Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R
Jan 24, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #391 of 2,667
  Can anyone compare the MDR-1A to Sony's MDR-V55 or Sennheiser's HD600?  If so, pros/cons going from either of these cans to the 1A?

Dave

edit: I wonder if you can get a terminated cable to 4 pole 2.5mm balanced (to suit AK 120 II's balanced 2.5mm jack).

I can help there:

HD-600: if amped properly, almost no competition except in bass and, depending on your head, comfort. HD-600's are more balanced (depends on taste), more airy and have a slightly wider soundstage. That being said, if it's unamped, it's the other way around (for obvious reasons). 1A's, however, are much more portable, and, truthfully, don't even share the same market as the HD-600's. The 1A's are fun sounding, the 600's are clinical.

Jan 24, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #392 of 2,667

I can help there:

HD-600: if amped properly, almost no competition except in bass and, depending on your head, comfort. HD-600's are more balanced (depends on taste), more airy and have a slightly wider soundstage. That being said, if it's unamped, it's the other way around (for obvious reasons). 1A's, however, are much more portable, and, truthfully, don't even share the same market as the HD-600's. The 1A's are fun sounding, the 600's are clinical.

Interesting, cos I find the MDR-V55's more musical, with better vocals (more forward in the mix) and have better bass than the HD600 on multiple devices.  The HD600 has more "air" and a wider and more accurate soundstage I'd agree.  My HD600's are new, with only a few hours on them though, but so far, I'm preferring the MDR-V55 as an overall package.  Perhaps that will change in time.  I'm not a big believer in burn in.

Oh, and the HD600's do have more lower level detail than the MDR-V55s but not by that much.  Not for near triple the retail price at least...

The big negatives for the HD600 are that they require a lot of power...I'm having to pump my AK120 II to like 65 volume...macbook pro @ max volume just to be about right volume wise.  I have no intention of buying an amp for portable use on the run.  I'm surprised actually, cos I'd say both my HD540 ref golds and Audeze LCD2s are easier to drive than the HD600.  

I do prefer an airier sound, so if the MDR-1's are less airy it would be a negative for me.  That said, I've happily lived with my MDR-V55s for like 18 months...

Thanks again.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #393 of 2,667
Interesting, cos I find the MDR-V55's more musical, with better vocals (more forward in the mix) and have better bass than the HD600 on multiple devices.  The HD600 has more "air" and a wider and more accurate soundstage I'd agree.  My HD600's are new, with only a few hours on them though, but so far, I'm preferring the MDR-V55 as an overall package.  Perhaps that will change in time.  I'm not a big believer in burn in.

Oh, and the HD600's do have more lower level detail than the MDR-V55s but not by that much.  Not for near triple the retail price at least...

The big negatives for the HD600 are that they require a lot of power...I'm having to pump my AK120 II to like 65 volume...macbook pro @ max volume just to be about right volume wise.  I have no intention of buying an amp for portable use on the run.  I'm surprised actually, cos I'd say both my HD540 ref golds and Audeze LCD2s are easier to drive than the HD600.  

I do prefer an airier sound, so if the MDR-1's are less airy it would be a negative for me.  That said, I've happily lived with my MDR-V55s for like 18 months...

Thanks again.

Treat the MDR-1A as portable headphones and you won't have any unrealistic expectations. I tried my brother's HD600 and was a bit underwhelmed: however, I was comparing apples and oranges. To something more fair, like the M100,it became a lot more apparent where the 1A's shine.

I haven't tried the MDR-V55's though, so I can't help you out much there.

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #395 of 2,667
Treat the MDR-1A as portable headphones and you won't have any unrealistic expectations. I tried my brother's HD600 and was a bit underwhelmed: however, I was comparing apples and oranges. To something more fair, like the M100,it became a lot more apparent where the 1A's shine.

I haven't tried the MDR-V55's though, so I can't help you out much there.

yeah, the HD600's lack a bit of boogie, a bit too polite.  I'm still tempted with the MDR-1A.  mmm...

