Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Oct 4, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,191 of 2,667
  Apparently it's limited to 2,900 units. I hope it isn't a JP-only thing. 

As long as I can get a pair, then nobody will get hurt!  
biggrin.gif

And why 2900?  That's such a weird number.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #2,192 of 2,667
  Ended up getting the CKS99 earphones as the substitute. They're not bad by any means, but just not the same as the MDR-1A. I wasn't expecting them to be identical, but hoping they'd be able to produce a similar sound with EQ. Generally speaking, I'd say the MDR-1A does everything better. The CKS99 mids I feel are a bit too recessed, even with EQ. Or maybe a bit hollow? 

Looking to rebuy the MDR-1A; limited edition if there's any difference.

I have bought it as a second pair now. Payed only 100 € brand new at Amazon.fr. it is the second time I see a 24 hour promotion on that......

For me the Audio Technica MSR 7 is better, but the Sony has other qualities. Some music can use a bit colored, warmer sound. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,193 of 2,667
Finally!  Here are a couple of real pics of MDR-1A LE.

http://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201610/04/39679.html

Oct 8, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #2,196 of 2,667
I bought my pair just yesterday, and man I am impressed with these. They have a very enjoyable sound signature with good bass and clear mids & highs. The sound is very detailed and everything sounds in harmony. These handle everything I throw at them very well, from mellow and relaxing instrumental, classical and new age stuff to fast paced japanese speed trance. The bass is not overpowered to my ears, like some says, it's just fine and gives a very nice and relaxing warmness to slow paced relaxing music and enjoyment to fast paced electronica. Seriously I just love the bass in these, it's just the perfect amount. These also handle EQ very well so I can make it stronger when I listen to very bass heavy stuff.

That being said, the comfort is just awesome. These are the comfiest I've ever tried, even better than the HD598.

I just want some more sparkle to the highs, but EQ can take care of that. I'm using them as is, with no EQ, because I think I got myself too used to ridiculously sparkly amounts of highs with my usual earbuds.

These headphones are just spectacular, and even though the reviews on Amazon do them justice, they're underappreciated compared to the, imo, mediocre and overly relaxed HD598, and the overly harsh and analytical M50s.

Anyone still owning both these and the HD598, which one do you prefer and why? Also, anyuone also owning the Fidelio X2 here? I heard the Fidelio has a warm sound signature like the Sony, and in fact I was undecided between these and the Fidelio X2, but eventually got the Sony because they were half the price. If the Fidelio have the same sound signature with improvements in the highs, soundstage, and the same comfort, they may be worth spending 300€ on. Otherwise I think the Sony will give me years of enjoyment judging from these two days of listening.

Finally I have a question, do you think these are affected by burn-in? Which kind of improvement can I expect if they are?

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #2,197 of 2,667
@MRK1, Had the HD-598 a few years ago, still have my MDR-1A along with M50x and Fidelio X1 plus many more.

HD-598 is an ok headphone to me, a little thin sounding and sometimes hard to drive properly, sort of like a cheap HD-600 not driven properly.  I gave them to a friend who uses a Aune T1 DAC/amp and for her it works quite well.

M50x: I wouldn't call these analytical or harsh, to me they lack clarity to be call analytical and don't have great sound stage.  The highs are grainy so that might be your impression of harsh.

X1: These are bass heavy and the bass is a little loose, like the MDR-1A, the X2 that I had for a few weeks before returning them were fairly close to the X1 in sound signature so not worth keeping.

I consider the bass of the MDR-1A loose since its compared to my other headphones like HE-400/400i, HD-600/650, SR-225e, DT-990 premium, K7XX, custom made Ypsilon and Nhoord driver headphones, these are all around the price range of the MDR-1A.

Oct 9, 2016 at 5:46 AM Post #2,198 of 2,667
  @MRK1, Had the HD-598 a few years ago, still have my MDR-1A along with M50x and Fidelio X1 plus many more.

HD-598 is an ok headphone to me, a little thin sounding and sometimes hard to drive properly, sort of like a cheap HD-600 not driven properly.  I gave them to a friend who uses a Aune T1 DAC/amp and for her it works quite well.

M50x: I wouldn't call these analytical or harsh, to me they lack clarity to be call analytical and don't have great sound stage.  The highs are grainy so that might be your impression of harsh.

X1: These are bass heavy and the bass is a little loose, like the MDR-1A, the X2 that I had for a few weeks before returning them were fairly close to the X1 in sound signature so not worth keeping.

I consider the bass of the MDR-1A loose since its compared to my other headphones like HE-400/400i, HD-600/650, SR-225e, DT-990 premium, K7XX, custom made Ypsilon and Nhoord driver headphones, these are all around the price range of the MDR-1A.

