SONY IER-Z1R
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #15,136 of 15,280
If it works for you, go nuts!
I saw on your signature you have the Sennheiser IE800S, how do they compare to the Z1R?
They really lose the ability to tip roll, that's for sure!

There's a significant upper midrange dip on the IE800S followed by similarly spicy treble. It's not in a spot where the tonality gets weird, but it does give (fake?) the impression of otherworldly clarity and detail. Bass is similarly fantastic, but 7mm full range ain't competing with 16mm woofers. I don't believe humans can actually enjoy all-BA IEMs with that awful timbre (they're the India Pale Ale of headphones) - I can hear the BA poking out on the Z1R a little bit, but nothing but DD from the IE800S.

What I am finding is that I am actually quite underwhelmed by the Z1R because it's so headphone like my brain keeps going "man, this isn't as good as my Susvara", which... yeah, obviously. Whereas the IE800S is very "IEMmy" sounding which gives me a different set of biases altogether.

If you can guarantee the provenance of the IE800S, don't mind intense splashiness, and can get on with the semi removable cable system, they're a great bargain on the aftermarket.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #15,137 of 15,280
They really lose the ability to tip roll, that's for sure!

There's a significant upper midrange dip on the IE800S followed by similarly spicy treble. It's not in a spot where the tonality gets weird, but it does give (fake?) the impression of otherworldly clarity and detail. Bass is similarly fantastic, but 7mm full range ain't competing with 16mm woofers. I don't believe humans can actually enjoy all-BA IEMs with that awful timbre (they're the India Pale Ale of headphones) - I can hear the BA poking out on the Z1R a little bit, but nothing but DD from the IE800S.

What I am finding is that I am actually quite underwhelmed by the Z1R because it's so headphone like my brain keeps going "man, this isn't as good as my Susvara", which... yeah, obviously. Whereas the IE800S is very "IEMmy" sounding which gives me a different set of biases altogether.

If you can guarantee the provenance of the IE800S, don't mind intense splashiness, and can get on with the semi removable cable system, they're a great bargain on the aftermarket.
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
I do agree that the “togetherness”or coherence of a good one DD solution is unmatched by multidriver IEMs. My best IEMs right now are the Beyerdynamic Xelento and the Sony IER-Z1R and switch between them if I prefer comfort or sound, respectively.

I’m reading reviews on the IE800S because I’m looking for something “easy to wear” as the Z1R is not by any stretch of the imagination. You know, for those moments where you just want to listen to music, and not be constantly reminded that you’re wearing IEMs not because of the sound but because of the weight.

Also, I wear glasses and the over the ear cable of the Z1R is annoying sometimes.

Mar 11, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #15,138 of 15,280
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
I do agree that the “togetherness”or coherence of a good one DD solution is unmatched by multidriver IEMs. My best IEMs right now are the Beyerdynamic Xelento and the Sony IER-Z1R and switch between them if I prefer comfort or sound, respectively.

I’m reading reviews on the IE800S because I’m looking for something “easy to wear” as the Z1R is not by any stretch of the imagination. You know, for those moments where you just want to listen to music, and not be constantly reminded that you’re wearing IEMs not because of the sound but because of the weight.

Also, I wear glasses and the over the ear cable of the Z1R is annoying sometimes.
Check out the Sennheiser IE900. To me it's basically a 'baby Z1R' in single DD form, much smaller and more comfortable, with bass that's every bit as special as Z1R's (and more impactful too). It's my go-to for easy listening for hours on end.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #15,139 of 15,280
Check out the Sennheiser IE900. To me it's basically a 'baby Z1R' in single DD form, much smaller and more comfortable, with bass that's every bit as special as Z1R's (and more impactful too). It's my go-to for easy listening for hours on end.
20230423_124939.jpg

I agree The IE900 is small and very comfortable and share the fun of the Z1R. The bass quality also very great and I like them overall, but the bass impact is half level below Z1R IMHO, but if you don't mind they can be great alternative if you prefer single DD. Technicalities on IE900 isn't the strong point of IE900 buat quite decent even not up to other TOTLs.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #15,140 of 15,280
Another baby Z1R is the new Campfire Bonneville, I would say it is tuned a bit more fun than Z1R.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #15,141 of 15,280
I am under the impression that the IE600-900 use the exact same driver, all just using different housings (and therefore tunings). All this 7mm XWB driver.

