Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Aug 13, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #2,116 of 2,667
I'm finding these with my VModa Lp2s

Like my earlobe won't go into the hole

but the XL pads is soft so when it rests on the lobe, its not uncomfortable.

With some of my other ones (xb1k  n SHP9500 (which i just got yest)  , the whole ear goes in

But i like big fat ones where the ears go in as silly as they look

After watching Z reviews and all the Fostext tRP mods with fat ZMF /Alpha pads, i've been fat pad obsessed

L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #2,117 of 2,667
Just re-did the dynamat in my MDR-1A, added some along the side of driver baffle and put in a slightly larger piece in the ear cups.  Made a slight improvement in controlling the bass and keeps it from bleeding into the mids a lot better than with the dynamat on just the ear cups.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,118 of 2,667
  Just re-did the dynamat in my MDR-1A, added some along the side of driver baffle and put in a slightly larger piece in the ear cups.  Made a slight improvement in controlling the bass and keeps it from bleeding into the mids a lot better than with the dynamat on just the ear cups.

YOU THINK the removal of paper behind driver works like with the xb 500/700/1000s?

i did it to mine(xb1k) and removed the fabric off driver and paper off back and bass tighened and boomier.

looks good

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #2,119 of 2,667
  YOU THINK the removal of paper behind driver works like with the xb 500/700/1000s?

i did it to mine(xb1k) and removed the fabric off driver and paper off back and bass tighened and boomier.

looks good

For the MDR-1A if you remove the white felt on the back of the driver it will make the sound really boomy and muddy, the MDR-1A is already a bass heavy headphones so adding more bass is not a good thing IMO. 

I would assume that the MDR-1A react like Grados where some have opened a few vent holes to increase the bass but it also has the effect to making the bass muddy and loose depending on how many holes you open up, not what I want with headphones that have too much bass to begin with and this is just of opposite of what the use of dynamat is trying to do, tighten up and control the bass better.

I thought about removing the pad of the back of the driver and putting on sorbothane like I've been doing with Grado's and some other headphones but decided not to at this time, might do it down the road.

I don't have any experience with xb 500/700/1000 so I can't say how they are affected.

Aug 16, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,121 of 2,667
I just picked a pair of these and I'm very impressed with sound through the mojo. Very clear and detailed and not too much base at all. They are very nice and smooth.

It's never to much "base", only to much bass sometimes...

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,122 of 2,667
I searched the thread and nothing came up. I thought I'd ask anyway. Does anyone have experience with the Vesper Audio pads? They make a pair of custom pads for the MDR-1R that look nice:

http://vesperaudio.com/earpads?brand=42.

Of course, I don't know whether MDR-1R pads fit on the MDR-1A. But the pads look deeper/thicker than the standard MDR-1R pads, and perhaps, the MDR-1A pads. I'm intrigued.

Aug 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #2,123 of 2,667
  I searched the thread and nothing came up. I thought I'd ask anyway. Does anyone have experience with the Vesper Audio pads? They make a pair of custom pads for the MDR-1R that look nice:

http://vesperaudio.com/earpads?brand=42.

Of course, I don't know whether MDR-1R pads fit on the MDR-1A. But the pads look deeper/thicker than the standard MDR-1R pads, and perhaps, the MDR-1A pads. I'm intrigued.

Nice looking ear pads, they should fit the 1A, IIRC 1R and 1A both use the same ear pads.  I couldn't find the exact price of them on the site but if they are $15-25 then they are a bargain.

Aug 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #2,124 of 2,667
  Nice looking ear pads, they should fit the 1A, IIRC 1R and 1A both use the same ear pads.  I couldn't find the exact price of them on the site but if they are $15-25 then they are a bargain.

​That's cheap, especially considering it's not pleather. OEM Sony ones cost $70 AUD (or around $55 USD).

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #2,125 of 2,667
Originally Posted by DavidA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Their website is very confusing. Or, I should say that it's confusing there's neither a way to place an order on their website nor a prompt to contact them via email to place an order. I've emailed them about placing an order. If, as you say, the 1R's pads fit the 1A, these should be excellent. I'll post impressions when I get them. 

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #2,128 of 2,667
Well, I heard back from them a few days ago, but so far no information regarding ordering. They told me that there could be a minute difference in fitment between the 1R and 1A pads and that I should send them measurements in accordance with their guidelines. The guidelines are contained in a manual of their own devising. I told them I would like to proceed and asked them to send along the manual. I've yet to hear back from them. The price for the thicker earpads is $47 and shipping would be $14. I'll probably send them a followup email soon asking again for the manual. 

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #2,130 of 2,667
  @Schopenhauer, don't you think that $47 + $14 is a little high?  Generic leather ear pads from Amazon are only $10 and its free shipping.  Haven't figured out the Sony site to check on the prices of OEM ear pads, waiting on customer service to get back to me.

Now that you mention it, I suppose it's a little steep. I guess I wasn't phased because I've paid more than that for pads in the past. We'll see. I'm probably willing to pay if they're built partially to spec but with some added depth. The OEM pads you mention: They would be the same as the pads the 1A comes with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back