SONY IER-Z1R
May 22, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #15,331 of 15,433
Bumping this - any thoughts on Pentaconn Brass vs Aluminium core? I like the brass over OG tips and Final Type E and wondering about the newly released AL core. Seller says AL could be more neutral than Brass but wanted to check. TQ!
I never try the Aluminium one sorry, but I'm still using Pentaconn Coreir brass as my default eartips for Z1R even they sometimes stuck inside my ears when I pull out the Z1R. I can live with that given the precise Imaging and great seal with Coreir brass.

As for the Sedna Max, from my personal experience I dont get perfect seal as the material isn't tacky at all, and the rubbery material absorb the treble extension too so I don't recommend them.

Eartips that works for me with Z1R:
1.Pentaconn Coreir brass :
+Precise and best imaging among other eartips, perfect seal provides deep subbass, tight midbass, overall detail and resolution
- stuck in ear ocassionally, expensive (but if you can afford Z1R means you can afford this easily), little bit more sharp at already sharp 6khz lower treble area (can be bothersome for someone with lower treble sensitive)

2. Spinfit W1 :
+very great imaging and upper extension especially on 12khz, great subbass, quite tight mid bass because of the hard stem material, comfortable because of the flexible design (its spin-fit afterall)
-long stem, fit can be problem for some people, the more you use it you have to clean it or the umbrella won't as sticky as its clean state thus lead to reducing perfect seal.

3.Azla sedna crystal :
+tight and perfect seal, great subbass and very good midbass, high resolution, great treble extension, sit perfectly on Z1R nozzle
-can be itchy for long session, emphasize lower and upper treble, can be too bright for treble sensitive person, especially on 6khz area.

4. Moondrop Spring
+tight and great seal, material is tacky but not itchy, forwarded mids, extended trebles and wide soundstage
-emphasizing high mids and lower trebles at the same time, can be shouty on lower trebles, imaging is very good but not as perfect as pentaconn coreir

5. Sony EP-Ex11
+good seal and comfy, deep rumble subbass, organic warm presentation overall, the best for taming 6khz peaks due the small opening bore, very good treble extension, sit tight on Z1R nozzle
-because of the material, the imaging isnt the best, not as sharp as harder inner stem / umbrella, soundstage isnt the widest and details also not the best

May 22, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #15,332 of 15,433
I never try the Aluminium one sorry, but I'm still using Pentaconn Coreir brass as my default eartips for Z1R even they sometimes stuck inside my ears when I pull out the Z1R. I can live with that given the precise Imaging and great seal with Coreir brass.

As for the Sedna Max, from my personal experience I dont get perfect seal as the material isn't tacky at all, and the rubbery material absorb the treble extension too so I don't recommend them.

Eartips that works for me with Z1R:
1.Pentaconn Coreir brass :
+Precise and best imaging among other eartips, perfect seal provides deep subbass, tight midbass, overall detail and resolution
- stuck in ear ocassionally, expensive (but if you can afford Z1R means you can afford this easily), little bit more sharp at already sharp 6khz lower treble area (can be bothersome for someone with lower treble sensitive)

2. Spinfit W1 :
+very great imaging and upper extension especially on 12khz, great subbass, quite tight mid bass because of the hard stem material, comfortable because of the flexible design (its spin-fit afterall)
-long stem, fit can be problem for some people, the more you use it you have to clean it or the umbrella won't as sticky as its clean state thus lead to reducing perfect seal.

3.Azla sedna crystal :
+tight and perfect seal, great subbass and very good midbass, high resolution, great treble extension, sit perfectly on Z1R nozzle
-can be itchy for long session, emphasize lower and upper treble, can be too bright for treble sensitive person, especially on 6khz area.

4. Moondrop Spring
+tight and great seal, material is tacky but not itchy, forwarded mids, extended trebles and wide soundstage
-emphasizing high mids and lower trebles at the same time, can be shouty on lower trebles, imaging is very good but not as perfect as pentaconn coreir

5. Sony EP-Ex11
+good seal and comfy, deep rumble subbass, organic warm presentation overall, the best for taming 6khz peaks due the small opening bore, very good treble extension, sit tight on Z1R nozzle
-because of the material, the imaging isnt the best, not as sharp as harder inner stem / umbrella, soundstage isnt the widest and details also not the best
100% agree on Coreir Brass getting stuck in ears but still WORTH IT.. Hahahaha :L3000: Anyway, it was a good reason for me to revert to M size which is much better than L size for me IMO... Also thanks for the reviews of the others tips, I will try Azla sedna crystal and ep-ex11..