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #396 of 2,667

yeah, the HD600's lack a bit of boogie, a bit too polite.  I'm still tempted with the MDR-1A.  mmm...

Don't get me wrong, the HD-600's are stellar: it's especially great for classical music, and it annhilates the 1A's in that area. However, it doesn't have that x-factor, where the music is coloured such that it's much more fun for music like pop. Again, apples and oranges.

Could someone measure the height and width of the ear pads, want to see if they fit my ears.

Yes, thanks to Americans, I have to put up inches too :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #397 of 2,667

Don't get me wrong, the HD-600's are stellar: it's especially great for classical music, and it annhilates the 1A's in that area. However, it doesn't have that x-factor, where the music is coloured such that it's much more fun for music like pop. Again, apples and oranges.

Well, not having listened to the MDR-1A's, I can't say if I'd consider them coloured or not.  I don't consider my MDR-V55's coloured.  I'm also finding the HD600's to be less forgiving of heavily compressed audio than the MDR-V55s.  Unfortunately, I listen to mostly mainstream music, and most of that suffers from heavy compression :frowning2:  

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #398 of 2,667

Thanks, think they would fit my ears perfect.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #399 of 2,667
MDR-1's arrived last week, but didn't get a serious listening session in until over the weekend. I have to admit, I'm very impressed with them. For starters, they are so super comfy for me. A few times I almost forgot they were on my head. At first I thought I might have gotten a defective one, because it felt like the bass slightly favored the right cup over the left. I think now I was over thinking that.

They're bassy, but not overly bassy. Which is just the kind of bass sig I have been looking for. Not bloated bass garbage, but far from thin. Soundstage not quite as good as my Sen HD 598's with classical, Jazz and Singer/Songwriter. I didn't expect them to be though, but I found them to be more than competent in those areas. 

Definitely keeping these and might just send back the Sens.

Jan 27, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #400 of 2,667
Hey Guys,

Looking for opinions, is this too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-SONY-MDR-1A-PREMIUM-HI-RES-STEREO-HEADPHONE-SILVER-IMPORT-MODEL-/151563049238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2349dc9916

It looks okay to me, but thought I would run it by you guys first.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #401 of 2,667
  Hey Guys,

Looking for opinions, is this too good to be true?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-SONY-MDR-1A-PREMIUM-HI-RES-STEREO-HEADPHONE-SILVER-IMPORT-MODEL-/151563049238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2349dc9916

It looks okay to me, but thought I would run it by you guys first.

Thanks!

The seller has really good feedback, so that's definitely a good thing.  Hopefully more people will chime in, but to me, looks to be ok. Are you buying from North America?

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #402 of 2,667
Yup, North America, so I'm always a bit skeptical when prices are low and the origin is China (in this case Hong Kong).  But I imagine that its too new to have a knockoff?

Jan 27, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #403 of 2,667
I generally would be a bit skeptical too for that price. Also could be the mdr's might be generally cheaper in Asia. I know they are in Europe. I ended up buying from Dell for $289 (after taxes)  Might not be what you want to spend, but they currently have a 10% off coupon (off electronics) you can use there. I hope it works out for you should you decide to take a chance on the Chinese seller.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #404 of 2,667
Since I accidentally ripped a bit of the leather on my MDR-1A's (it accidentally got hooked onto some branches), I figured I might as well buy some velour pads for it. From what I've read, pads made for Sony's MDR-7506 should fit perfectly. Does anyone have any experience with them, and if so, any recommendations? I'm split between Beyerdynamics and Auray Deluxe's right now.,

Jan 27, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #405 of 2,667
  Since I accidentally ripped a bit of the leather on my MDR-1A's (it accidentally got hooked onto some branches), I figured I might as well buy some velour pads for it. From what I've read, pads made for Sony's MDR-7506 should fit perfectly. Does anyone have any experience with them, and if so, any recommendations? I'm split between Beyerdynamics and Auray Deluxe's right now.,

+1 for this! I have not received mine yet so I don't know for sure if it's different with these, but my ears tend to get hot after a while with pleather pads. So if they don't get too hot or you can swap them for velour pads that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back