SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 7, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #14,251 of 15,276
I can only 100% agree to @Alu and @The1Signature

There is this concept that speakers are best, headphones are an watered down version of speakers and earphones are an watered down versions of headphones.

But this mindset is very outdated (lots of audiphiles are purists and things only change very slowly in the audiophile world) imho and in my experience, its the opposite way. Earphones are the best, then come headphones and even my 2000€ MDR-Z1R easily beats 40'000€ Speaker setups in optimized rooms. I've heard so many speaker setups from crazy enthusiasts who spend up to 100'000€ on their setups and they sometimes ask for my opinion and i have to bite my tounge not to say "Well, my earphone are better". I always have to find some diplomatic answer^^

Not just we, more and more people (and especially a lot of professional musicians, not just on stage but especially in studios while recording/mixing/mastering) are shifting towards earphones. Where speakers where the reference in the past and Headphones/Earphones have been used in addition to verify and fine-tune, more and more studios start so use earhpones as the reference. Even in the Studio where is not even remotely as loud as on the side of an stage, the isolation is worth gold and the sound quality is just so much better.

Which makes sense. The further the source is from your ear, the more factors you have to control, the more variables you have you can not control, and so on. With Headphones you need one single driver that is very hard to tune and control to do the whole frequency spectrum. In an multi driver earphone you can tune every single driver seperately and then you can control which driver gets how much electricity and so on. An speaker setup have to control thousands of liters of air, the reverb from your own body, all walls and the phase differences from the other speakers and so on. Its not even an competition.

I tested way more Headphones than Earphones and still i only own one single Headphone i only use 10% of the time (if at all). Every Headphone i test lets me dissapointed.

I recently tested the Final D8000 which is an excellent Headphone, it is really really good but then you compare it to the Final A8000 which costs >1000€ less and its just worse. The A8000 is just better in everything, including comfort. Not just the sound quality itself, so many factors in addition like, they sound the same, no matter if i am wearing glasses or not, they isolate stronger and so enable me to hear the music better without pushing them hard. Or take people with long hair (often woman) and so on.

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #14,252 of 15,276
My bed side rig after our move

IMG_8115.jpeg

Aug 7, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #14,253 of 15,276
I actually did!
The problem (well, it's not a problem, is it) is the Z1R works better with it and I'm starting to prefer IEMs in general.
Well if you're planning to sell thw utopias chime in, i am interested

Aug 7, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #14,254 of 15,276
I can only 100% agree to @Alu and @The1Signature

There is this concept that speakers are best, headphones are an watered down version of speakers and earphones are an watered down versions of headphones.

But this mindset is very outdated (lots of audiphiles are purists and things only change very slowly in the audiophile world) imho and in my experience, its the opposite way. Earphones are the best, then come headphones and even my 2000€ MDR-Z1R easily beats 40'000€ Speaker setups in optimized rooms. I've heard so many speaker setups from crazy enthusiasts who spend up to 100'000€ on their setups and they sometimes ask for my opinion and i have to bite my tounge not to say "Well, my earphone are better". I always have to find some diplomatic answer^^

Not just we, more and more people (and especially a lot of professional musicians, not just on stage but especially in studios while recording/mixing/mastering) are shifting towards earphones. Where speakers where the reference in the past and Headphones/Earphones have been used in addition to verify and fine-tune, more and more studios start so use earhpones as the reference. Even in the Studio where is not even remotely as loud as on the side of an stage, the isolation is worth gold and the sound quality is just so much better.

Which makes sense. The further the source is from your ear, the more factors you have to control, the more variables you have you can not control, and so on. With Headphones you need one single driver that is very hard to tune and control to do the whole frequency spectrum. In an multi driver earphone you can tune every single driver seperately and then you can control which driver gets how much electricity and so on. An speaker setup have to control thousands of liters of air, the reverb from your own body, all walls and the phase differences from the other speakers and so on. Its not even an competition.

I tested way more Headphones than Earphones and still i only own one single Headphone i only use 10% of the time (if at all). Every Headphone i test lets me dissapointed.

I recently tested the Final D8000 which is an excellent Headphone, it is really really good but then you compare it to the Final A8000 which costs >1000€ less and its just worse. The A8000 is just better in everything, including comfort. Not just the sound quality itself, so many factors in addition like, they sound the same, no matter if i am wearing glasses or not, they isolate stronger and so enable me to hear the music better without pushing them hard. Or take people with long hair (often woman) and so on.

For me it's headphones, speakers then IEMs. while IEMs are certainly fairly acoustically capable the physicality of the base reproduction is nowhere near as good as the other options. also I find the sensation of my ears being plugged less comfortable than my ears having headphones over them or nothing at all.