Will report back on Coreir Aluminium if/when I buy them :)

May 22, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #15,333 of 15,433
stuck in ear ocassionally, expensive (but if you can afford Z1R means you can afford this easily), little bit more sharp at already sharp 6khz lower treble area (can be bothersome for someone with lower treble sensitive)
Cost aside (I agree, tip prices are irrelevant when you're buying them for high-end IEMs), getting stuck in the ear and raising lower treble are two instant dealbreakers for me. Although for me the dealbreaker with Coreir was the fit - simply too long and hard (sorry!) compared to the infinitely more comfortable EP-EX11.

May 22, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #15,334 of 15,433
Idk.. but when I heard some Frieren: Evolution of Magic OSTs with the Coreir just now with ZM2+Z1R, I was just blown away by how awesome it was.. maybe I just lazy to tip roll hahaha

May 22, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #15,335 of 15,433
I'd be thrilled if they came out with an updated Z5 or N3 with the over-ear design of the IER range. I recently gave up on the Z5 for the 3rd time due to the design, and resist to buy the N3 for the same reason. It seems that they've focused on either the high end or the consumer Bluetooth market so I don't hold my breath.
In the future I'd like to acquire an M9, but being a stubborn dynamic driver bass fan I talk myself out of it.

May 23, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #15,336 of 15,433
I'd be thrilled if they came out with an updated Z5 or N3 with the over-ear design of the IER range. I recently gave up on the Z5 for the 3rd time due to the design, and resist to buy the N3 for the same reason. It seems that they've focused on either the high end or the consumer Bluetooth market so I don't hold my breath.
In the future I'd like to acquire an M9, but being a stubborn dynamic driver bass fan I talk myself out of it.
The IER-M9 is most famous for having an DD-like bass and/or the best bass you can have in an IEM at all.

The IER-M9 was originally developed as an 4-way system, but after musicians (It was tuned in cooperation with musicians) complained about the bass, Sony developed an BA Subwoofer and adjusted it until everyone was satisfied.

As being an musician myself, i can assure you, as long you're using a good piece of foam earpiece (like the COMPLY T-200 or TZ-200), the IER-M9 provided you pretty much the most accurate bass you can have and sounds completely different than the typical BA Bass most people know.

Being a dynamic driver bass fan is a reason to buy the IER-M9, not a reason against it

May 23, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #15,337 of 15,433
The IER-M9 is most famous for having an DD-like bass and/or the best bass you can have in an IEM at all.

The IER-M9 was originally developed as an 4-way system, but after musicians (It was tuned in cooperation with musicians) complained about the bass, Sony developed an BA Subwoofer and adjusted it until everyone was satisfied.

As being an musician myself, i can assure you, as long you're using a good piece of foam earpiece (like the COMPLY T-200 or TZ-200), the IER-M9 provided you pretty much the most accurate bass you can have and sounds completely different than the typical BA Bass most people know.

Being a dynamic driver bass fan is a reason to buy the IER-M9, not a reason against it

I use almost every day a IER-Z1R at office and IER-M9 for sleeping ... I apply some PEQ with PowampEQ to adjust a bit sound quality to my personal taste with M9 (a low shelf under 80hz).

I would think like you, that M9 can offer really good low frequencies, though IER-Z1R is still a little step better even when some EQ are applied to the M9.
But for me IER-M9 is at least on par if not better than my Sennheiser IE600/900/800s, Vision Ears EXT, IMR AMT+ .. and of course more impressive than all more or less decent Chifi IEMs I also own.

In short.. the IER-M9 is that good, that I am wondering to look if some other recent Full BA IEM can be worth to give a try, even if I should loose some of the DD sub lows on the path (but not all of my DD offers what M9 can produce in lows/ultra lows texture/impact) . IER-Z1R is my absolute reference for lows, ultra lows, highs and stage width.

May 23, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #15,338 of 15,433
I use almost every day a IER-Z1R at office and IER-M9 for sleeping ... I apply some PEQ with PowampEQ to adjust a bit sound quality to my personal taste with M9 (a low shelf under 80hz).

I would think like you, that M9 can offer really good low frequencies, though IER-Z1R is still a little step better even when some EQ are applied to the M9.
But for me IER-M9 is at least on par if not better than my Sennheiser IE600/900/800s, Vision Ears EXT, IMR AMT+ .. and of course more impressive than all more or less decent Chifi IEMs I also own.

In short.. the IER-M9 is that good, that I am wondering to look if some other recent Full BA IEM can be worth to give a try, even if I should loose some of the DD sub lows on the path (but not all of my DD offers what M9 can produce in lows/ultra lows texture/impact) . IER-Z1R is my absolute reference for lows, ultra lows, highs and stage width.
👌 well said. Exactly what I thought.

