SONY IER-Z1R
Jul 28, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #14,191 of 15,378
Anybody with super small ears using the Z1R on a daily basis? I would love to try them out and own them one day, is it feasible for us small ears in the long run?
I think it's actually better for people with small ears. Those with large ears tend to struggle to get a seal and try push the IEMs deeper, causing unnecessary pain.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #14,192 of 15,378
I think it's actually better for people with small ears. Those with large ears tend to struggle to get a seal and try push the IEMs deeper, causing unnecessary pain.
That's good to hear, I should find an opportunity to try them out.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #14,193 of 15,378
Anybody with super small ears using the Z1R on a daily basis? I would love to try them out and own them one day, is it feasible for us small ears in the long run?
I have rather small ears and its okay but its not an comfortable IEM for me. The back of the IEM (the air vent section) is rather pointy and hurts over time. When i listen to them for like an hour, i have an red mark on my ear where this section of the IEM is and i have to take a break.

I can wear the IER-M9 much longer but even those start to hurt because the back of the IER-M9 also pushes slightly against my right ear. Because they are rounded, i can bear it much longer, for several hours, but at least for my ear size, i would not consider the IER-Z1R comfortable. Its not an issue, its just nothing i want to listen to longer than an hour, often i take them out after 30 minutes because i want to remove them before its to late

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #14,194 of 15,378
I have rather small ears and its okay but its not an comfortable IEM for me. The back of the IEM (the air vent section) is rather pointy and hurts over time. When i listen to them for like an hour, i have an red mark on my air where this section of the IEM is and i have to take a break.

I can wear the IER-M9 much longer but even those start to hurt because the back of the IER-M9 also pushes slightly against my right ear. Because they are rounded, i can bear it much longer, for several hours, but at least for my ear size, i would not consider the IER-Z1R comfortable. Its not an issue, its just nothing i want to listen to longer than an hour, often i take them out after 30 minutes because i want to remove them before its to late
Thanks for an honest reply, I reckon I would've never felt any pain yet doing short demo sessions.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #14,195 of 15,378
Thanks for an honest reply, I reckon I would've never felt any pain yet doing short demo sessions.
But i do have issues with a lot of IEMs in term of comfort, so my ears are most likely not average.

I also have pain listening to the FiiO FA9 for longer than 1,5-2 hours, even though its a soft resin shell and good rounded (its pushing too much at the top of my ear). I can listen to the TG335 for longer even though its bigger, just because its shaped different.

The 5/COSMOS is smaller than the FA9 and the TG335, but it also hurts after 45 Minutes. So its rather the shape of the IEM than the size for me. Everything that "backloads" hurts my ears.

The most comfortable IEM i have tried so far have been ones from Vision Ears and the Moondrop S8, they are the only ones that literally disappear in my ear. So everything with this "drop" shape that does not have something pointing backwards is perfect for me^^

If it wouldn't be for the pointy air vent, i could wear the IER-Z1R for several hours, its only this one aspect that annoys me

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #14,196 of 15,378
But i do have issues with a lot of IEMs in term of comfort, so my ears are most likely not average.

I also have pain listening to the FiiO FA9 for longer than 1,5-2 hours, even though its a soft resin shell and good rounded (its pushing too much at the top of my ear). I can listen to the TG335 for longer even though its bigger, just because its shaped different.

The 5/COSMOS is smaller than the FA9 and the TG335, but it also hurts after 45 Minutes. So its rather the shape of the IEM than the size for me. Everything that "backloads" hurts my ears.

The most comfortable IEM i have tried so far have been ones from Vision Ears and the Moondrop S8, they are the only ones that literally disappear in my ear. So everything with this "drop" shape that does not have something pointing backwards is perfect for me^^

If it wouldn't be for the pointy air vent, i could wear the IER-Z1R for several hours, its only this one aspect that annoys me
I think I do share the same curse, quite rare to find a comfortable fitting IEM and usually the ones we like (sound-wise) usually end up hurting our ears! I wore my Fitear EST Universal without any tips on and the seal is perfect that is how small my ears are. Still looking forward to trying out the Z1Rs though.

