Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Sep 15, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #2,161 of 2,667

Everyone's reference points are indeed different. I thought I would like the 1A coming from the Beyer sound, but even compared to my DT-990s I thought the 1A bass was not great -- a bit bloated and undefined. Granted, I was not using my usual DAC, which might have improved the Sonys, but I doubt it would have performed miracles.  

Agree, no DAC or amp would improve the bass that much with the MDR-1A, and if one did it would be a miracle indeed.  I also have a DT-990 premium, with a BH Crack they are quite nice but quite a different sound signature from the 1A.

I had same problem, the 1R trebble could not be tamed by any DAC only a fiio x3 could somehow tame it, ended elling them ut got a ****ery, the dude said didnt like the product i sold and he sent me back a rock (**** ebay) anyways i never loved them

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,163 of 2,667
Hey guys, I've been looking for some comfortable headphones and I had high hopes for the MDR-1A, but I read a couple of posts saying that the pads might cover some part of your ears. Are there any replacement pads that can fix this, particularly velour ones?

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,164 of 2,667
As long as you have small to average sized ears, there shouldn't be a problem.  And the 1A's are one of the most comfortable headphones you can buy.
beyersmile.png

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #2,165 of 2,667
  Hey guys, I've been looking for some comfortable headphones and I had high hopes for the MDR-1A, but I read a couple of posts saying that the pads might cover some part of your ears. Are there any replacement pads that can fix this, particularly velour ones?

Since the pads are held on with clips you will have to modify the existing pads with larger one as I don't think Sony makes a larger pad for them.  But the existing are so soft I don't think its much of an issue even if you ware glasses but only way to find out unfortunately is to try them.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #2,167 of 2,667
Hey guys, my mdr-1a right ear stopped outputting sound :frowning2:

Didnt drop it or do anything harmful to it whatsoever. The sound just stopped working overnight.

Tried plugging into different sources, same problem. Dont have an extra cable i can test.

Is it just dead? Is there anything i can do myself to fix it?

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,168 of 2,667
Hey guys, my mdr-1a right ear stopped outputting sound
frown.gif

Didnt drop it or do anything harmful to it whatsoever. The sound just stopped working overnight.

Tried plugging into different sources, same problem. Dont have an extra cable i can test.

it shall come with a normal stereo cable and one ofr smartphones. didn't they come with two cables?

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #2,169 of 2,667
frown.gif

Exactly same thing happen to me last week. I tried to see if I could fix the wiring, but did not succeed. Bought ATH 7 instead. tired Sony breaks down, and my ear paths are ruined after less then a year.....

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,170 of 2,667

Quote:
frown.gif

As @gerelmx1986 noted the MDR-1A comes with two cables so you can switch them to see if its the driver or cable.  If you can find a cable with a smaller step down ring (double-helix 3.5mm jack will fit) or get a cheap 3.5mm/3.5mm from china with a slim profile to fit within the opening that would also work.  see below:

If you want to open up the cups you could just try to check if the drivers are working by touching some speaker wires with a signal to see if they produce sound (don't turn up the volume to high or you'll blow the drivers).  See below for what the inside of the cups look like (they will not have the black and silver pad shown on the left which is dynamat)

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,171 of 2,667
Yes, it did come with an extra cable but I have no idea where I lost it...

just tried using a regular 3.5mm cable and had to push in real hard to get sound coming out the left ear. right still didn't work :frowning2:

does that mean it's dead?! IM SO SAD

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #2,172 of 2,667
  Yes, it did come with an extra cable but I have no idea where I lost it...

just tried using a regular 3.5mm cable and had to push in real hard to get sound coming out the left ear. right still didn't work :frowning2:

does that mean it's dead?! IM SO SAD

​Maybe its dead yes. My z5 sometimes gives me that impression one earbud is dead but it is not, is my beaten up right ear (unilateral hearing loss)

for how long did you had them, if i they are under a year you cna claim warranty (if they have 1 year)

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,173 of 2,667
I called warranty earlier today. If I still had the receipt and I purchased it within a year, they would give me a brand new unit for free. I no longer have the receipt, and I think it's been about a year and half anyway.

Just figured out how to detach the ear cup so I'll play around with it in case. Using Razer Adaro earphones in the meantime... used to think they were "amazing" lol. I get depressed when I listen to music now, the difference...

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #2,175 of 2,667
Anyone have recommendations on a replacement for my late MDR-1A?

Currently looking at the CKS99 (for $100cdn brand new), CKS1100 and xba-z5 if I can still get it for $450. Anything else you guys can recommend with similar sound/quality in the $200-$400 range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back