M9 / M7 BA best is among the best BA bass out there almost as good as u12t, maybe even the quality is slightly better, just the u12t bass is tuned better for me, never heard Storm bass so I can't comment but Sony BA bass is open BA bass. Definitely have special rumble compared to BA with nozzle like sonion's or knowles.
The BA bass in M9 even beat lot of DD bass out there
But at some point, still can't beat the impact of great implemented solid DD bass like Z1R bass for example, or Elysian Anni 2023 bass or Mest bass or IE900 bass.

May 23, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #15,339 of 15,433
👌 well said. Exactly what I thought.

M9 / M7 BA best is among the best BA bass out there almost as good as u12t, maybe even the quality is slightly better, just the u12t bass is tuned better for me, never heard Storm bass so I can't comment but Sony BA bass is open BA bass. Definitely have special rumble compared to BA with nozzle like sonion's or knowles.
The BA bass in M9 even beat lot of DD bass out there
But at some point, still can't beat the impact of great implemented solid DD bass like Z1R bass for example, or Elysian Anni 2023 bass or Mest bass or IE900 bass.
I was going to ask, price aside, which is the better IEM between M9 and U12t for you? I suspect it'll still be the U12t, but possibly depends on preference. They U12t is still the pinnacle of all-BA IEMs for my taste, the most balanced between musical and technical - and excellent at both. And that's from someone who swears by DD bass.

May 23, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #15,340 of 15,433
I was going to ask, price aside, which is the better IEM between M9 and U12t for you? I suspect it'll still be the U12t, but possibly depends on preference. They U12t is still the pinnacle of all-BA IEMs for my taste, the most balanced between musical and technical - and excellent at both. And that's from someone who swears by DD bass.
Price aside u12t for me because of the overall tuning, details, etc.
M9 wins on vocal weight and slightly better imaging but everything else, goes to u12t.
I put u12t in S class rank along with Odin, Z1R and u12t still 64audio's best for me.
While M9 I ranked them S- with Mest.

I'm very agree with "most balanced between musical and technical". All time allrounder and reference.

May 23, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #15,341 of 15,433
The overall tuning is the biggest dislike with the U12t. It is as far from neutral as you can get and i do not like that. A lot of songs i have start to sound strange and off because the volume gap between bass and mids

May 23, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #15,342 of 15,433
The overall tuning is the biggest dislike with the U12t. It is as far from neutral as you can get and i do not like that. A lot of songs i have start to sound strange and off because the volume gap between bass and mids
Funny you say that, I still remember the first time I heard U12t thinking "this sounds absolutely right". Very few IEMs ever managed to replicate that for me. Z1R comes closest, as long as we're not comparing bass. I usually find flat neutral boring, too analytical. I imagine the 18t is tuned more like that.

May 23, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #15,343 of 15,433

I always get overwhelmed visiting e earphone, thrilled to be on holiday in Japan, limited time in a store with an adundance of audio gear, brain-fried from 20+ iem demos, so it's never an ideal situation for me to make a clear decision.
I first heard the M9 about 5 years ago, then again in January, I've always been a fan of Sony's tunings and could easily settle for them. This recent trip I had intended to celebrate my post-Covid return by buying another iem but ended up undecided and then talked myself out of it, something I now regret.
I really liked the Mext, with the M9 a close second. The M9 does have impressive bass, but I get conflicted between the great reviews, and the ones that use the terms dull and a bit boring. That is not how I would describe them when demoing, but fear it may appear this way when I get them home and spend more time.

May 23, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #15,344 of 15,433
I always get overwhelmed visiting e earphone, thrilled to be on holiday in Japan, limited time in a store with an adundance of audio gear, brain-fried from 20+ iem demos, so it's never an ideal situation for me to make a clear decision.
I first heard the M9 about 5 years ago, then again in January, I've always been a fan of Sony's tunings and could easily settle for them. This recent trip I had intended to celebrate my post-Covid return by buying another iem but ended up undecided and then talked myself out of it, something I now regret.
I really liked the Mext, with the M9 a close second. The M9 does have impressive bass, but I get conflicted between the great reviews, and the ones that use the terms dull and a bit boring. That is not how I would describe them when demoing, but fear it may appear this way when I get them home and spend more time.
If you like Mext, then try Mest, its a direct upgrade from Mext. And at the time I was in hard decision to sell M9 or not (because I just bought Mest that time), since I also have M7, so I decided to let go the M9 even though sometimes I still miss them but Mest is great in different direction from M9 (brighter overall, but more technical)

May 23, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #15,345 of 15,433
M9 plays great with every genre, and the bass does sound like DD bass. Admittedly I have never heard "typical" BA bass before so I can't compare, M9 is my only full BA set. Great companion for my Z1R, I can just listen and relax for hours, very smooth and musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back