SONY IER-Z1R
Aug 3, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #14,221 of 15,296
Maybe in order to be owner of Z1R, one wouldn’t have fit issue in the first place
Nope, buy first and eventually you'll find a good fit 😂

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #14,223 of 15,296
WOW congrats! Just don't give up if you have fit issues at first(not that I think you would). They are more than worth the effort.
I had a month and gave up. As great as they sound I need comfort too over a few hours and seeing as perfectly happy with my M9 I've already sold them. I'm glad I tried them though and they are special. If they bring out a Mk2 Z1R in much smaller/lighter size I will certainly be interested. I just don't get on with large/heavy ones, sold my Noble K10U for same reason.

I also had the Sony WF-1000XM4 and sold on as felt too large, now got the WF-1000XM5 and totally love them with reduced size, weight (better sound too).

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #14,224 of 15,296
And I fixed mine with 1 size smaller tip.:gs1000smile: I’m using the xelastic tips.
I liked the xelastic tips for my outside iems because they are so sticky and never fall out but they deformed real fast(I did try the hotwater method to save them and they went back to maybe 80% of the original shape but less sticky too) I am trying the Crystals now that supposedly don't deform and slightly less sticky. Also ordered some Max Standards for fun as they were on sale, heard some love these and some hate but it's all preference.
My go to still are the cheap Sony EP-EX11

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #14,225 of 15,296
I liked the xelastic tips for my outside iems because they are so sticky and never fall out but they deformed real fast(I did try the hotwater method to save them and they went back to maybe 80% of the original shape but less sticky too) I am trying the Crystals now that supposedly don't deform and slightly less sticky. Also ordered some Max Standards for fun as they were on sale, heard some love these and some hate but it's all preference.
My go to still are the cheap Sony EP-EX11
They are not cheap, the others are expensive^^

Aug 3, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #14,226 of 15,296
image.jpg

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #14,227 of 15,296
I'm now the owner of the Sony's that @psikey struggled fit wise with.

I guess I'm like many other UK users in regards to struggling to get these at a decent price due to Sony choosing not sell in the UK. 2nd hand market becomes the go to for trying the z1r.

Don't want to lavish too much early praise but after a couple of hours I can see why these are a much loved set of earphones.

Fit wise I think I'm going to be one of the lucky ones, I must have big inner ears as they fit nice and snug and have had no issues.
I'm limited in choice of tips so far. I'm using the stock ML spongy tips as they seem to provide best seal and fit. The silicone tips are fine but don't seal as well.
I've tried my CP145 and W1 tips but prefer stock tips so far.

Just out of curiosity - how many are still using stock tips and if not what seems to be the top of choice?

20230803_154443.jpg

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #14,228 of 15,296
I'm now the owner of the Sony's that @psikey struggled fit wise with.

I guess I'm like many other UK users in regards to struggling to get these at a decent price due to Sony choosing not sell in the UK. 2nd hand market becomes the go to for trying the z1r.

Don't want to lavish too much early praise but after a couple of hours I can see why these are a much loved set of earphones.

Fit wise I think I'm going to be one of the lucky ones, I must have big inner ears as they fit nice and snug and have had no issues.
I'm limited in choice of tips so far. I'm using the stock ML spongy tips as they seem to provide best seal and fit. The silicone tips are fine but don't seal as well.
I've tried my CP145 and W1 tips but prefer stock tips so far.

Just out of curiosity - how many are still using stock tips and if not what seems to be the top of choice?

20230803_154443.jpg
Still using the Stock Tips here, they work perfect for me so never had an reason to change them. I tried the Canal Works Gel Tips and Spinfit and Foam but always ended up with the stock ones

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #14,229 of 15,296
my totl transportable combo atm.

20230706_000735.jpg

Aug 3, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #14,230 of 15,296
Still using the Stock Tips here, they work perfect for me so never had an reason to change them. I tried the Canal Works Gel Tips and Spinfit and Foam but always ended up with the stock ones
Yeah I’ve found that the stock tips work really well for me.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #14,231 of 15,296
After months of searching in the used market, I decided to get a brand new Z1R. It's worth buying new, they're the most beautiful and recognizable IEM. Coming from the M9, I definitely had fit issues at first. Now, I've found the right technique to wear them. They are definitely not supremely comfortable like the M9, but I can use them for 2-3 hours. The stock M9 tips work best for me, so I ordered a bunch of them from a spare parts website.

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #14,232 of 15,296
After months of searching in the used market, I decided to get a brand new Z1R. It's worth buying new, they're the most beautiful and recognizable IEM. Coming from the M9, I definitely had fit issues at first. Now, I've found the right technique to wear them. They are definitely not supremely comfortable like the M9, but I can use them for 2-3 hours. The stock M9 tips work best for me, so I ordered a bunch of them from a spare parts website.
Maybe the tips from M9/M7 are the same as XBA-Z5 tops which im using on my Z1R

Aug 4, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #14,233 of 15,296
Maybe the tips from M9/M7 are the same as XBA-Z5 tops which im using on my Z1R
According to the spare parts website i'm using, a few other models also use these tips like the WF-1000XM3, XBA-N1-2-3 etc... Sony have several versions of these tips in different colors

Aug 4, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #14,234 of 15,296
According to the spare parts website i'm using, a few other models also use these tips like the WF-1000XM3, XBA-N1-2-3 etc... Sony have several versions of these tips in different colors
Pn my Z1R i am using the blavk silicone tips from XBA-Z5 in size M (green colored inner tubing) and on the Z5 sue to unatablw fit i am usong my customArt custom tips to ge thw best fit on these Z5s. I dis try these custom tips on Z1R but the center of gravity gets away deon thw inner canal which helps support most of Z1R weight thus mahibg the fit a bit unstable for me

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #14,235 of 15,296
Pn my Z1R i am using the blavk silicone tips from XBA-Z5 in size M (green colored inner tubing) and on the Z5 sue to unatablw fit i am usong my customArt custom tips to ge thw best fit on these Z5s. I dis try these custom tips on Z1R but the center of gravity gets away deon thw inner canal which helps support most of Z1R weight thus mahibg the fit a bit unstable for me

The M9 hybrid (silicone) tips are EP-EX11

Users who are viewing this thread

• FPFi
Back