SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 12, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #15,151 of 15,265
I finally order the IER-Z1R and received it today. I was a bit anxious with the fit but no problems. The shells are big and heavy but relatively comfortable to wear. Not sure if it will work for extended periods.

Amazing set. Mild V-shape sound signature. The bass quality and quantity is one the best I've ever heard to date. Immersive soundstage, exceptional imaging and natural timbre. Treble has no peaks and it's well extended. This was just my impressions out of the box, it probably needs a period of burn-in time. I also bought the Brise BSEP cable but still need to try it.

Which sources would you recommend for the IER-Z1R? I was surprised it is a little bit hard to drive, it likes power. I'm receiving a modded WM1A in a couple of weeks. Would it be a good pairing?

Also which eartips are recommended? I used the stock eartips but I'm eager to try other options.
I'm using it with stock cavle and tips. The sony EP-EX11.

WM1A is good pairing, but DMP-Z1 is the best source IMO

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #15,152 of 15,265
I finally order the IER-Z1R and received it today. I was a bit anxious with the fit but no problems. The shells are big and heavy but relatively comfortable to wear. Not sure if it will work for extended periods.

Amazing set. Mild V-shape sound signature. The bass quality and quantity is one the best I've ever heard to date. Immersive soundstage, exceptional imaging and natural timbre. Treble has no peaks and it's well extended. This was just my impressions out of the box, it probably needs a period of burn-in time. I also bought the Brise BSEP cable but still need to try it.

Which sources would you recommend for the IER-Z1R? I was surprised it is a little bit hard to drive, it likes power. I'm receiving a modded WM1A in a couple of weeks. Would it be a good pairing?

Also which eartips are recommended? I used the stock eartips but I'm eager to try other options.
Ibasso DC-Elite... I'm listening to it right now... already at half volume it's a terrifying pair!!!

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #15,153 of 15,265

The WM1AM2 will sound significantly better and is a big upgrade over the WM1A, so that one is highly recommend

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #15,154 of 15,265
Ibasso DC-Elite... I'm listening to it right now... already at half volume it's a terrifying pair!!!
The DC Elite + Z1R provides absurd value.

I found it to sound entirely better than a combo more than triple its price (Fei Wan + DX320x Edition X), and that in itself is fabulous sounding.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 17, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #15,155 of 15,265
Let me hop on the Z1R train :relaxed:

I have owned it for about 2 weeks and got used to the fitment. After trying tons of tips I came back to using stock silicone tips; while it doesn't have the most isolation but has the best sound to my ears.

Might write a full review for this IEM soon if I got some spare time. Would be my first review too coz I'm loving it. :ksc75smile:

Mar 17, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #15,156 of 15,265
Let me hop on the Z1R train :relaxed:

I have owned it for about 2 weeks and got used to the fitment. After trying tons of tips I came back to using stock silicone tips; while it doesn't have the most isolation but has the best sound to my ears.

Might write a full review for this IEM soon if I got some spare time. Would be my first review too coz I'm loving it. :ksc75smile:
Welcome aboard!
I too use the included silicone tips, medium. I tried others but the fit seems to be best with those.

Mar 21, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #15,157 of 15,265
Tried the Z1R with the EP-EX11 that come with the IER-M9 and you were right, it's such a game changer.

They fix the softness issue the original Z1R silicone tips have, being more rigid and therefore better for deeper insertion. Not as rigid as the Final E, but having a shorter stem definitely helps with this IEM.

And most importantly, they make the Z1R sound like the Z1R.

Normally I use either foam or wide bore silicone tips everywhere (Radius Deep Mount are my fave), but this one is the exception.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #15,158 of 15,265
I thought I'd provide some quick hits on the tips I've tried so far, in no particular order:

• Stock triple comfort: Great fit, comfortable. Large bottom end, perhaps a little too muted and "grey" sounding.
  • Stock silicone: Great fit, a little itchy. Big bottom and crystal clear highs, maybe a little splashy. Definitely withdrawn upper mids evident in FR graphs.
  • Final Type E: Great fit, comfortable. Big bottom, full mids, rolled off top with perhaps some midrange funkiness. Soundstage quite collapsed.
  • Spinfit CP100: Could not get good fit or appropriate seal. 2006 Apple earbuds sound.
  • Spinfit CP145: Great fit, moderately comfortable. Good bottom and mids, less withdrawn upper mids, nearly unbearable splashiness.
  • Spinfit CP240: Home run. Comfortable if you can get the good fit (and that's a big if), great isolation. Crystal clear and fast bottom, cleanest mids I've heard, biggest soundstage at all, clear treble almost bordering on splashy but never crossing it.
  • Comply T-400: Bespoke fit great isolation. Nice bottom, warm but slightly honky mids, tastefully reduced treble.
  • Generic Triple Flange: A shock. Fantastic isolation and comfort if the fit is for you (again, big if). Huge bass, perfectly blended into full mids, no withdrawn upper mids. A significant clampdown on the treble - still quite balanced, but the detail seems to vanish. Might not be a bad thing!
  • Azla XELASTEC: Great fit, comfort, and isolation. Pleasant but appreciable reduction in extreme highs and lows. Perhaps robs the Z1R of its magic.
  • Azla EarFitLight Short: Great fit and isolation, a little stiff feeling. Huge low end that gets a bit bloated, reduced treble, and very hard upper mids.
  • Acoustune AET06a S: Terrible fit seal. Harsh treble. Awful.
  • Acoustune AET06a M: Not as bad a seal since it's a totally different shape. This saves the bottom end, but harshness remains.
  • JVC Spiral Dot: Good seal, comfortable. Good bottom, muted treble which emphasizes a slightly honky midrange.
  • JVC Spiral Dot++: The same as the above, the good parts being less good and the bad parts being worse.
  • Discontinued Symbio N: Great seal and comfort. Great tonal balance, perhaps a little to much meat in the mids relative to the treble, but this too might not be a bad thing.
  • Symbio W: I don't have the size I need, but this was promising. Similar to the above, but with less midrange meat, and an appreciable splashiness.
  • Radius Deep Mount: Good fit, comfort, and isolation. Probably the most similar to stock silicone, with a filled in upper midrange at the cost of bass extension.
  • Epro Horn Shaped Tips: Bad fit, bad seal, very hard sounding. Not a great match.
In conclusion, there aren't too many wide-bore tips that have what I would perceive to be a good tonal balance. If they're not unpleasantly bright, they're honky. I suggest sticking on the narrow bore train whenever possible, opting for as deep an insertion as you can get. However, a narrow bore tip doesn't guarantee perfect balance.

I will be sticking with the Spinfit CP240. The second most tolerable were, believe it or not, Comply tips. I was thrilled with the generic triple flange tips, but they were a little too mellow to keep on.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #15,160 of 15,265
The synergy created between the AKHC4, the RA2BFE and the IER-Z1R is truly extraordinary.

Sinergia.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #15,161 of 15,265
Are there some ear tips suitable for IER-Z1R with built-in ear wax protector that ideally do not change the stock sound signature of this IEM?

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:42 AM Post #15,163 of 15,265
They do not have the built-in ear wax protector. So why should I buy them if I am satisfied with SONY silicone tips otherwise?

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #15,165 of 15,265
Thanks for your recommendation. Do these tips change the stock sound signature of IER-Z1R anyhow compared to the SONY stock silicone tips anyhow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back