SONY IER-Z1R
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #14,911 of 15,440
I don't know about the MDR-Z1R, been wanting to try, but I used to have the TH900, which is often said to have endgame-level bass for headphones. It's hard to compare because the experiences are different. The TH900 also has excellent depth and texture like the Z1R. The biggest difference for me is the impact. The Z1R actually pounds your head more, while the TH900 has that tactile feedback from the earpads that vibrates your head. Some people might find that distracting. It's a matter of preferences, I think. The Z1R is far better tuned, by the way.

Alright mate, your words described it well. The differences between the bass impact is, the IER one have more bass impact to your eardrum, and can be felt around your ears, while the MDR one have impact on side of your head as one, our part of the skull. The impact feeling of the IER-Z1R is somehow like small earthquake from inside your ears, while MDR-Z1R is felt like giant knock from outside go through the side of your head, maybe that how I would describe the differences of the bass impact. Again, it is really down to personal preferences.

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #14,912 of 15,440
Alright mate, your words described it well. The differences between the bass impact is, the IER one have more bass impact to your eardrum, and can be felt around your ears, while the MDR one have impact on side of your head as one, our part of the skull. The impact feeling of the IER-Z1R is somehow like small earthquake from inside your ears, while MDR-Z1R is felt like giant knock from outside go through the side of your head, maybe that how I would describe the differences of the bass impact. Again, it is really down to personal preferences.
That's a great way to differentiate the two. On the one hand you have the MDR that really envelopes you in this cocoon of warmth yet not sacrificing in terms of resolution. I could listen to the MDR all day. On the other hand, there are times when I do appreciate what the IER is achieving and it has this way of portraying music with resolution and incisiveness. It is different yet just as enjoyable. I enjoy both and both are keepers for me! In terms of comfort though, the MDR wins it for me. While the IER is comfortable, after a couple of hours, I do get fatigue just from the way the iem sits in my ear, especially the left side.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #14,913 of 15,440
That's a great way to differentiate the two. On the one hand you have the MDR that really envelopes you in this cocoon of warmth yet not sacrificing in terms of resolution. I could listen to the MDR all day. On the other hand, there are times when I do appreciate what the IER is achieving and it has this way of portraying music with resolution and incisiveness. It is different yet just as enjoyable. I enjoy both and both are keepers for me! In terms of comfort though, the MDR wins it for me. While the IER is comfortable, after a couple of hours, I do get fatigue just from the way the iem sits in my ear, especially the left side.
Yeah I loved the MDR so much, except for the sharp mid-treble spike that made too much stuff difficult to listen to. Without the spike I'd have kept it for life. As described above, IER is far more visceral in its bass and rumble, MDR is warmer, more pillowy, with a great smoothness, and just one small fly in the ointment.

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #14,914 of 15,440
I have never been impressed by any headphone to be honest. The bass feels less impactful, and music sounds "distant", in the sense that I feel the need to up the volume, but it never gets there, and I get annoyed by it before I get satisfied.

Personally I am yet to experience the pummelling effect that the IER-Z1R provides with another other audio device. Nothing comes close so far. Sure, there are other "basshead" IEMs out there but they simply sound bloated and lacking impact. The Z1R sounds like George Foreman working the heavy bag, while the bass bloated stuff feels like a chihuahua dry humping it.

I guess it's the combination of tasteful tuning, a driver that can move a ton of air and the deep insertion.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #14,915 of 15,440
The IER-Z1R certainly has stood the test of time unlike so many of the IEM offerings over the last 5-6 years, the Empire Ears Legend X is another one that comes to mind. It is a testament to the Z1R. I have bought and sold it a couple of times. I, like many others am patiently waiting for the next Sony flagship IEM. I have paired the Z1R with so many sources that I can't begin to remember what has stood out(all of them I think) :wink: , but I am sure the synergy with a Sony DAP is unrivaled. Currently, I am primarily pairing it with the SP3000, very nice. We could discuss negatives such a fit, weirdish mids or any of the other criticisms but their market endurance speaks for itself.

I am still amazed that I have never heard MDR. It is just that so many other closed backs interested me, and I am into closed back offerings. I hope to find one on the cheap and give it a spin.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #14,916 of 15,440
I have never been impressed by any headphone to be honest. The bass feels less impactful, and music sounds "distant", in the sense that I feel the need to up the volume, but it never gets there, and I get annoyed by it before I get satisfied.

Personally I am yet to experience the pummelling effect that the IER-Z1R provides with another other audio device. Nothing comes close so far. Sure, there are other "basshead" IEMs out there but they simply sound bloated and lacking impact. The Z1R sounds like George Foreman working the heavy bag, while the bass bloated stuff feels like a chihuahua dry humping it.

I guess it's the combination of tasteful tuning, a driver that can move a ton of air and the deep insertion.
Its hard to impossible to get an Over Ear IER-Z1R.