Aug 7, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #14,255 of 15,276
I share a wall so iems and headphones give me the freedom to listen when, and at the volume I like. I find my IER-Z1R to be my favourite for music, but prefer my MDR-Z1R for comfort, and a more speaker-like experience for movies. I've never had a good stereo/speakers, but even my average car stereo's bass experience impresses me, something my personal audio gear can't quite reproduce - I'm not talking the thud of an EDM kick drum, just a depth I assume created by a larger speaker.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #14,256 of 15,276
Well if you're planning to sell thw utopias chime in, i am interested
I don't think I will sell these, mainly because they're still the best headphones I've ever heard.
They're also the most comfortable set I've ever owned.

I still feel like if I get a new album, I want to hear it on these as a benchmark and then see what it's like on everything else.
And another huge advantage is when I do want to hear the door or someone talking to me, these will make it easier to do just that.

I'm now supremely happy that when I travel (and I normally have to work), I can just sit there and use the Z1R for great sound quality to take with me.

Aug 8, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #14,257 of 15,276
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #14,258 of 15,276
I share a wall so iems and headphones give me the freedom to listen when, and at the volume I like. I find my IER-Z1R to be my favourite for music, but prefer my MDR-Z1R for comfort, and a more speaker-like experience for movies. I've never had a good stereo/speakers, but even my average car stereo's bass experience impresses me, something my personal audio gear can't quite reproduce - I'm not talking the thud of an EDM kick drum, just a depth I assume created by a larger speaker.
I'm in a detached and would choose listening with my KEF LS50WII speakers (plus Kube8b sub) everytime, then IEM's as I just can't do with earphones clamped around my head.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #14,259 of 15,276
I can't discuss speakers because I've never had a high-end setup. Currently, I use an Edifier 2.1 system at home for movies and gaming. The bass from this system already shakes the entire house. I'm uncertain whether investing in a high-end speaker setup would provide a comfortable experience. However, I can compare my IER-Z1R and Fostex TH900 mk2, both renowned for their top-tier bass, and they're very close. The difference lies in their presentation: the Z1R makes your eardrum rumble more, while the TH900 shakes your head. Nevertheless, the Z1R is much better tuned. The TH900 can be quite ear-piercing if I play the wrong tracks.

Aug 8, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #14,260 of 15,276
IER family photo.

First impressions of the Z1R are very positive. I don’t love the tuning, it is a bit too lean for my tastes, but I understand what Sony tried to do here. And I think they succeeded.

I will write some comparisons once the honeymoon period is over.

Attachments

• IMG_8747.jpeg
    IMG_8747.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Aug 8, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #14,261 of 15,276
IER family photo.

First impressions of the Z1R are very positive. I don’t love the tuning, it is a bit too lean for my tastes, but I understand what Sony tried to do here. And I think they succeeded.

I will write some comparisons once the honeymoon period is over.
Nice family photo.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #14,262 of 15,276
Has anyone used these cases for the Z1R ?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #14,263 of 15,276
Has anyone used these cases for the Z1R ?
Yes - ultimately I came down to not liking them while wearing the Z1R.
I think they make the IEM ever so slightly larger, which results in discomfort.
Also, the material didn't feel great after a while.

Initially I thought they provided more of a cushiony feel, but after spending some time with these, I took them off for good.
And unless you're willing to remove the cable to remove this cover every time, I would not recommend these.

YMMV though!

A lot of people can't get the Z1R to be comfortable, for example, and I'm wearing them all day, so I may just be a freak.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #14,264 of 15,276
Yes - ultimately I came down to not liking them while wearing the Z1R.
I think they make the IEM ever so slightly larger, which results in discomfort.
Also, the material didn't feel great after a while.

Initially I thought they provided more of a cushiony feel, but after spending some time with these, I took them off for good.
And unless you're willing to remove the cable to remove this cover every time, I would not recommend these.

YMMV though!

A lot of people can't get the Z1R to be comfortable, for example, and I'm wearing them all day, so I may just be a freak.
I'm actually trying to prevent scratches though. Comfort is no issue for me with the Z1R, I don't mind big IEMs as long as the nozzle is small. Nozzle size is about the same as the IER-M9 which is very comfortable.

Aug 9, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #14,265 of 15,276
I'm actually trying to prevent scratches though. Comfort is no issue for me with the Z1R, I don't mind big IEMs as long as the nozzle is small. Nozzle size is about the same as the IER-M9 which is very comfortable.
They definitely work well for that!
They also fit like a glove on the device itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back