SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 8, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #14,881 of 15,377
One could say the IER-M9 is the better IEM and the IER-Z1R is the better earphone :D

I also prefer the M9 and think it’s the real flagship of the IER series. It is one of the few monitor like tuning with actual (world class) treble. But I don’t think I’d be able to part ways with the Z1R anytime soon.

Yes, the tuning is off and I always need a few rounds to adjust to the wonky mids, but everything here is intended. If I were to define the Z1R with one word it would be “minmaxing”. It is a masterclass on how to sacrifice the mids to achieve one of the most acclaimed bass responses out there and wide (maybe too wide) soundstage, and how hard they managed to push the treble without it being fatiguing (note to ChiFi IEM makers: it is about time you stop destroying our ears with the overzealous ear gain and peaky 5kHz region, just because it looks flat on a reviewer clone coupler doesn’t mean it is).

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #14,883 of 15,377
I am back to nearly full Sony combos for Day & Night
For daytime => WM1A (NP-Mod) + IER-Z1R (SednaEarfit Azla MAX TWS tips)
For nights => Qulooz MUB1 + IER-M9 (SednaEarfit MAX ASMR Tips)
Both are mostly used in LDAC BT receiver mode with a Samsung Z Fold 5 connected to my personal streaming server or Qobuz for discovering music.
I have spent these last decades a lot of money in Headphones and IEM ! I don't know how Sony could manage this, but IER-Z1R, for my ears, is clearly, by a big margin, the best sound quality I could ever get even for much more money with some IEM.
Strangely, IER-Z1R with Azla TWS tips offers me a perfect comfort in my ears combined to a very good seal.

I would dream the M9 could offer same SQ because they are really convenient for side sleepers, though timbre is near to perfect, I am often missing the amazing quality for low and ultra low frequencies of the Z1R.

I re-bought this amazing combo IER-Z1R for 950€ and IER-M9 for 650€.... which should be the price reference for any IEM on the market dreaming to reach this SQ level and Timbre.
2024-01-07_11-42-38_CSmoothing3_copie.jpg

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #14,884 of 15,377
The IER-Z1R is excellent in what it does, but i prefer what the IER-M9 does.

It is not a lack of quality or that something is wrong with the IER-Z1R, i just prefer the advantages of an monitor tuning.
Makes sense. I've tried numerous IEMs with neutral monitor tuning and haven't really been able to connect with any of them. Still curious to hear M9 one day.

Jan 8, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #14,885 of 15,377
I am back to nearly full Sony combos for Day & Night
For daytime => WM1A (NP-Mod) + IER-Z1R (SednaEarfit Azla MAX TWS tips)
For nights => Qulooz MUB1 + IER-M9 (SednaEarfit MAX ASMR Tips)
Both are mostly used in LDAC BT receiver mode with a Samsung Z Fold 5 connected to my personal streaming server or Qobuz for discovering music.
I have spent these last decades a lot of money in Headphones and IEM ! I don't know how Sony could manage this, but IER-Z1R, for my ears, is clearly, by a big margin, the best sound quality I could ever get even for much more money with some IEM.
Strangely, IER-Z1R with Azla TWS tips offers me a perfect comfort in my ears combined to a very good seal.

I would dream the M9 could offer same SQ because they are really convenient for side sleepers, though timbre is near to perfect, I am often missing the amazing quality for low and ultra low frequencies of the Z1R.

I re-bought this amazing combo IER-Z1R for 950€ and IER-M9 for 650€.... which should be the price reference for any IEM on the market dreaming to reach this SQ level and Timbre.2024-01-07_11-42-38_CSmoothing3_copie.jpg
May I ask how does the SQ change after the mod? 🙂

Jan 8, 2024 at 6:10 AM Post #14,886 of 15,377
I am often missing the amazing quality for low and ultra low frequencies of the Z1R.
The M9 actually reaches deeper than the Z1R, despite not being sub-bass focused. A sub bass roll off (like the Z1R does) might ironically cause the impression of a more impactful bass response. This is how the DC Phase filter in the Walkman works by the way.

I can only recommend to use the M9 with foams if you care about the bass response. Otherwise the occlusion effect will mess with the sound and the pressure buildup can challenge the driver diaphragm movement for the lower frequencies.

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #14,887 of 15,377
The M9 actually reaches deeper than the Z1R, despite not being sub-bass focused. A sub bass roll off (like the Z1R does) might ironically cause the impression of a more impactful bass response. This is how the DC Phase filter in the Walkman works by the way.

