the V6's (if you can believe it) and have a brighter sound signature. Also, they do NOT fold and indeed have a straight cable.

The CD900ST has what would probably be considered anti-bright sound. In fact, even to someone whom likes the product(such as myself), the treble seems too rolled off. If the V7 does in fact have elevated relative treble compared to the V6, then it does not seem likely that it is exactly the same as the CD900ST.

Chris

Oct 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 30
As a professional record producer (classical music) I have been working with the MDR-CD900ST for many years. They are simply the most accurate, most naturally sounding headphones I know. In a way they remind me of the sound of my Quad Electrostats that I use for monitoring my recordings. These headphones are really excellent. Who says they are dull!? On the contrary, they have just the right amount of bright sound without being shrill.

The news: They do sound quite different to other Sony models. We have made many (blind) tests with similar models from Sony, The clear winner is always the CD900ST.
I first got the recommendation from a recording engineer from the Japanese Broadcast Corporation in Tokyo, where everyone uses this model. I am glad for the recommendation! Now many of my colleagues and students are picking them up whenever someone goes to Japan.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 30
Interesting thread. A couple of observations:

1. I recently bought a pair of V6s and found the sound somewhat brighter and with a deeper upper bass/low mid suck-out than the 7506 (from the 1980s) I used until 5-6 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony uses updated drivers (cheaper than keeping an old driver of small quantities in production for 20-30 years). Compare with the example below.

2. The CD-900ST is an updated version of the CD-900 which also corresponded to the V7 which I have. These early versions had sapphire evaporated drivers (felt mod is my own):

As you know Sony has always experimented with diaphragm material, from coats of pallatium (a platinum relative) to sapphire and diamond evaporated units and bio-cellulose material.

The CD-900ST, though, seems to have a mylar diaphragm (just a guess), maybe similar to the 80 kHz HD units or even the 100 kHz "nano-composite" units used in the SA series from 2004 [Edit: even though these are 50 mm, 70 ohm drivers]. I copied this pic from a Japanese website that sells the CD-900ST unit as a spare part:

It is also often pointed out that the CD-900ST is not manufactured by Sony Consumer Electronics but by Sony Music Entertainment in Japan, a record company.

I still enjoy listening to the V7 every now and then: deep and thunderous bass, thin midrange and sometimes shrill highs - but great fun to listen to! The new V6 has a similar sound signature but not at all so extreme.

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 30
I've also got a V7 and right now they are equipped with the DT250 pads from beyerdynamic. Could you tell me whether I should try and get the normal pads or if the sometimes rather shrill sound is normal?

Edit: The driver in my V7 looks like the one in the first picture without the white felt
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 30
Your post confirms what I've been hearing with my V6's. Somewhat boosted upper mids and that very noticeable upper bass/low mid 'suck-out', as you call it. Surprisingly, the new frequency response graph on headroom looks much flatter than what I'm hearing. I wonder if the more recent 7506's also suffer from these same issues...since the drivers are the same. I wonder where the 7509HD fits into the picture. I'm dying to try the cd900st...anyone who has a set they want to part with, shoot me a PM!

Quote:
Interesting thread. A couple of observations:

1. I recently bought a pair of V6s and found the sound somewhat brighter and with a deeper upper bass/low mid suck-out than the 7506 (from the 1980s) I used until 5-6 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony uses updated drivers (cheaper than keeping an old driver of small quantities in production for 20-30 years). Compare with the example below.

2. The CD-900ST is an updated version of the CD-900 which also corresponded to the V7 which I have. These early versions had sapphire evaporated drivers (felt mod is my own):

As you know Sony has always experimented with diaphragm material, from coats of pallatium (a platinum relative) to sapphire and diamond evaporated units and bio-cellulose material.

The CD-900ST, though, seems to have a mylar diaphragm (just a guess), maybe similar to the 80 kHz HD units or even the 100 kHz "nano-composite" units used in the SA series from 2004 [Edit: even though these are 50 mm, 70 ohm drivers]. I copied this pic from a Japanese website that sells the CD-900ST unit as a spare part:

It is also often pointed out that the CD-900ST is not manufactured by Sony Consumer Electronics but by Sony Music Entertainment in Japan, a record company.

I still enjoy listening to the V7 every now and then: deep and thunderous bass, thin midrange and sometimes shrill highs - but great fun to listen to! The new V6 has a similar sound signature but not at all so extreme.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 30
My intention with the central felt pad was to dampen high frequency shrillness. I'm not sure it did much good. The original polyurethane (soft) ring around the driver had turned into a flat, sticky goo, and I cut the felt ring to replace it. I think this ring is a vital part of the construction, as a sort of filter between front and back radiation. When I put it in place, bass also increased substantially - it is thrilling, but really too much!

As the aged headband pad was in a miserable condition (severely flaking) and the long cord only had a 1/4 inch plug, I decided to find substitutes. Sony spare parts are as scarce as hen's teeth in Europe, and if available, prohibitively expensive. Instead I bought a t.bone HD-880 headphone from Thomann (€25) and used that headband and cable for my V7. Pads are the Beyer DT250 velvet replacements. I'm very happy with the results.

The V7 is a strange animal - too much bass, laidback lower midrange, shrill highs. But boy it's fun to listen to every now and then!

It can do a few things that escape other headphones, dissecting music like a razor. Which can sometimes be painful, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back