If something like that exists, the MDR-Z1R is what gets closest to it. If the MDR-Z1R doesn't satisfy you, your search is basically over at that point.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #14,917 of 15,440

try the Volur for bass on the quality level of the Z1R, you can also tune it with the apex modules.

Jan 17, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #14,918 of 15,440
Just to share a little experience with the tricky times to spend to find the perfect ear tips .. which is definitely a tough choice between finding :
-> a good sound quality with tight powerful low frequencies ,
-> the easiest way to find a good place in the ear with deep insertion (best SQ)
-> a good passive noise cancelling
-> a long time ear comfort (8 hours or more without any ear canal skin irritations)
-> and drivers must have the good shape to be very stable in the ears, even if the head is moving frequently during day time, to avoid to reposition the drivers frequently (due to going out of the ear canal by them-self)

Till now, I would say :
1) Some Comply foam tips are among the best for my ears though it takes definitely a far too long time to fit perfectly in the ear canal when the foam is too cold (they need 30 minutes or more in the ear canal to reach the best temperature to allow a deep insertion and being able to be stable in the ears for hours)
2) Sony IER-Z1R silicon tips are near to perfect for me, though I still have some random issues to keep a perfect seal when I move too much my head
3) AZLA SednaEarfit Max for TWS tips are very good, but a bit annoying with sometimes some irritations of my ear canal's skin after a few hours using them...
4) some Spinfit and JVC tips are not bad too, but, with my ears, there are always some little seal issues, discomfort or irritations...

I got for a few weeks now the Azla SednaEarfit MAX ASMR, It seems the silicon is maybe different than the none ASMR tips and it seems I don't get any irritation even using them 10 hours or more a day or night. The passive noise cancelling seems not bad too and compatible with working in a noisy office.
Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to get the best sound quality with the IER-Z1R, as they need to be pushed hardly to the max possible position on the Z1R nozzle to obtain the deepest insertion or the drivers in the ear canals.
1705484252266.png

I will see in a few weeks, but, I think they can be endgame for my eartip's search for my IER-Z1R (after 4 years search).. let's wait and see !

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #14,919 of 15,440
I am liking the XM5 tips in size M (Sony EP-NI1010) for the Z1R.

They sound a bit like the stock Triple Comfort, but tame 6kHz further and don't nuke the air frequencies that much.

They also match the cable color so it they look awesome.

Just not recommended unless you can get them for cheap in some service centre.

I cannot use most silicone tips on the Z1R as I tend to lose seal. Most foams don't work either (Comply etc) because the rigid stem doesn't let me do proper deep insertion.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #14,920 of 15,440

I have similar experience, since I'm a bass quality seeker, very picky one. I reach to famous basshead IEMs and high rated bass section from reviewers, but nothing come close to Z1R, as you said they if there are bass heavy IEMs, they are bloated yet the impact isnt up to Z1R, the rest also don't have impact like Z1R. I have few candidates that can be the runner up though.
20221105_091210.jpg
My Mest have clean non bloated bass that dig down, but the impact isn't like Z1R, same goes with Mest mk2, never tried the mkIII but supposed to be the same or similar. Bass score is 8.5/10 for me (Z1R is 9.5/10, could be 10/10 just slight nitpick from picky me, lower the mid bass at 100-150hz little bit)

20230423_125007.jpg
Next the Senns IE900, believed to have great bass through the time, I kinda like it actually, small yet powerful, great bass but still lose the impact compared to the Z1R, bass score is 9/10 for me

20230423_131356.jpg
Fir Audio Xenon 6, promoted with Kinetic bass for bass lovers, ugh.. I give it 6.5/10 for the bass actually, bass bleed everywhere, very thick upper bass. The Radon 6 I believe is the great revision to the Xe6

I also tried lot of other IEMs too from budget level to TOTLs, I have to stop here with Z1R I think.

TLDR : IER-Z1R is still bass king, quality wise. Combination of the bass impact, speed, texture and depth is magical.

Its hard to impossible to get an Over Ear IER-Z1R.

If something like that exists, the MDR-Z1R is what gets closest to it. If the MDR-Z1R doesn't satisfy you, your search is basically over at that point.
You are right. I should stop here.

try the Volur for bass on the quality level of the Z1R, you can also tune it with the apex modules.
I never heard the 64 audio Volur, but from FR, looks like they are thicker on mid and upper bass, I prefer the tuck in bass tuning for cleaner bass, in 64audio, it is the u4s or u12t

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #14,921 of 15,440
I am liking the XM5 tips in size M (Sony EP-NI1010) for the Z1R.

They sound a bit like the stock Triple Comfort, but tame 6kHz further and don't nuke the air frequencies that much.

They also match the cable color so it they look awesome.

