Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Aug 21, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #2,131 of 2,667

@Schopenhauer, don't you think that $47 + $14 is a little high?  Generic leather ear pads from Amazon are only $10 and its free shipping.  Haven't figured out the Sony site to check on the prices of OEM ear pads, waiting on customer service to get back to me.

Now that you mention it, I suppose it's a little steep. I guess I wasn't phased because I've paid more than that for pads in the past. We'll see. I'm probably willing to pay if they're built partially to spec but with some added depth. The OEM pads you mention: They would be the same as the pads the 1A comes with?

And it's certainly steep in light of the total cost of the headphones themselves. I find the headphones already comfortable. Not maximally comfortable.  Perhaps the deeper pads would more closely approach the maximum. Let's see what happens. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2,132 of 2,667

David;you are right Bass level Goes Down;its not loose by the way.
biggrin.gif
   Surgical tape are white tape generally available in medical stores .They are available of different width.
For reference i have given pics of my mod.i have covered the air vent fully except the round hole which is near the air vent .

Just re-did the dynamat in my MDR-1A, added some along the side of driver baffle and put in a slightly larger piece in the ear cups.  Made a slight improvement in controlling the bass and keeps it from bleeding into the mids a lot better than with the dynamat on just the ear cups.

Hey, I bought today some 3M paper surgical tape and I want to do the tape mod, but I have difficulties removing the ear pads.
I managed to push / release the clips at 9 and 3 o'clock as described here http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r
but it doesn't come off and I'm afraid not to break something.

Can you please describe in detail how the ear pads should be removed?

Aug 21, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,133 of 2,667

Hey, I bought today some 3M paper surgical tape and I want to do the tape mod, but I have difficulties removing the ear pads.
I managed to push / release the clips at 9 and 3 o'clock as described here http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r
but it doesn't come off and I'm afraid not to break something.

Can you please describe in detail how the ear pads should be removed?

I used a credit card to push in and release one the clips, not easy and take your time.  If you managed to get one or two of the clips off then the others should be fairly easy.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures of removing the ear pads since I was following as described here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r, same post you went to

Aug 21, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #2,134 of 2,667
  I used a credit card to push in and release one the clips, not easy and take your time.  If you managed to get one or two of the clips off then the others should be fairly easy.  Sorry I didn't take any pictures of removing the ear pads since I was following as described here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/665529/dynamat-mod-for-sony-mdr-1r, same post you went to

It was easy to push / release the two opposite middle clips on the long sides, I used a thin screw driver.
But for the rest of the clips, on the top and bottom of cups, do I push on them in the same way?
Because in the photo below I see those two on the long sides have the clips on the plastic piece that is inside the ear pads, and the other four have the clips on the cup body. Also did you use a corner of the credit card or the short edge?

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #2,136 of 2,667
I have done the surgical paper mod.
I think the sound changes are pretty subtle.

The main difference is a bit more forward mids with more authority and crunch.
Bass feels the same, maybe slightly more bottom, but not tighter.
I didn't cover the bass port and grill at all. If i want to do that I have my foam mod which also tones down the bass a bit and helps with the wind noise.
But now I have them without anything covering the ports.

The mod is very time consuming, it takes patience and care. Try to cover all the spots as good as you can. The hardest part for me was unhooking the clips in the ear pads, but I finally managed it :), thanks @DavidA .

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,137 of 2,667
@KopaneDePooj, Nice work with the surgical tape.  I was going to do some of the surgical tape mod but felt that after I redid the dynamat it wasn't needed.  If you still feel that the bass is too loose might want to try some dynamat in the cup, might actually be better than just dynamat or surgical tape and since you did the harder of the two it shouldn't take too long.

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,138 of 2,667
  @KopaneDePooj, Nice work with the surgical tape.  I was going to do some of the surgical tape mod but felt that after I redid the dynamat it wasn't needed.  If you still feel that the bass is too loose might want to try some dynamat in the cup, might actually be better than just dynamat or surgical tape and since you did the harder of the two it shouldn't take too long.

I looked for Dynamat in my area but I can only find large kits for like 100$ or more. If I come across a small piece to use with the headphones I think I will do it.

Sep 5, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #2,140 of 2,667
just saw this handsome number while researching its bigger brother!

http://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1a-headphones/specifications

its impedence appears to be double that of the original.

those perforated earpads resemble those of focal utopia.

Sep 5, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #2,141 of 2,667
The first post of this thread has just been updated with some addition info about the new MDR-1A Limited Edition!

Check it out!
beyersmile.png

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,142 of 2,667
Sony has also just announced a new balanced Kimber Kable for the MDR-1A (it works with both versions) that uses the new 4.4mm balanced connector standard that Sony also uses on their new ES DAC-Amp and their two high-end DAPs.

http://www.sony.com.my/electronics/headphone-extension-cables/muc-s12sb1

Sep 5, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #2,144 of 2,667
  The first post of this thread has just been updated with some addition info about the new MDR-1A Limited Edition!

Check it out!
beyersmile.png

did you saw Audeze´s new spidey IEM?
biggrin.gif
 they are for sure the ugliest things i ever have seen in my whole life

Users who are viewing this thread

Back