Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #361 of 2,667
Thanks a lot for all the great replies! Gotta love this community. :)

By a strange coincidence I'm picking up the UE 6000 today, while waiting for/pondering over the 1A. It's only $70, the cheapest they've been over here, and hence half the price of the Sony. Maybe also half the sound quality? They certainly look...ehum...original, kind of like a storm trooper. :p

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #362 of 2,667
Can anyone give me a first hand comparison  of the MDR-1A and the B&W P7? Both closed back with a slight bass boost signature.  Super bonus points if it can be done on a Sony NWZ-A17!

Thanks!

Joe

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #363 of 2,667
Hi guys,

I just wanted to say for those of you in the US, it's cheaper to actually get this headphone from Amazon.co.uk since it's 158 British Pounds (I got mines when it was 150 pounds) but since you're in the US, you save the 20% VAT, so 132 Pounds = $199 USD (plus about 10 pounds for shipping or $13 USD):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDR-1A-Prestige-Overhead-Headphones-black/dp/B00N3WWG4U

However, mines came with some bad stitching on the headband so now I've got to deal with that (either contact Amazon uk or Sony USA).

I did just register my MDR-1A with Sony's warranty (you don't actually have to say anything other than you bought one here):

https://productregistration.sony.com/

and I got a 20% off coupon for "select" headphones and discovered that you can use it on the MDR-1A's, so $300 - $60 = $240 before taxes.

Hope I helped someone and I'll let you guys know if Sony honors purchases from the UK, if not, I purchased these headphones on the 7th of January so I still have time to send them back to Amazon.co.uk (Although at this point, I'm leaning to just dealing with Amazon.co.uk)

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #364 of 2,667
I have a question regarding these headphones. When I walk wearing these headphones, there seem to be some kind of noise for every step I take. Is this normal for every headphone, or is it something else?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #365 of 2,667
I have a question regarding these headphones. When I walk wearing these headphones, there seem to be some kind of noise for every step I take. Is this normal for every headphone, or is it something else?

It is probably wind noise you are hearing from the bass ports at the top of the earcups. I don't believe these headphones were designed for on-the-go use.

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #366 of 2,667

What type of noise is it? On mine, the pads do seem to move about a little bit against the ear meaning that I do hear a small amount of noise when walking. I don't get this on my Sennheiser Momentums, but the Sony's do have much better comfort overall.

I don't think that the build quality is a strong point on these headphones, but I still like them as an overall package.

Jan 19, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #367 of 2,667

What type of noise is it? On mine, the pads do seem to move about a little bit against the ear meaning that I do hear a small amount of noise when walking. I don't get this on my Sennheiser Momentums, but the Sony's do have much better comfort overall.

I don't think that the build quality is a strong point on these headphones, but I still like them as an overall package.

It's a kind of "Dum-dum" kind of sound for every step I take. It's probably because of the isolation and the headphones bump up and down.
Other than that, they are great :)

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #368 of 2,667
Greetings all...been surfing through this thread because I've been giving serious thought to pulling the trigger on this can and had a couple of questions for regular users.

1. For anyone with a fairly medium to big sized head, is this a good fit? IE not to much clamping force

2.Are these truly over ear or more on ear?

3. is it worth plunking down $300 for these? I realize this isn't a one answer fits all kind of thing. I'm just very curious for some users opinions. These have good reviews over at Amazon, but I'd rather hear impressions from users here.

I will mainly be using them with my Galaxy Note 4 and very old computer with a Fiio E07K

Thank you in advance for your answers.

EDIT: From the reviews I've read, these have a bassy sig, but not basshead level. That's fine by me, as I'm not a basshead. Can folks here confirm this to be true for the most part?

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:59 AM Post #369 of 2,667
1. Definitely towards the bigger end, but still manageable if you have a smaller head. I'm 5'7", and I only need a click or two before it looks in place. Be careful, however, that your ears might be a bit too big or extend too far from your head: the cups are pretty shallow, and it won't be as comfy then.