You'll be hard pressed to find anything smaller than the IE800S.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #15,142 of 15,280
I finally order the IER-Z1R and received it today. I was a bit anxious with the fit but no problems. The shells are big and heavy but relatively comfortable to wear. Not sure if it will work for extended periods.

Amazing set. Mild V-shape sound signature. The bass quality and quantity is one the best I've ever heard to date. Immersive soundstage, exceptional imaging and natural timbre. Treble has no peaks and it's well extended. This was just my impressions out of the box, it probably needs a period of burn-in time. I also bought the Brise BSEP cable but still need to try it.

Which sources would you recommend for the IER-Z1R? I was surprised it is a little bit hard to drive, it likes power. I'm receiving a modded WM1A in a couple of weeks. Would it be a good pairing?

Also which eartips are recommended? I used the stock eartips but I'm eager to try other options.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #15,143 of 15,280
The WM1A will probably be great with it Colin. I actually prefer mine with MUB1 over stock MAX, it's now my goto for Tidal at work. Stock tips for me, do have the ex-11(?) that Guy uses but prefer the silicones it comes with.

BSEP inbound but tbh perfectly happy with stock, bought as a curiosity.

Both MUB1 and Z1R were bought new at the same time so couldn't comment on break in but with a few hundred hours on each now it's a rather good sounding combo. That thought actually went through my head this afternoon whilst working away!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #15,144 of 15,280
1A is good pair, I heard that 1Z is even better, I am pretty sure that the modded one is also fantastic. Stock is good enough as long as it provides good seal.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #15,145 of 15,280
I finally order the IER-Z1R and received it today. I was a bit anxious with the fit but no problems. The shells are big and heavy but relatively comfortable to wear. Not sure if it will work for extended periods.

Amazing set. Mild V-shape sound signature. The bass quality and quantity is one the best I've ever heard to date. Immersive soundstage, exceptional imaging and natural timbre. Treble has no peaks and it's well extended. This was just my impressions out of the box, it probably needs a period of burn-in time. I also bought the Brise BSEP cable but still need to try it.

Which sources would you recommend for the IER-Z1R? I was surprised it is a little bit hard to drive, it likes power. I'm receiving a modded WM1A in a couple of weeks. Would it be a good pairing?

Also which eartips are recommended? I used the stock eartips but I'm eager to try other options.
Hiby R6 Pro II

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #15,146 of 15,280
Chord Mojo2

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #15,147 of 15,280
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #15,148 of 15,280
I used the Mojo2/Poly with the Sinfonia AMP.
Just noticed, have you had your 320 back from Steve or is it in the que? If it's back, managed to put some hours on it / thoughts?

(Apologies for derail)

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #15,149 of 15,280
Just noticed, have you had your 320 back from Steve or is it in the que? If it's back, managed to put some hours on it / thoughts?

(Apologies for derail)
It's with Steve. Next week im getting it.

Mar 12, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #15,150 of 15,280

The WM1A will probably be great with it Colin. I actually prefer mine with MUB1 over stock MAX, it's now my goto for Tidal at work. Stock tips for me, do have the ex-11(?) that Guy uses but prefer the silicones it comes with.

BSEP inbound but tbh perfectly happy with stock, bought as a curiosity.

Both MUB1 and Z1R were bought new at the same time so couldn't comment on break in but with a few hundred hours on each now it's a rather good sounding combo. That thought actually went through my head this afternoon whilst working away!
Welcome to the club! You seem to have it pretty much covered. WM1A should be great; WM1Z is worth hearing if you get the chance. I alternate tips between EP-EX11 and the new Sedna MAX ASMR. Enjoy the journey, these are still my favourite IEMs despite hearing all the bass greats. It's the complete IEM imho, and scales like nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back