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #14,197 of 15,378
I think I do share the same curse, quite rare to find a comfortable fitting IEM and usually the ones we like (sound-wise) usually end up hurting our ears! I wore my Fitear EST Universal without any tips on and the seal is perfect that is how small my ears are. Still looking forward to trying out the Z1Rs though.
You're sure you did not accidently buy a custom? Wasn't it strange that they took an impression of your ear to sell you an universal?

Just kidding though^^ but wow that is small! But on the other hand, FitEar are insanely large! Even the TG335 is large enough that the foam tips i use are basically just a thin layer. Its more like "foam coating" on them. They have the largest stems i've ever seen

Jul 28, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #14,198 of 15,378
You're sure you did not accidently buy a custom? Wasn't it strange that they took an impression of your ear to sell you an universal?

Just kidding though^^ but wow that is small! But on the other hand, FitEar are insanely large! Even the TG335 is large enough that the foam tips i use are basically just a thin layer. Its more like "foam coating"

Just kidding though^^ but wow that is small! But on the other hand, FitEar are insanely large! Even the TG335 is large enough that the foam tips i use are basically just a thin layer. Its more like "foam coating" on them. They have the largest stems i've ever seen
Guess I have to gamble whether the shape of Z1R suits my ears. 😅

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #14,199 of 15,378
I have really small ears and experience no issues with the Z1R for fit or comfort. It may not just be size, but also the shape of your ear that is a factor, as people with all sizes seem to encounter discomfort. I count myself lucky as I had not wanted to take a gamble on international shipping and taxes to find they didn't work out and had put off trying them for a year.
I don't listen to them all day, but the 1-2.5 hour sessions in a week I do I find them an ideal fit, and rarely need to adjust them, only when I have the cable clipped high and the loop it forms puts an upward pressure disturbing the fit slightly.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #14,200 of 15,378
I find that as long as I rotate the Z1R forward a bit(so that only the rounded bits make skin contact), I can wear them comfortably for as long as I want. As a side effect, the cable loops over your ear more snugly, which also helps fit and stability. (I have average sized ears)

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #14,201 of 15,378
I can now say with 100% certainty that I don’t like the Kimber MUC-M12SB2 cables, I have tried to use them with my new Z1R and I find them very cumbersome. It’s a shame since I really like the way they look and are very high quality so I guess I’m back to stock ones.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #14,202 of 15,378
I have rather small ears and its okay but its not an comfortable IEM for me. The back of the IEM (the air vent section) is rather pointy and hurts over time. When i listen to them for like an hour, i have an red mark on my ear where this section of the IEM is and i have to take a break.

Just as comparrison, my ears are small/medium for a European and I can wear my M9's most of work day and only start to notice Z1R after say 2 hours.

Jul 28, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #14,203 of 15,378
I can now say with 100% certainty that I don’t like the Kimber MUC-M12SB2 cables, I have tried to use them with my new Z1R and I find them very cumbersome. It’s a shame since I really like the way they look and are very high quality so I guess I’m back to stock ones.
I'm fine with it, you mean the cable sheaf being a bit stiff, lacking flexibility?

I had a really early Kimber 4.4mm and that was nice soft & flexible, bit like standard cable, but I think they changed something with the newer version.

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #14,204 of 15,378
I'm fine with it, you mean the cable sheaf being a bit stiff, lacking flexibility?

I had a really early Kimber 4.4mm and that was nice soft & flexible, bit like standard cable, but I think they changed something with the newer version.
I found them not quite as flexible or soft as the stock, they are heavier and a little cumbersome due to the weight, and for some reason they get tangled up easier than the stock cables. These are just a few experiences I had using them, perhaps I expected a little too much from these cables, quality wise they are very well built I like the look and feel they have.

Jul 31, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #14,205 of 15,378
I find the M9 so much easier to wear yet still sounds great in different ways. I keep seesawing between Z1R & M9.

Its not a straightforward decision between the two for me, but on SQ alone I have to give it to the Z1R and on fit/size the M9.

I can see why people are divided between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back