Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jun 6, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,071 of 2,667
I get the same feeling about the 1A, coming from the AKG K553 Pro, it just feels really veiled to me, and the sound stage is much smaller.  I prefer a more mellow warm sounding speaker, so I figured that would be a nice choice for headphones, but I find myself liking the more neutral airy sound of the AKGs.

I think the NAD HP50 offers a better sound than the Sony, but they are not as comfortable.  I am going to try the B&O Beoplay H6 next, got a good deal on the first gen and will see how it compares.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #2,072 of 2,667
I get the same feeling about the 1A, coming from the AKG K553 Pro, it just feels really veiled to me, and the sound stage is much smaller.  I prefer a more mellow warm sounding speaker, so I figured that would be a nice choice for headphones, but I find myself liking the more neutral airy sound of the AKGs.

I think the NAD HP50 offers a better sound than the Sony, but they are not as comfortable.  I am going to try the B&O Beoplay H6 next, got a good deal on the first gen and will see how it compares.
I have the h6 and akg k551's. K551 is the widest soundtage of the three. If portability is not an issue it's a better bet than Sony in every possible ways. H6 is as comfortable (no clamping, light though not much cushion feeling as mdrs , but damn comfortable in a different way) sound wise, considering the more neutral nature h6 is more detailed much more focused and more airy. K551 sounds vieled in treble in comparison. If portability is the focus, and have another 50 bucks to spend, again h6 is. better bet. But at 150, mdr is good headphone, but I am afraid that the 3.5mm connection part on the headphone feels a bit cheap moly build that I am sure in a single accidental fall it will break. Though I liked the sound, that was the only reason which stopped me from getting them. It felt it to be bit cheaper in real, in comparison from the images over the Internet. I thank the store guy who had really good patience to let me listen few full test songs.( Anyway I went get an iPad, and had that in my hand, so he must have thought as long as I got something from there, he can bear with me !!)

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #2,073 of 2,667
I have the h6 and akg k551's. K551 is the widest soundtage of the three. If portability is not an issue it's a better bet than Sony in every possible ways. H6 is as comfortable (no clamping, light though not much cushion feeling as mdrs , but damn comfortable in a different way) sound wise, considering the more neutral nature h6 is more detailed much more focused and more airy. K551 sounds vieled in treble in comparison. If portability is the focus, and have another 50 bucks to spend, again h6 is. better bet. But at 150, mdr is good headphone, but I am afraid that the 3.5mm connection part on the headphone feels a bit cheap moly build that I am sure in a single accidental fall it will break. Though I liked the sound, that was the only reason which stopped me from getting them. It felt it to be bit cheaper in real, in comparison from the images over the Internet. I thank the store guy who had really good patience to let me listen few full test songs.( Anyway I went get an iPad, and had that in my hand, so he must have thought as long as I got something from there, he can bear with me !!)

Good to know about the H6 in comparison to the K551, I am excited to try them and if they can get me similar sound to the AKGs, in a more comfortable package, I am sold.  The only issue I have with my K553 is the headband, the weak clamping force makes all the weight fall on the top of your head.  I tried a headband pad and it helps some, but I think the lighter H6 is going to be nice.

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,074 of 2,667
  Good to know about the H6 in comparison to the K551, I am excited to try them and if they can get me similar sound to the AKGs, in a more comfortable package, I am sold.  The only issue I have with my K553 is the headband, the weak clamping force makes all the weight fall on the top of your head.  I tried a headband pad and it helps some, but I think the lighter H6 is going to be nice.

To be frank, if you are quite used to the mid forward K553, (assuming 551's are similar), first you will be having a week of dissappointment. ! I used to hear 'more' tiny bits of information in the mids louder, than the H6 with the same DAC amp combo( O2, FiiO E12 and Hifimediy Sabre 9018, Xduoo X3 dacout.) But, mids feels lacking  body, also midbass is not loud, and lastly the overally presentation feels little smaller as the driver on the AKG's are 50mm. Everything sounds like they are from big sources(instruments, people) with AKG. But, H6 reveals the details well all across the spectrum, and they are faster, and their imaging is much better, like lines drawn across the soundstage. Sorry to hijack the Sony thread, and not saying much about it. Infact I wish Sony made a second version of the MDR1's with a better precision in bass, and slightly better build, on the heaphone jack. I will be happy to get them. To me it was almost there, but missed by an inch! Would have considered if I was not spoiled by choices:wink: How about the 1ADAC? I am too curious about it, as I have an iPod Nano which needs some resurrection. Also they do not have the 'weak' 3.5mm connection part. I couldn't find any reviews around. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #2,075 of 2,667
  To be frank, if you are quite used to the mid forward K553, (assuming 551's are similar), first you will be having a week of dissappointment. ! I used to hear 'more' tiny bits of information in the mids louder, than the H6 with the same DAC amp combo( O2, FiiO E12 and Hifimediy Sabre 9018, Xduoo X3 dacout.) But, mids feels lacking  body, also midbass is not loud, and lastly the overally presentation feels little smaller as the driver on the AKG's are 50mm. Everything sounds like they are from big sources(instruments, people) with AKG. But, H6 reveals the details well all across the spectrum, and they are faster, and their imaging is much better, like lines drawn across the soundstage. Sorry to hijack the Sony thread, and not saying much about it. Infact I wish Sony made a second version of the MDR1's with a better precision in bass, and slightly better build, on the heaphone jack. I will be happy to get them. To me it was almost there, but missed by an inch! Would have considered if I was not spoiled by choices:wink: How about the 1ADAC? I am too curious about it, as I have an iPod Nano which needs some resurrection. Also they do not have the 'weak' 3.5mm connection part. I couldn't find any reviews around. 