Thank you. Unfortunately none of those (except the K701) is on the same price range as the 1A (under 150€) here.
I was interested in the K701 but I've heard they are very bass light like the 598 and right now I listen to a lot of electronica which requires a bit of punch (not basshead level punch, I bought the Sennheiser Urbanite which are basshead level but they're indeed too loose to be used for trance for example as they can't keep up with the speed). I find the 1A to provide a good bass response for this type of music. Other than the loose bass, how would you describe the A1 compared to the 598?

Oct 9, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #2,199 of 2,667

Thank you. Unfortunately none of those (except the K701) is on the same price range as the 1A (under 150€) here.
I was interested in the K701 but I've heard they are very bass light like the 598 and right now I listen to a lot of electronica which requires a bit of punch (not basshead level punch, I bought the Sennheiser Urbanite which are basshead level but they're indeed too loose to be used for trance for example as they can't keep up with the speed). I find the 1A to provide a good bass response for this type of music. Other than the loose bass, how would you describe the A1 compared to the 598?

for about $170 (150euro) there is not much at will better the MDR-1A which are still quite a bit more here in the US.

For your preferred music of trance the 598 would not be a headphone I'd use, but if you were to listen to classical, jazz and music that is mostly acoustic then the 598 would be the better choice but it will also require a decent amp that pairs well with it.  The MDR-1A is very easy to drive so it performs quite well with just a smart phone driving them while the HD-598 will not.  My headphone of choice for trance would be a HE-400 with some mods and a good SS amp like project Polaris, Asgard2 or iFi Micro, bass will be nice and tight, good dynamics and the highs will have a nice sparkle.  A used HE-400 should be fairly cheap these days since the HE-400S is only $300.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #2,200 of 2,667
Also, anyuone also owning the Fidelio X2 here?

I have Fidelio X1, prefer it to MDR-1A in every way, except portability.

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2,201 of 2,667

I have Fidelio X1, prefer it to MDR-1A in every way, except portability.

Such a bold statement made me go back and compare my X1 and A1, it comes down to the genre of music for me, female vocals a touch better on the 1A, X1 has a better balanced FR but is a bit slow for some genres like EDM and trance where the bass gets muddy and sounds like a blob, 1A is not much better stock but since mine are modded its a bit better in the bass than the X1 but both are not what I would like.  Highs I would go with the 1A, just a bit more sparkly and cleaner to me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,202 of 2,667
  Such a bold statement made me go back and compare my X1 and A1, it comes down to the genre of music for me, female vocals a touch better on the 1A, X1 has a better balanced FR but is a bit slow for some genres like EDM and trance where the bass gets muddy and sounds like a blob, 1A is not much better stock but since mine are modded its a bit better in the bass than the X1 but both are not what I would like.  Highs I would go with the 1A, just a bit more sparkly and cleaner to me.

Damn, I wish my English wasn't that bad so I can express my impressions... Well, I still think A1 are just fine and use them as my "heavy duty" (everyday) headphones with PC and portable devices. But when I want to listen Music, I use the Fidelios. It seems, I became a huge fan of open headphones and Fidelio X1 in particular. A1 feels so compromised in comparison... Maybe, you need suitable source to "reveal" X1 (mine really shines on Fiio X5II - detailed DAP with controlled bass). Oh, and X1 sounds the best at a relatively high volume (at least for me).

Oct 9, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,203 of 2,667

Damn, I wish my English wasn't that bad so I can express my impressions... Well, I still think A1 are just fine and use them as my "heavy duty" (everyday) headphones with PC and portable devices. But when I want to listen Music, I use the Fidelios. It seems, I became a huge fan of open headphones and Fidelio X1 in particular. A1 feels so compromised in comparison... Maybe, you need suitable source to "reveal" X1 (mine really shines on Fiio X5II - detailed DAP with controlled bass). Oh, and X1 sounds the best at a relatively high volume (at least for me).

Your English is quite good, google translate can't do emotions which is a very hard thing to do with words in another language.  My GF is Korean and when she talks with some of her friends the conversation is so animated I sometimes think they are having an argument but its just excitement.

I usually don't use a DAP with the MDR-1A or X1, used with desktop DACs (Bifrost MB & Uber, Teac UD-301) and amps (Lyr2, Project Ember, headphone jack of UD-301 and BH Crack).  Another thing is since you listen at high volume and I tend to listen a low/mid volume it could be why we have different preferences.  I can see your excitement with listening to an open back if most of your prior headphones were closed back, it quite a change in sound signature.

The only person who has to like the sound is you, it doesn't matter what I like, glad you find the X1 so enjoyable.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #2,204 of 2,667
I tend to listen a low/mid volume

Me too, actually. The thing is X1 just sounds unamusing at low volume (unlike 1A).

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #2,205 of 2,667
glad you find the X1 so enjoyable.

I find both X1 and 1A enjoyable (each in its own way), so it's a double win!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back