Just not recommended unless you can get them for cheap in some service centre.

I cannot use most silicone tips on the Z1R as I tend to lose seal. Most foams don't work either (Comply etc) because the rigid stem doesn't let me do proper deep insertion.
I can use the IER-Z1R with foam but only with S-Size (where i use M or L with other In-Ear)

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #14,922 of 15,440
I have similar experience, since I'm a bass quality seeker, very picky one. I reach to famous basshead IEMs and high rated bass section from reviewers, but nothing come close to Z1R, as you said they if there are bass heavy IEMs, they are bloated yet the impact isnt up to Z1R, the rest also don't have impact like Z1R. I have few candidates that can be the runner up though.

My Mest have clean non bloated bass that dig down, but the impact isn't like Z1R, same goes with Mest mk2, never tried the mkIII but supposed to be the same or similar. Bass score is 8.5/10 for me (Z1R is 9.5/10, could be 10/10 just slight nitpick from picky me, lower the mid bass at 100-150hz little bit)

Next the Senns IE900, believed to have great bass through the time, I kinda like it actually, small yet powerful, great bass but still lose the impact compared to the Z1R, bass score is 9/10 for me

Fir Audio Xenon 6, promoted with Kinetic bass for bass lovers, ugh.. I give it 6.5/10 for the bass actually, bass bleed everywhere, very thick upper bass. The Radon 6 I believe is the great revision to the Xe6

I also tried lot of other IEMs too from budget level to TOTLs, I have to stop here with Z1R I think.

TLDR : IER-Z1R is still bass king, quality wise. Combination of the bass impact, speed, texture and depth is magical.

You are right. I should stop here.

I never heard the 64 audio Volur, but from FR, looks like they are thicker on mid and upper bass, I prefer the tuck in bass tuning for cleaner bass, in 64audio, it is the u4s or u12t
I had the U4s, the volur Bass is a noticeable upgrade. It's not fair to the U4s.

No ba can come close to the double dd isobaric Volür. The u12T should not even be in the conversation with the Volür, just as it shouldn't be mentioned in relation to the Z1R.

I have the Volür and the Z1R, and I'm telling you, and many others have said similar, the quality of bass on the two is comparable. Forget a graph, rely on ears. It's a huge mistake to do that.

Many posters here who have heard a lot of high end IEM all rate the Volür bass as the best ever or tied for firstin an iem, and that includes those who heard a 1zr. And you just dismissed them because of a graph.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #14,923 of 15,440
I had the U4s, the volur Bass is a noticeable upgrade. It's not fair to the U4s.

No ba can come close to the double dd isobaric Volür. The u12T should not even be in the conversation with the Volür, just as it shouldn't be mentioned in relation to the Z1R.

I have the Volür and the Z1R, and I'm telling you, and many others have said similar, the quality of bass on the two is comparable. Forget a graph, rely on ears. It's a huge mistake to do that.

Many posters here who have heard a lot of high end IEM all rate the Volür bass as the best ever or tied for firstin an iem, and that includes those who heard a 1zr. And you just dismissed them because of a graph.
To be fair, with every new In-Ear that gets release, people say the bass is comparable to the IER-Z1R, until the next gets released, then people say its an unfair comparison because a newer model is out.

Since 2018, a ton of In-Ear have been released where people once said, they have comparable or even better bass, and now nobody talks anymore about them. so it is totally fair to doubt it.

The Isobaric Double DD in the Volür is designed to have an higher volume (or lower distortion at the same volume). Better measurements is the only reason why this thing exists in the first place and the only thing it does better compared to an average DD.

So if the only difference is a measurement, it is fair to look at the measurement. 64 Audio basically tells you to do so.

BA Bass always outperforms DD Bass. That reason people say DD sounds better is because it is actually worse. The added distortion by the DD increases the subjective experience (the same way, people say tube amps sound better or vinyl sound better). So we are not talking about better quality but better subjective likeness. As the Design from 64 Audio decreases distortion, it is very likely that the subjective performance is not as good as people are liking the IER-Z1R for exactly that reason.

But as 64 Audio is heavily overpriced (They just buy parts and tuck them together unlike the IER-Z1R which is completely designed, developed and manufactured by Sony in Japan) so i don't see paying 2750€ for off-the-shelve parts worth ~400€ with some optimizations in the housing.

So even if the Volür would have comparable bass, it would be the worse deal all around

Jan 17, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #14,924 of 15,440
There is no way my brain would hear nothing but the best after dropping 3k on an IEM.

Jan 17, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #14,925 of 15,440
There is no way my brain would hear nothing but the best after dropping 3k on an IEM.
Reminds me of the Susvara Thread where several people, seriosusly, said "You are uanble to judge the Susvara unless you payed for it with your own money".

That is basically openly stating "It sounds good because i payed a lot of money for it"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back