2. Comfort-wise and design-wise, over-ear. Isolation-wise, on-ear (because it really doesn't isolate well). For me, wind isn't too shabby, but that's probably because the majority of my IEM's stick out.

3. Just like everything, some will hate it, some will love it. I'm part of the latter group: right out of the box, it's already performing excellently for me, perhaps with a little bit too much emphasis on the 1k Hz range. I'm 100% sure that there's better stuff out there in terms of pure sound quality: however, as a package (lightweight, stylish, comfort, decent yet unique sound), there really isn't much out there. The Momentum's do offer a better sound in terms of balance: that being said, I still prefer the MDR-1A's, not to mention the comfort.

I will say this though: I do wish that they used a bit more metal in there. That being said, since it's plastic, it's very light, and the actual slider is metal.

4. Slightly elevated base which slightly bleeds over but nothing that a little EQ can't fix.

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #370 of 2,667
Initial impressions:

As of now I'm enjoying the MDR-1A.
Not as 'surprising' as the XB950s  (which I found excellent sounding for being available at less than $120 - non bluetooth version) since I was expecting an upgrade on the MDR-1R (which it is) but not bad at all.

Bass seems to be more elevated than the 1R but is in good taste, a bit boomier but what the hell I like bassy headphones (Perfect Sound Dido D901, Ultrasone Signature DJs, Denon Dxxxx, etc.). Mids are definitely a bit scooped, I think the bass is just a bit too overpowering. Highs are not as freaking annoying as the MDR-1R when volume is increased (the upper-mids, highs had some weird things on the 1R that made them fatiguing for me). I cannot detect that as of now. Separation/imaging seems right and it has a bit of air as well (i.e. I don't find them warm and as constricted as something like the Mad Dogs, VModa M100, etc.) It's still early but I think we have a winner.

Comfort = A+.
Design = B+,
Sound = B.

Would I pay full $300? Would have prefer a better case, but at least at this moment I would get these over the usual AT M50, Shure SRH840s, M-Audio Q40, V-moda M100s, Denon D600s, Senn Momentums, etc. etc. (do note that I did not pay $300). Need to compare against my Master and Dynamics MH40s and maybe even the Ultrasone Performance series which I sent to ultrabike over at chang for measurements. Isolation is not as great as some others I already listed, and they don't leak as much as I thought they would (a plus!). The boomy bass actually reminds me of a cheaper Chinese headphone I liked a lot... the DonScorpio, just with better texture and presence.

My initial impressions usually don't change much but I'll chime in again after I get used to them for a bit.

P.S. Using as source NWZ-A17 --> Schiit Magni (double amping) at the moment. Will test direct with A17 and AK100 MK2 players.

Jan 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #371 of 2,667
  Initial impressions:

..... P.S. Using as source NWZ-A17 --> Schiit Magni (double amping) at the moment. Will test direct with A17 and AK100 MK2 players.

I'd love to hear your impressions of the 1A with the NWZ-A17.  I am listening with B&W P7 and love the sound, but something about the MDR-1A is very intriguing to me!  Loving the little NWZ-A17, what a super value!

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #373 of 2,667
  Hello,

only a short question:

Are the ear pads of the MDR-1A replaceable?

They are definitely removable, so I'm guessing Sony will introduce a part number for just the pads... maybe... :wink:

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #374 of 2,667
@dazzerfong 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Snagged a pair from Dell this morning and will give them a try out. I've been very happy with my newly owned Sennheiser 598s for the most part. I just want something with a little more low end kick. Again, thanks!

Jan 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #375 of 2,667
Just pulled the trigger on these, and I'm quite happy and at the same time, disapointed about these headphones. I'm happy bout buying these cuz these have a very fun sound with great vocals and a wide soundstage. The instruments sound very life-like and the vocals sound amazing. The disapointed part of these are only because of the fact that the mids are too forward that makes songs without vocals (like EDM) sound kind of... different. I'm not really a fan of how these sound for EDM, especially because that's a majority of what I listen to, but whatever, got Beyer COPs for EDM already sooo... :/

A very good headphone overall though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back