To me the biggest difference is the top end, the AKG has that airy detailed sound, that I did not have in the Sony.  I will see how the H6 compares, if I don't like them then back they go.  Running out of options for a closed headphone though at this point though!

Jun 6, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #2,076 of 2,667
Yes the sony 10rc for me seems to neutral and boring. The bass feels underwhelming. I do not know much about which are the good headphones. I just want to avoid getting headphones that purely focuses on bass tho, so they ignore the mid and highs and makes everything sound muffled. 

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #2,078 of 2,667
So I just posted this in the advice section but I'd like to present this question here too.  I've been looking for a decent upgrade for my three year old Philips Cityscape Uptown which is decent but not great in any way. I want a good headphone for both out and about and home use.

I also own the KRK KNS 6400 but I almost never use them. They are too detailed and sort of, well, joyless. My genres are alternative pop, jazz and some classical music, mostly baroque and modern. 

I'm looking for a good, detailed all round headphone for music listening and gaming. On the road and at home. I guess I just want the unreachable ideal of 'very good, all the time, anywhere'. This seems to fit the bill quite easily at €140. The criticisms i've read seem to have been directed at the price which was in some cases double than what I'd be paying. 

This seemed like a good deal! Is it?

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #2,079 of 2,667
  So I just posted this in the advice section but I'd like to present this question here too.  I've been looking for a decent upgrade for my three year old Philips Cityscape Uptown which is decent but not great in any way. I want a good headphone for both out and about and home use.

I also own the KRK KNS 6400 but I almost never use them. They are too detailed and sort of, well, joyless. My genres are alternative pop, jazz and some classical music, mostly baroque and modern. 

I'm looking for a good, detailed all round headphone for music listening and gaming. On the road and at home. I guess I just want the unreachable ideal of 'very good, all the time, anywhere'. This seems to fit the bill quite easily at €140. The criticisms i've read seem to have been directed at the price which was in some cases double than what I'd be paying. 

If occasional INTENSIVE mid-bass boom does not scare you away then yes.

Jun 8, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #2,080 of 2,667

For that price it's a great option, the Sony's sounded a little too veiled for me, but fantastic comfort and good solid low end.  

Jun 8, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,081 of 2,667

While I haven't heard either of the headphones that you have for 140 the MDR-1A is a good deal but as the other posters have noted the bass can get muddy.  Other headphones you might want to consider: first generation Momentum (easy to find them for cheap since they are discontinued, I've gotten some used-like new, on-ears for a little as $54, used-like new over-ears for $92), V-Moda XS or M100 (not as good as the MDR-1A but very sturdy construction), ATH-M50x or MDR-7506 (but change the ear pads to Shure velour) and if you go up in price, PM-3, NAD HP-50, and KEF M500

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #2,082 of 2,667
I got the Junsi replacements pads for the A 1. I mounted them and >I cannot say there is a huge difference with the original sound. Maybe bit tighter bas and more open.

But is it me, or is it the pads, I have the impression, these are much warmer then the original, I sweat really a lot in them. So much , that I am considering, to find the originals again.....  

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #2,083 of 2,667
So I took the plunge and I thought I might as well post a few impressions here. First some nice words for the packaging: they really feel like a luxury product. Fantastic. 

When I took them out of the box and plugged them in my macbook I was initially taken aback a bit. It sounded good but kinda muddy and without the detail I looked for. However, they seem to have really come alive after a few hours of listening. I've been spinning the new McCartney compilation and these cans sure make it sound fun. I get why people would prefer something less bassy, but while they do have an emphasis on the low end they seem very clear at the same time which seems like quite an achievement. 

So I think they are keepers. Not the most detailed or analytical of headphones but they sure make even McCartney's most schmalzy songs extremely fun to listen to. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #2,084 of 2,667
I maybe look for something else. I would like to have the same soundstage, but a bit more livelier, and faster bass. 

The Audio Technica MX 40 or 50 could be interesting, but they not have such a good soundstage as the Sony.  The ATH Msr 7, is really too much the opposite. very tiring high's and voices more regressed. So I am a bit stuck here.....

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #2,085 of 2,667
  I maybe look for something else. I would like to have the same soundstage, but a bit more livelier, and faster bass. 

The Audio Technica MX 40 or 50 could be interesting, but they not have such a good soundstage as the Sony.  The ATH Msr 7, is really too much the opposite. very tiring high's and voices more regressed. So I am a bit stuck here.....

I would definitely try the B&O Beoplay H6 then, much bigger sound stage than the Sonys, with better instrument separation and detail.  They aren't bright like the ATH, but offer a great neutral sound and have a very articulate low end.  They don't have the bass quantity of the Sonys, but there is good impact and it extends well.  I keep coming back to "balanced" when I describe them, with a slight low end emphasis.  I find them very enjoyable to listen to, I really wanted to like the Sony's but they just seem veiled to me and very closed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back