Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jun 10, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,086 of 2,667
  I got the Junsi replacements pads for the A 1. I mounted them and >I cannot say there is a huge difference with the original sound. Maybe bit tighter bas and more open.

But is it me, or is it the pads, I have the impression, these are much warmer then the original, I sweat really a lot in them. So much , that I am considering, to find the originals again.....  

If the pad are too hot and sweaty then you might want to try the Momentum on-ear, for me here in Hawaii where the humidity is quite high I've found the Momentum on-ear to be one of the better breathing headphones, other than a Grado with L pads.

If you decide to try the M50 or M40 then get the Shure velour pads, really helps with the comfort.

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,087 of 2,667
hi guys...how do these compare with the sony mdr 7520?
i have this pair and was just wondering if there are major diffs are not?
i listen to all sorts of music but not rap or edm...rock, blues, jazz.

love the 7520 (also have the senn hd650) but my experience with cans is limited.

was considering moving up if needed but i've read the 7520 are still great bang for the buck.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #2,088 of 2,667
  hi guys...how do these compare with the sony mdr 7520?
i have this pair and was just wondering if there are major diffs are not?
i listen to all sorts of music but not rap or edm...rock, blues, jazz.

love the 7520 (also have the senn hd650) but my experience with cans is limited.

was considering moving up if needed but i've read the 7520 are still great bang for the buck.

I think they are geared for different uses, the 7520 is very neutral and analytical, while the MDR-1A has a more relaxed sound with stronger bass.  I think you might find the MDR-1A a bit veiled compared to your 7520.

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,089 of 2,667
thanks...i still love a balanced and detailed headphone...but also with some musicality and warmth.
would be for portable usage like the 7520 (also use them at home along side my senn hd650)

Quote:

I think they are geared for different uses, the 7520 is very neutral and analytical, while the MDR-1A has a more relaxed sound with stronger bass.  I think you might find the MDR-1A a bit veiled compared to your 7520.

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #2,090 of 2,667
I would definitely try the B&O Beoplay H6 then, much bigger sound stage than the Sonys, with better instrument separation and detail.  They aren't bright like the ATH, but offer a great neutral sound and have a very articulate low end.  They don't have the bass quantity of the Sonys, but there is good impact and it extends well.  I keep coming back to "balanced" when I describe them, with a slight low end emphasis.  I find them very enjoyable to listen to, I really wanted to like the Sony's but they just seem veiled to me and very closed in.
If you bought the h6 new , don't worry about that low bass emphasis, it will fade away on some days. :wink: by the way.. Looks like recent users of Sony does not complain about the midbass bleed. But I had been reading about lot of people mentioning they ignored this one for midbass bleed.honestly on my listen I too didn't find the bass issue, against the h6. But they are vieled in comparison .

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #2,091 of 2,667
How do you guys think the MDR1A compares to the takstar pro 80/Hyper cloud x? tbh i have tried quite a few headhones, but the hypercloud x is  pretty much the only one i found "comfortable" - would you say the mdr1a is more comfortable? or about the same? and i'm assuming it has much better sound quality...right? lol - i have sennheiser hd650 atm, love the sound but even after 6 months i just cant get them comfortable and lately they seem to be getting more uncomfortable simply from how mad i am while wearing them. 

you think sony mdr1A + o2odac can be a comfy end game? i been trying a lot of headphones and i kinda just want to stop and pick something that is comfy....and tbh i heard a few people, like Zeos say that the mdr1A Is better than the much respected Oppo pm3, more comfortable, more sound stage, smooth sound without fatigue (good for me cus i am treble sensitive) 

the only sony headphones ive ever tried were the mdrzx100 (these plastic things) so when i think of sony MDR (headphones) - i always think of them, but im sure the mdr1a is much better right?...RIGHT??

btw davidA you are in this thread too????

i was thinking of going ma900 cus they are supposedly very comfortable, but i think from the research ive done that the mdr1a is a better bang for buck as far as sound quality goes cus i heard quite a people say that ma900 is comfortable but the sound isn't really worth its price. 

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,092 of 2,667
@Beztis, I have a MDR-1A, but I don't use it much these days.  I think the ODAC/O2 will be a good pairing with the MDR-1A since you don't want to pair the MDR-1A with a warm DAC/amp.

I've been playing/tuning these:

these are not something I would recommend for treble sensitive types, great bass that is almost planar like, typical HD-650 mids and the sparkle of a RS2e

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,093 of 2,667
just looking at pics of grados make my ears hurt :O 

i think the mdr1a will be good for me, it looks very comfy and has a warm sound, good build quality - also i like that it hast he wire coming out only 1 end rather than both :D 

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,095 of 2,667
  just looking at pics of grados make my ears hurt :O 

i think the mdr1a will be good for me, it looks very comfy and has a warm sound, good build quality - also i like that it hast he wire coming out only 1 end rather than both :D 

Actually the above SennGrado is less bright than a HD-600 and is very comfortable due to the G pads.  One issue with the MDR-1A is the size of the ear pads are on the smaller side, my ears don't fit within them so I can get un-comfortable at times.  I think I posted a picture here a while back showing the ear pads in relation to other headphones.

The top left is a TH-600, the bottom left is a EL8 and the MDR-1A is on the right.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #2,096 of 2,667
  Actually the above SennGrado is less bright than a HD-600 and is very comfortable due to the G pads.  One issue with the MDR-1A is the size of the ear pads are on the smaller side, my ears don't fit within them so I can get un-comfortable at times.  I think I posted a picture here a while back showing the ear pads in relation to other headphones.

The top left is a TH-600, the bottom left is a EL8 and the MDR-1A is on the right.

aw man i thought i was done :frowning2:

and seems the nad hp50 has head band issues...and the oppo pm3 has clamp issues with small pads too....sennheiser momentum 2? :S 

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #2,098 of 2,667
I got a pair of PSB M4U 1's and the sound is really great. I much prefer them over the sony's. I'm also interested in the Master & Dynamic MH40's

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #2,099 of 2,667
omg i am so exhausted, i literally spent all day today reading headphone reviews. im done im done im done im done im done.

if MDR1a is uncomfortable to me, i'll just buy some cheap IEMS and call it a life =| 

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #2,100 of 2,667
  omg i am so exhausted, i literally spent all day today reading headphone reviews. im done im done im done im done im done.

if MDR1a is uncomfortable to me, i'll just buy some cheap IEMS and call it a life =| 

Don't give up, I'm sure there is a headphone out there with your name on it.  I think just reading about headphones is a great start but trying them hands on is the only way to really get to know them.  I've been lucky to be able to purchase a few and have a few friends that also have great gear.  There aren't many head-fi members here in Hawaii so we don't have meets (been trying to get one together but no luck so far).

You are just getting started, you have a great headphone in the HD-650 and have tried the HE-400i so use those as benchmarks to ask questions like you are in this thread what will suit your needs.  Best threads to ask questions on are the HD-650 and HE-400i threads as they are fairly active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back