I can only recommend to use the M9 with foams if you care about the bass response. Otherwise the occlusion effect will mess with the sound and the pressure buildup can challenge the driver diaphragm movement for the lower frequencies.

Which foams would you recommend out of interest?

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #14,888 of 15,377
Which foams would you recommend out of interest?
Comply TRZ-200 for neutral sound, Sony EP-NI1000 for "sparkle". Largest size as possible, shallow insert, no need to compress it.

These last about 1-3 months and 8-12 months respectively, in my experience.

Jan 8, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #14,889 of 15,377
Comply TRZ-200 for neutral sound, Sony EP-NI1000 for "sparkle". Largest size as possible, shallow insert, no need to compress it.

These last about 1-3 months and 8-12 months respectively, in my experience.
Thanks. I’ve already got a couple of pairs of EP-NI1000 and agree that they last for ages. Probably are the best set I’ve heard for M9. Just tried the triple comfort too actually and they sound close, but the biggest size are a tad too small (not sure where I’d be able to get replacements for triple comforts, mind).

Also got Symbio F tips which are ok and easy to get hold of if needs be.

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #14,890 of 15,377

I have something like 50 different types of tips in my box (including most of available shapes and size of Comply foam, Spinfit, Azla, Sony, ...)

Strangely, "by mistake" I tried the Azla TWS tips and they matched perfectly for my use with IER-Z1R (not with M9).. with a very convincing ultra low & low frequencies.
They are , in my case more convincing with going lower and almost no distortion than IER-M9 with any type of types of tips. I enjoy every night the IER-M9, but IER-Z1R is a step better with the NW-WM1A NP Mod.

May I ask how does the SQ change after the mod? 🙂
As it took more than one month to mod the NW-WM1A by Nayparm, I can't seriously explain in detail between "Before Mod" and "After Mod".

I can just say that, as it is now,comparing to any of the other DAPs I still own, the moded NW-WM1A is offering easily the best SQ of all, in any near to direct A/B comparison (FIIO M9/M11 & M17, A&K Kann Alpha, Hiby R6Pro, Centance M8V2, XD-05, Quloos MUB1, FIIO BTR7, Qudelix 5K, Shanling UP4-2022, Hiby R3 Pro Saber 2022, .....)
Then available battery plying time is the best too, with more than 16 hours in BT LDAC receiver mode and 20 hours in Hires Flac playing.

So actually NW-WM1A is my favourite player, and Quloos MUB1 a convincing little BT/USB player with enough power to move IER-M9 properly.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #14,893 of 15,377
First of all a short disclaimer, if you have no problem with the OEM cable then please stay with it. As others have pointed out, the Z1R seems to have an unusual mmcx connector and there are owners who have reported a broken IEM after swapping cables.

However, my OEM cable became very sticky and somehow purple over time. I looked for an OEM replacement but could not source one. I was also somehow unhappy with the ergonomics. The ear hooks seem to float over my ears and do not really support the fit, but the sound was great.

In the end, I opted for the Kinera Dromi, which looks like it was made for the Z1R. It has no memory or microphonics and is reasonably priced. It is also very easy to remove (on my Z1R). Ergonomically and aesthetically, I prefer the Dromi to the OEM. In terms of sound, my ears could not detect any significant difference.

Given the risk of breaking your IEM, I cannot recommend the Dromi in general, but if you need a new cable, the Dromi is a good choice.

_DSF7683.jpeg

_DSF7660.jpeg

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #14,894 of 15,377
First of all a short disclaimer, if you have no problem with the OEM cable then please stay with it. As others have pointed out, the Z1R seems to have an unusual mmcx connector and there are owners who have reported a broken IEM after swapping cables.

However, my OEM cable became very sticky and somehow purple over time. I looked for an OEM replacement but could not source one. I was also somehow unhappy with the ergonomics. The ear hooks seem to float over my ears and do not really support the fit, but the sound was great.

In the end, I opted for the Kinera Dromi, which looks like it was made for the Z1R. It has no memory or microphonics and is reasonably priced. It is also very easy to remove (on my Z1R). Ergonomically and aesthetically, I prefer the Dromi to the OEM. In terms of sound, my ears could not detect any significant difference.

Given the risk of breaking your IEM, I cannot recommend the Dromi in general, but if you need a new cable, the Dromi is a good choice.

there's a particular angle to twist the connectors out. ive been on a cable hunt and disconnected them a hundred times easily. the iem female connector is no less worn than new.

Jan 11, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #14,895 of 15,377
I will keep the standard cable plugged in and use the rotting earhooks until the cable literally cuts in half. I don't care. Not teasing the MMCX reaper here this Z1R gets buried with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back