Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Sep 7, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #2,147 of 2,667
from Sony Hong Kong

"With regards to your concern, please be advised that further information on the release of the enquired MDR-1A LIMITED EDITION headphone are expected later in the month of September 2016.

The information available currently suggest a possible release near early October 2016".

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #2,148 of 2,667
just saw this handsome number while researching its bigger brother!

http://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1a-headphones/specifications

its impedence appears to be double that of the original.

those perforated earpads resemble those of focal utopia.

The first post of this thread has just been updated with some addition info about the new MDR-1A Limited Edition!

Check it out!
beyersmile.png

Nice addition to the line, but the impedance was always 48 Ohm, it's written on the back of my box and also here:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1a-headphones/specifications

So @XERO1 you might want want to remove the comment about the impedance change on the 1st post.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #2,149 of 2,667
Sep 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,150 of 2,667
I sure hope the driver has some sort of re-tuning or improvement. Not that I don't like the original 1A sound, but if they're going all out with a new LE model, I'd expect it to at least sound different, if not better. That being said, it seems from the offcial spec sheet that the only thing different is the exterior materials and color scheme. Hope new info proves me wrong. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,151 of 2,667
Had a chance to listen to the MDR-1A for the first time and was a bit "meh". Nice clarity and detail, plenty of bass slam, supremely comfortable, but the bass is just a bit too bloated and bloomy (even though I like headphones on the bassier side). Massive Attack's Future Proof, for example, starts off with a deep, rumbling electronic bassline that the Sonys just turned into a bit of a featureless, low drone so dominant that the vocals struggled to rise above it. Granted, a lot of headphones struggle with that, but my DT990s manage to at least vaguely separate the bass notes and not drown out the vocals. The Sonys were much better with pure rock -- AC/DC's Back in Black sounded awesome with a great punchiness and weight. On the Sennheiser Momentums that I also tried, that track just sounded a bit anemic and the guitar riff at higher volume almost made my ears bleed (I never seem to get along with Sennheisers). 

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #2,152 of 2,667
  Had a chance to listed top the MDR-1A for the first time and was a bit "meh". Nice clarity and detail, plenty of bass slam, supremely comfortable, but the bass is just a bit too bloated and bloomy (even though I like headphones on the bassier side). Massive Attack's Future Proof, for example, starts off with a deep, rumbling electronic bassline that the Sonys just turned into a bit of a featureless, low drone that was over-dominant and the vocals struggled to rise above. Granted, a lot of headphones struggle with that, but my DT990s manage to at least vaguely separate the bass notes and not drown out the vocals. The Sonys were much better with pure rock -- AC/DC's Back in Black sounded awesome with a great punchiness and weight. On the Sennheiser Momentums that I also tried, that track just sounded a bit anemic and the guitar riff at higher volume almost made my ears bleed (I never seem to get along with Sennheisers). 

The MDR-1A bass is way over done, I needed to do the dynamat mod to make it listenable, still on the fence on the tape mod but I just might do it down the road.

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #2,153 of 2,667

Nice addition to the line, but the impedance was always 48 Ohm, it's written on the back of my box and also here:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-1a-headphones/specifications

So @XERO1 you might want want to remove the comment about the impedance change on the 1st post.

​
You are correct.  I just double-checked the 1A's PDF manual and it also lists the impedance as 48 Ohms.

I have updated the original post and removed the incorrect reference to the impedance difference.

Although there is still a chance that the LE's could be retuned, it now seems pretty unlikely. 
frown.gif

Even if it isn't retuned, the 1A is still a very good sounding yet bass-heavy headphone, and as has been documented in this thread, there are effective mods that allow you to retune the bass response to your taste.

Sep 12, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #2,154 of 2,667
  The MDR-1A bass is way over done, I needed to do the dynamat mod to make it listenable, still on the fence on the tape mod but I just might do it down the road.

I'm surprised by that.

The 1R seems to have lots of fans, and same with 950ap for fun sounds. I wonder how far the sounds are, and the fun factor.

But then again, its fun tinkering with Sony cans, they are flexible, and don't just suddenly go full crappy with slightest distancing shifts, and dampening.

I wouldn't mind tinkering with a 950, but would have elevated heart rate for 1Rs.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,155 of 2,667

I'm surprised by that.

The 1R seems to have lots of fans, and same with 950ap for fun sounds. I wonder how far the sounds are, and the fun factor.

But then again, its fun tinkering with Sony cans, they are flexible, and don't just suddenly go full crappy with slightest distancing shifts, and dampening.

I wouldn't mind tinkering with a 950, but would have elevated heart rate for 1Rs.

I think the reason I felt that the bass of the MDR-1A is over done is due to the other headphones that I have, headphones with the best bass to me that I own are TH-600, HE-400 (modded), and Stax SRD-34 (modded).  Other headphones that I feel have good tight bass that go deep are HD-700, HE-560 and ypsilon driver build.  I think the reference point that everyone has is different so that is how we judge and form our opinions and the reason for a lot of the different descriptions.

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,159 of 2,667
  I think the reason I felt that the bass of the MDR-1A is over done is due to the other headphones that I have, headphones with the best bass to me that I own are TH-600, HE-400 (modded), and Stax SRD-34 (modded).  Other headphones that I feel have good tight bass that go deep are HD-700, HE-560 and ypsilon driver build.  I think the reference point that everyone has is different so that is how we judge and form our opinions and the reason for a lot of the different descriptions.

Everyone's reference points are indeed different. I thought I would like the 1A coming from the Beyer sound, but even compared to my DT-990s I thought the 1A bass was not great -- a bit bloated and undefined. Granted, I was not using my usual DAC, which might have improved the Sonys, but I doubt it would have performed miracles.  

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #2,160 of 2,667

Everyone's reference points are indeed different. I thought I would like the 1A coming from the Beyer sound, but even compared to my DT-990s I thought the 1A bass was not great -- a bit bloated and undefined. Granted, I was not using my usual DAC, which might have improved the Sonys, but I doubt it would have performed miracles.  

Agree, no DAC or amp would improve the bass that much with the MDR-1A, and if one did it would be a miracle indeed.  I also have a DT-990 premium, with a BH Crack they are quite nice but quite a different sound signature from the 1A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back